Thoughts on 2003 TL Type-S?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2003, 10:26 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thoughts on 2003 TL Type-S?

I am a newbie on this forum so nice to meet you guys. I am looking at the new 2003 Acura TL Type-S. First of all, how is the sound system on this sedan? For those of you who have this vehicle, does the paint get damaged easily by peebles on the highway on the hood or front end? Lastly, do they sell the dark smoke plastic hood protector for this car? If yes, how much and where? Thanks for your input.
Old 04-11-2003, 11:34 PM
Instructor

Regarding the sound system, it all depends on what your levels of expectation are. I personally didn't think it was that great, maybe good to fair for the average person. I kept the stock head unit, but had a separate amp, eq, and speakers installed with additional deadening material placed in the doors. But, then again, I'm a bit of an audio/video nut...

Regarding the second, do a search and you hear from tons of people how easily a rock can chip the hood, side mirror covers, etc.

The other questions, I'm sure someone else would be able to answer.

ckNJ
Old 04-11-2003, 11:50 PM
Advanced

Personally...I think the sounds system is 1 area that needs improved on future TL-S's. It only has 5 speakers... The quality may be considered by some to be good (BOSE), but the level of sound sucks!

I wouldn't let this stop you from getting a TL-S, but I'd consider upgrading the stock speakers.
Old 04-12-2003, 01:18 PM
Instructor

Yeah, I've had my TL-S for about a month now and am not impressed with the sound system. It's pretty muddy sounding. It's well documented in the Audio section of the message board.
Old 04-12-2003, 04:24 PM
Instructor

what other cars are you looking at? For the price, its really hard to get a better car, unless you buy used. I';ve only driven the one my dad and i share once, becasue im at college. I also test drove one, and from that test drive i think i liked it as much as my old A4 2.8 w/sport package (and i loved that car). The type-s has alot more power and features, but it doenst handle as well. It is alot bigger inside, and out. The tl is one of the very few japanese cars i like.
The stereo is someting you can upgrade if you arent satisfied. i personally think it should have more than 5 speakers.
Old 04-12-2003, 04:51 PM
Advanced

Re: Thoughts on 2003 TL Type-S?

Originally posted by hoangphudpm
I am a newbie on this forum so nice to meet you guys. I am looking at the new 2003 Acura TL Type-S. First of all, how is the sound system on this sedan? For those of you who have this vehicle, does the paint get damaged easily by peebles on the highway on the hood or front end? Lastly, do they sell the dark smoke plastic hood protector for this car? If yes, how much and where? Thanks for your input.
About the sound system - horrible! I found that I HAD to replace the speakers in order to remotely enjoy the stereo. Since the BOSE system is "equalized" there is a modification you can make to a specific Polk speaker that will make it sound better. I have heard a lot of people upgrading the whole system with new head-unit, amps and speakers. That is always an option, but I outgrew that many years ago. Once I replaced the front speakers, the system was much better and sounded decent.

I live in FL, so I don't know about the paint-chipping, but I did have a '94 Intagra GS-R when I lived in CT and it was as good as you could expect.

The only other thing I found somewhat lacking was the tires. As with most stock tires they are pretty weak (noisy and not the best performance). I sold my tires on eBay for $100 each and replaced them with a set of Yokomaha AVS E100 for $120 each - what a difference! The new tires put the car in a whole new handling a "feel" category. It rides smoother, handles so much better and is much quieter on the highway.

Besides the stereo and tires (minor things to fix), the car is better than I expected. I test-drove EVERYTHING else in the price-range, and the TL-S always came out on top when taking price into consideration. If price isn't your first concern, the Audi A4 3.0 with Sport and Premium Package is absolutely amazing, but $8000 more than the TL-S.

Hope that helped.
Old 04-12-2003, 05:26 PM
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i have to agree with everyone here. The sound system is not that great.
paint get damage pretty easily.
I wouldnt go for the plastic hood cover. The better alternative would be stoneguard or clear bra.
But Why would you be worry about that? shouldnt you be more worry on the tranny?

Ok enough with the cons on the TL-S.
I love my car. Its the best car in that price range(IMO)
Its full of features(dun wanna bore everyone by listing them) and very sexy looking as well.

Now, if you gonna consider other cars of the same price range. I would definitely recommend you on the G35(peferly coupe).
A friend of mine just got the G35 sedan and the sound system is great. (well better mine)
Or maybe you should wait for the 04 TL. It looks very nice
although its only a prototype. The price is gonna be much higher than the current TL. 36-38k ??
Old 04-12-2003, 05:36 PM
Team Anthracite Member

I agree with everything said about the stereo. It is decent for 90 percent of people out there, but it misses the mark for anyone who has ever had an aftermarket system. I had a pretty big system in my 2000 TL, and I was so used to the deafening sound of the old one that I replaced the one in my 2003 10 days after I picked it up. That said, the system is by no means a piece of crap......just an average system in a mainly far-above-average vehicle. Don't let it stop you since you can upgrade to Polks anytime, and the car itself is probably the best dollar value currently on the market.

As far as the front end goes, the paint holds up pretty well. The major abuse seems to be on the bumper rather then the hood, and using a nose mask can save the car a lot of small chips and pockmarks. Just be sure to take the mask off once every week or two to clean since dirt and pebbles tend to gather near the grille and wheelwell attachment points. I would definitely buy the TL-S if I were you since you get what feels like a 45,000 car for 30 grand..........with Honda's bulletproff reliability at no extra cost.

( as long as you use the STOCK tranny fluid at changeovers........lol)

I like the TL so much that I have THREE of them. One for me...........one for her............and a 98 first-gen for my work car. To this day, I have NEVER been stranded by an Acura product........which is why I only DRIVE Acura products.
Old 04-13-2003, 12:25 AM
Dragging knees in

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
I was actually pretty impressed by the stock Bose system.

I've had my '03 TL-S since January, and I found 2 rock chips on the hood yesterday while I was washing it. Nothing bad, but it pissed me off.

I personally haven't see any hood protector like the one you mentioned. But I would recommend going with an OEM bra, or get those clear plastic coat protector things.

For 32 grand MSRP, I'm truly impressed with this car. Rides nice, handles decent for a boat , plenty of room, big ass moonroof, acceleration is awesome, etc, etc, etc... Everyone complements me on the car, and I love it.
Old 04-13-2003, 10:59 AM
Advanced

The sound system is average, fine for me. I am not much of an audiophile, but I can understand how those who are may want something better.
It can get bit noisy, on local roads, but is perfectly fine while cruising.
The sportshifter works well in my opnion.

For the price, it's hard to beat
Old 04-13-2003, 11:17 AM
Instructor

Originally posted by Pure Adrenaline

For 32 grand MSRP, I'm truly impressed with this car. Rides nice, handles decent for a boat , plenty of room, big ass moonroof, acceleration is awesome, etc, etc, etc... Everyone complements me on the car, and I love it.
you payed MSRP for the car?
Old 04-13-2003, 06:21 PM
10th Gear

Thanks for all of your inputs. I had a 2001 Toyota Tacoma with Kenwood KDC-X859, 12" Aluminum Eclipse Subwoofer, Xtant 604, Xtant 1001, Boston Pro 6.3, and Boston coaxial. I am really into sound and keeping the paint nice. But I am at the age that I don't want to spend 3 days running wires and putting in audio components. I want something that will sound decent with stock systems. I am looking for a vehicle around 30K plus or minus 2K. I am looking at the 2003 Acura TL Type-s, Infiniti g35, Infiniti I30. I really like the TL and the G35. I will have to decide in a few days. Oh FYI for those who are curious, I wrecked my Tacoma, but was able to retrieve all of my audio components.
Old 04-13-2003, 07:31 PM
Advanced

Thanks for all of your inputs. I had a 2001 Toyota Tacoma....
You'll hate the stereo! I couldn't agree with you more about spending time running wires and dealing with the stereo thing, but the stock system images from somewhere below the center console. The stock system does play loud enough for me, but it really has no soundstage or imaging. From all the reading I have done on this forum, it looks like you can keep the head-unit and install a new amp and speakers. You can use your 6.3's and coaxias in the stock locations with your 604 and it would sound great.

I wouldn't buy a car on the stereo alone, since it is very easy to fix. The G35 was nice, but the Acura is a much better value.
Old 04-14-2003, 12:25 AM
Dragging knees in

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally posted by TimN88

you payed MSRP for the car?
Hell, no.

What I meant was, for a car that costs 32 grand, it's pretty good. Get it?
Old 04-14-2003, 09:40 AM
still a Masshole

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I still love my Car 13 months after getting it. Zaino it plenty and it should help protect the Paint (rock chips are inevitable in MA for me).

I'm an average shmoe when it comes to Audio so I like my stereo. Sounds like you will probably need to upgrade it though. I think you'll be happy either with the G or the TLS. Just don't get the I35. Good car but I think the G and TLS are much better.
Old 04-14-2003, 01:38 PM
10th Gear

I will let you know if I decide to buy the TL-Type S. I consider the vehicle as a whole. I do like it that it can do 0-60 in 6.2 secs, but the stereo is also important to me. I guess I will upgrade the stereo with my old set given the opportunity.
Old 04-14-2003, 04:44 PM
10th Gear

Hmm...after reading numerous post regarding transmission problems, I am reconsidering the TL-S. The G35, I heard had some transmission problems too. My next option was the 2003 4Runner. It is a totally different class of vehicles, but do you guys have any thoughts on the 2003 Toyota 4Runner 8V version?
Old 04-14-2003, 07:53 PM
Intermediate

Is the Zaino like the diamond-quot. how many layer should I apply? Do I have to do it again after several month?
thks
Old 04-14-2003, 07:58 PM
Instructor

Re: Thoughts on 2003 TL Type-S?

I have the door speakers replaced with Polk speakers. The paint job is as good as my Nissan, Toyota so far. I love the power of Type-S and 5-speed A/T gets good gas mileage on the highway (if I can keep the speed down)
Old 04-14-2003, 08:12 PM
Safety Car

Originally posted by tlsint
Is the Zaino like the diamond-quot. how many layer should I apply? Do I have to do it again after several month?
thks
what the hell is this doing here?
Old 04-14-2003, 08:51 PM
10th Gear

quote:
Originally posted by tlsint
thks

what the hell is this doing here?

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Yeah what is that?
Old 04-14-2003, 09:32 PM
vtec, yo. lol

I am looking at the 2003 Acura TL Type-s, Infiniti g35, Infiniti I30.
I havent heard of any tranny problems in the G35...

also, G35 is more performance oriented while the TL has a better interior. I35 is probably seeing it's last model year (2003) and if you want one, you can find one a lot cheaper than the g35/tls. Also the I35 has power too, same engine as the G35 but it's fwd while the g35 is rwd.

G35 has LED tail lights which look really cool. It has really been a hit with car enthusiasts as well. This car is actually the Skyline in Japan so that says something...not the 'gtr' but a skyline is still a skyline.
Old 04-15-2003, 09:43 AM
still a Masshole

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
G35 and Z 6-speeds are the ones having some problems with grinding in 3rd gear. A few have been replaced by the dealer. I haven't heard of the autos having any issues. Not to mention that the 6-speed issues are not wide spread yet.
Old 04-15-2003, 10:38 PM
10th Gear

So the g35 Sedan is a safe bet?
Old 04-16-2003, 12:06 AM
Race Director

if you do get any TL at the moment, don't pay a cent over Invoice.. If you wait like 2-3 more months they will go under Invoice.. And go in by end of September and they will literally be giving the cars away

But to tell you the truth if you can wait, just wait for the 2004 TL
Old 04-16-2003, 06:01 PM
10th Gear

2004TL -- I will take your advice and probably purchase the vehicle after July. I assume they have fixed the transmission problem everyone is talking about. I am correct?
Old 04-16-2003, 08:47 PM
vtec, yo. lol

but the g35 is more stylish.....and u are safe with the g35 and tons of torquey power! it does have the same engine as a 350z of course (and a maxima )

although, i do agree the TL-S had a much bette interior but the again 260 ponies is all mated with FWD on the TL while it's RWD on the G35...if you live in the northeast or where it snows a lot and want to take the safer way out...get the TL...if anywhere else--G35! also, there's virtually no headlight theft on the G35 like there is on the TL (and maxima )
Old 04-16-2003, 09:02 PM
10th Gear

I live in Miami, FL. Hmm...headlight theft, I haven't considered that yet. Damn, this sucks. I live in a high theft city now. I am looking to move away actually. The G35 is nicer on the outside with more pick up! But by August, the TL-S should be dirt cheap. Decisions decisions.
Old 04-16-2003, 09:30 PM
vtec, yo. lol

look...just test drive both cars and decide this for yourself....you heard opinions and now you have to use the positives and negatives about each car and weigh them out. Of course this is after you test drive both carsand find out which is right for you.

Good Luck. Also, if you get the G35...get white! or black!! for the TL-S...agean blue! picking the color is going to be the next hardest thing after you get the car. Also, get back leather..looks thebest but then theres Miami sun...but tints would solve that.
Old 04-16-2003, 09:37 PM
Safety Car

I live in Miami, FL. Hmm...headlight theft, I haven't considered that yet. Damn, this sucks. I live in a high theft city now. I am looking to move away actually. The G35 is nicer on the outside with more pick up! But by August, the TL-S should be dirt cheap. Decisions decisions.
This might be just me but i think the TL have the G35 sedan beat in looks on both interior and exterior. I dun find the G35 sedan that attractive on the road. And thats why i went with what i purchased last year. The G35 might have better performence,but i'll take the TL appearance anyday.
Old 04-16-2003, 10:06 PM
vtec, yo. lol

Originally posted by this is me

This might be just me but i think the TL have the G35 sedan beat in looks on both interior and exterior. I dun find the G35 sedan that attractive on the road. And thats why i went with what i purchased last year. The G35 might have better performence,but i'll take the TL appearance anyday.
again thisis opinion and i prefer the g35 looks...it's defenitely got more style than the tl and LED tail lights are "in" now. Also, this car has 50/50 weight distribution (HANDLING!)

fine let me just say it...i would get the G35...try going to a g35 forum and asking this question because honestly...everyone is going to be bias in their answers..

http://g35driver.com/forums/

http://g35driver.com/forums/showflat...sed&sb=5&part= <--you may want to click this for a very unbias comment
Old 04-16-2003, 10:14 PM
10th Gear

I have went to a G35 forum. Everyone seems to very happy with their vehicle except for the paint chips they get with rocks on the highway. They suggested the clear bra. Either vehicle I get, I will put the clear bra on it.
Old 04-16-2003, 10:15 PM
10th Gear

I went to this one: http://forums.freshalloy.com/ubbthre...t=&Board=UBB25
Old 04-16-2003, 10:22 PM
vtec, yo. lol

oh this is a true problem (paint chips)...it's pretty much on all new Nissan cars (there is actually a lawsuit forming on maxima.org about this but that's another story) but a clear bra would help a lot. I think it's also on the TL...but I haven't read toomuch about it so I will let these guys answer that...