Those of you with springs and lowered.......

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2001 | 01:49 AM
Three Wheelin'

Those of you with springs and lowered.......

Bodies, how much more rough is the ride with the springs? I just got the body kit and it looks good, but I think it'll look better lowered. The thing is I still want a little luxury ride.......
Old 07-21-2001 | 02:27 AM
Pro

The ride is about the same...on smooth and "normal" roads, you can't feel the difference, but on bumpy roads and pot holes, you can feel it a bit more...not that much...the only thing to worry about is your body kit combined with the lowered springs. I don't have a body kit but i always seem to scratch my front bumper and front mudguards.
Old 07-21-2001 | 04:38 AM
Burning Brakes

silk on smooth roads. too bad don't have many around here. everything gets magnified and im not sure i would call it a luxury ride afterwards.
Old 07-21-2001 | 07:31 PM
Bada Bing

It's not that far from stock, although the springs haven't settled completely yet. I find that you "feel" the road more, which I like but going over bumps you aren't tossed around like in a sports car.
Old 07-22-2001 | 03:16 AM

I feel like the Comptech springs border on being "harsh" on bad roads (maybe this is because I haven't visited the dealer to have the stupid moonroof squeak fixed yet!). I have zero complaints when on the freeway or on a twisties, but I do a fair amount of city driving and feel like I'm being jarred a bit too much for my taste. Also, the HID headlights seem to bob up and down too much on a bumpy patch of road (unlike the self-leveling lamps found in high-end bimmers).

In a perfect world, I would like the springs to be exactly as they are on the freeway and about 25% softer for bumpy in-town driving.

So much for a perfect world!

PS: I would be very interested in test driving a TL-S with the H&R springs (stage 1) to compare them against the Comptech springs. The specs are a bit different for appearance though... Comptech springs drop the front 1.75" and rear 1.5", while the H&R springs drop the front 1.0" and the rear 1.5".

PPS: Anyone in Portland, OR (or Vancouver, WA) have the H&R springs up for a test drive?

PPPS: As for the appearance of the TL-S after the spring installation… It looks absolutely fantastic!

David
Old 07-22-2001 | 03:31 AM
bh
Advanced

H&R's only drop 1" and 1.5"? is this the sport springs?
Old 07-22-2001 | 03:43 AM
Racer

Question H&R Springs

To answer your question those are not the sport springs...

The H&R sport springs drop your ride 1.75 in the front and 1.75 inches in the rear...

The O.E. springs from H&R do a 1 inch drop....This is the one I think members are talking about.

BTW-H&R also makes a racing spring that will drop your ride over 2 inches
Old 07-22-2001 | 09:31 AM
WayTooManyAcuras

I've had both the springs and the kit on my TL-S now for about 3 months, and so far 1) the ride has been fine (I like to "feel" the road, not "glide" over it), 2) and I have yet to scrape anything with the front.

What I have scraped is the front corners, when I've turned into an "end" parking spot that had a high curb. When I cut it too close, the front rim of the lowerer corner scraped the side curb.

I probably would have scraped it anyway, even without the kit!

Besides, it looks REAL GOOD with the kit and the springs.

First car I've had in a long time where people come up and say "nice car, what is it?"

BTW - Snook sells the front kit piece (here on this site) for a little over $200, so if you trash it, it's not that big a deal.

:-jon
Old 07-22-2001 | 09:36 AM
Advanced

Originally posted by oblio98
What I have scraped is the front corners, when I've turned into an "end" parking spot that had a high curb. When I cut it too close, the front rim of the lowerer corner scraped the side curb.

I probably would have scraped it anyway, even without the kit!

Thank god.. I'm not the only one. I did this the other day and tore a small hole in my nose mask. I felt like a complete moron. I think I'm still getting a feel for where the front of the car is.

Erik
Old 07-22-2001 | 12:34 PM
Three Wheelin'

[QUOTE
PS: I would be very interested in test driving a TL-S with the H&R springs (stage 1) to compare them against the Comptech springs. The specs are a bit different for appearance though... Comptech springs drop the front 1.75" and rear 1.5", while the H&R springs drop the front 1.0" and the rear 1.5".

PPS: Anyone in Portland, OR (or Vancouver, WA) have the H&R springs up for a test drive?

PPPS: As for the appearance of the TL-S after the spring installation… It looks absolutely fantastic!

David [/B][/QUOTE]

Which drop are you looking at test driving? I have the H&R sport springs (1.75 front, 1.5 rear), if you wanted to check them out I'm sure it can be arranged.
Old 07-22-2001 | 06:35 PM
WayTooManyAcuras

Originally posted by Jacobian

Thank god.. I'm not the only one. I did this the other day and tore a small hole in my nose mask. I felt like a complete moron. I think I'm still getting a feel for where the front of the car is.

Erik

Part of my problem is that the turning circle of the TL-S is larger than my previous 99TL, and I still expect it to turn like my old car.

The turning circle is the one thing that I am dissapointed in with the car.

Old 07-22-2001 | 06:46 PM
Instructor

I am not sure about the Tl Type-S, but my Legend has Koni and Eibach. The Koni is on the softest setting on normal spring height adjusted. The ride was extremely aweful even with stock tires. We even ended up getting the most comfortable performance tires we can find on tirerack.com just to neutrilize the ride.

The handling is very good. If you live in area with good roads, that's okay, but if you live in Canada, you don't want springs that is too hard.

The drawback of getting high perf springs is that after a year or so, the car will seems to fall apart. Our Legend is losing its "tightness" because we had high performance springs and shocks and we drive on extremely harsh road everyday. This might not happen to you, but you might want to consider the road conditions in your area.
Old 07-23-2001 | 09:09 AM

For those of you with suspension upgrades (ie, shocks, springs, sways) can you rate the different brands from softest to harshest? I'm tryin to find out which offers the most "luxurious ride" quality versus sportiest. I know there's give and take between them so any input from experience would benefit us all.
Old 07-23-2001 | 12:29 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by SgtJimmy
For those of you with suspension upgrades (ie, shocks, springs, sways) can you rate the different brands from softest to harshest? I'm tryin to find out which offers the most "luxurious ride" quality versus sportiest. I know there's give and take between them so any input from experience would benefit us all.
Popular opion seems to be that H&R is the best all around riding spring
Old 07-23-2001 | 02:23 PM
Racer

Originally posted by AcuraTLFan
The ride is about the same...on smooth and "normal" roads, you can't feel the difference, but on bumpy roads and pot holes, you can feel it a bit more...not that much...the only thing to worry about is your body kit combined with the lowered springs. I don't have a body kit but i always seem to scratch my front bumper and front mudguards.
what kinda springs do you have?
Old 07-23-2001 | 06:41 PM
Banned

Originally posted by oblio98
The turning circle is the one thing that I am dissapointed in with the car.
Amen to that! I thought it was just me who feels like I'm driving a UPS truck when it comes to making a U-turn in the middle of the road. My '97 Maxima SE has a *much* better turning radius (and the wheelbase isn't that much different).