Is there a way to wire your corner blinkers...

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2002, 08:22 PM
Ex-Acura Die Hard Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is there a way to wire your corner blinkers...

Can you change your blinkers to be bright while off and go dim when it blinks when the head lights are on. Tell me if its a stupid idea. I have not put in the blue corners yet b/c I remember on my previous cars with them they did not match the blue color the same as the headlights unless they were bright like I i where to turn my hazards on and watch. Seem a little yellowey sided next to headlights. Stupid or not?

Dave
Old 03-10-2002, 09:13 PM
Drifting

Not stupid at all... and it can be done, too, except that the bright blinkers may be a little too bright to act as sidemarkers.
Old 03-10-2002, 09:31 PM

Anyone have Easy Instructions on this project?

Dave
Old 03-10-2002, 10:08 PM
BDI
Banned

Originally posted by acuraracer
Anyone have Easy Instructions on this project?

Dave
I think I remember someone sayin' so just put tape over one of the "prongs??" on the bottom of the bulb.
Old 03-11-2002, 08:54 AM
'Big Daddy Diggler'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by BDI

I think I remember someone sayin' so just put tape over one of the "prongs??" on the bottom of the bulb.
Putting tape will over one of tyhe "prongs" will eliminate the lower light and just let the bright one come on when the blinker comes on. You just have to use trial and error to see which one is the right prong.
Old 03-11-2002, 11:37 AM
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i guess you can cut the signal and parking light wires, and reconnect accordingly. but the signals will not be seen if you did this mod...can be a potential hazard. or tap the original wires with a new socket that fits the housing.
Old 03-11-2002, 06:44 PM

Originally posted by bigman

Putting tape will over one of tyhe "prongs" will eliminate the lower light and just let the bright one come on when the blinker comes on. You just have to use trial and error to see which one is the right prong.
I would guess the same, that it only prevents 1 of them from coming on. I was shooting for the its always on bright when the lights are on and dim when flashing. I guess just re wiring it that way would work, but wouldnt that cause them not to come on at all in the case that the headlights are off? Or would I have to always ride with at least my parking lights on or something?

Dave
Old 03-11-2002, 07:24 PM
Drifting

Nope, this trick requires some "active" logic, like using FET switching transistors, etc.

Boy, I gotta go out and buy a Helms manual for the wiring diagrams and just make the mod. I can make a fortune selling mods like these
Old 03-11-2002, 07:27 PM

Originally posted by daverman
Nope, this trick requires some "active" logic, like using FET switching transistors, etc.

Boy, I gotta go out and buy a Helms manual for the wiring diagrams and just make the mod. I can make a fortune selling mods like these
Boy! Get on the ball Dave buddy! But really is it really worth it. Is the blue @ dim really blue enough, and am i just being pickey?

Dave
Old 05-12-2002, 12:29 AM
Banned

i tried the tape mod, but the parking lights dont even come on when u turn on ur headlights! i tried tape over one prong... liught didnt come on, and then i tried taping the other prong. still no go. i too want to have the corner bulb at full power at all times. is there a way to do these without cutting any wires... im kinda scared to go ahead and start cutting wires, esp bc my car is leased.
Old 05-12-2002, 01:24 AM
Three Wheelin'

theres no way to do this mod without cutting the wires but if u wanna do it u will need a few relays and some wires. i havent looked into doin it.....but i know its easy. The only thing is when the bulb is on its gonna always be bright and when u signal to turn..... it will blink bright n off n bright n off as opposed to the orignal set up.
Old 05-12-2002, 09:03 PM
Racer

well, up here in canada, there requires the daytime running lights, so i am thinking of making the blinkers to act as the DRLs by connecting them so that they turn on all the time, and blink where signalling
any idea of how to do this??
Old 05-13-2002, 01:04 AM
Three Wheelin'

ok thats easy just wire the bulb so that both wires are live and break the 12+ volts with a relay use ur signal lead to pulse the relay and that will make the bulb blink on n off. If u have troubles with this mod or confused about it ,,,,,take it to your local radio n alarm shop and they can do the mod ,,,,,it shouldnt cost too much .....id say about 60 bucks.
Old 05-13-2002, 01:36 AM
Pro

"daverman" is right...the easiest way is to use a FET or a logic gate. These semiconductors should be less then $5 bucks each. For a logic gate you would want a NAND gate... which has two input and one output. When 2 input are at logic 1 (12 volts or ON), it will invert the signal to logic 0 (0 volts or OFF). Splice each wire, the parking light and the signal wire to the logic gate...connect the output to the side-marker, and connect the other wire of the side-marker to the ground wire. You might need additional transistors to bias the sidemarker. 12 volt side marker will run at around .35-.40 amps. So check the specs before buying the gates.

Or you can use a PNP Transistor which acts as a switch. When the input signal is high it will turn the switch off...which results in the side-marker turning off...when the input is low...it will turn on the switch.

$60 is really high for such a simple mod.
Old 05-13-2002, 02:02 AM
Three Wheelin'

60 bucks isnt alot of ur gonna have someone do it parts n labor ,,,,but if ur gonna do it yourself its still gonna cost u at least 20 bucks for the relays n other stuff ,,,,,,,,,but remember this at least if they do it and u have a problem u can go back to them and let them fix it ,,,,,,instead of u goin thru the aggravation.