Test drive - CT sways only vs CT springs only

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2003, 07:28 AM
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Test drive - CT sways only vs CT springs only

Thanks to TLS_Rulz I had the opportunity to test drive a car with CT sways only vs CT springs only.

Guess what?

The sways are a bigger handling improvement without a doubt.

We first took his car out (stock tires, CT sways only, stock springs) and I could immediately feel the ridgidity of the body moving as a unit. The best way to describe the feeling is one of a solid box whereas the stock body feels like a flimsy box that will flex a lot (picture a rectangular box becoming a rhombus).

If you don't have sways you can try this experiment to put what I am saying into perspective. Next time you are taking an off ramp or on-ramp, build up speed and then steer left and right. So long as you are holding the curve in an uniform way, the body remains in a constant lean towards the outside wheels. when you steer back and forth, however, you feel the body flexing in and out of the lean which in the end results in a feeling of a loss of control.

Enter the sway bars. That feeling is all but gone.

Furthermore, we took one curve a bit to aggressive and his POS stock MXM4's shook loose....BUT...all four shook loose together and the car drifted sideways. This would never happen with stock sways as the front end would definately nose dive.

Next came my car with SP9000's and CT springs. Although it was probably able to hold curves better, this was 100% due to the tires I had. When he was taking a curve with speed a car came in the other direction and he had to swerve a bit which resulted in that white knuckle feeling of loss of control. The stock sways do not inspire the same confidence.

YES it is that much of a difference.

Some comments on ride quality.

CT springs only - small loss of ride comfort over bumps not noticeable on smooth, less nose dive on braking/accelerating, slightly more resonance over aggressive dips on the highway (would probably be fixed with properly damped shocks)

CT sways only - even in the parking lot at 5 km/h you can immediately feel the stiffness of the car. It's not an uncomfortable feeling however. I'd have to do more of a long term test with the sways to see where discomfort really occurs because I didn't feel it.
Old 07-02-2003, 10:52 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When you test drive next time, please let me know. I want to see what CT sways can do too
Old 07-02-2003, 12:07 PM
Intermediate

haha~ me toO~ planning to get some soon~
Old 07-02-2003, 12:47 PM
Drifting

Do I hear group buy?

With three buyers I'm sure we could get em for $470 Cdn taxes in!

I'm about to buy a set from Woodbine Acura. Lemme know.
Old 07-02-2003, 01:22 PM
Intermediate

Just this morning on my way to work I asked myself, as I took the off ramp, if CT sways would help control the leaning. Then I read your post! That's what I call an answer!

I know what mod I'm going to do first with my new TL-S.

Thanks for a timely post!
Old 07-02-2003, 01:58 PM
Three Wheelin'

470$Cdn installed?
Old 07-02-2003, 02:19 PM
Drifting

No, but from what I hear install is not too tough, especially if you've done lights!
Old 07-02-2003, 04:05 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts
CT sways all the way ...

Hey,

I know TLS_RULZ knows the guys at Woodbine pretty well (he introduced me to Paul). I was smart enough to get CT springs & sways installed together (but not smart enough to get new shocks ... you could say I was too cheap!)

A definite improvement over stock ride. I'm just waiting for a lot of wear on the tires before I change 'em. The Sumitomos look like such a bargain to pass up. (A drive over to Detroit is all I need to do ...) I wish the OEM Michelin's wear faster ... that way I can write a comparo on the difference in handling!

- derrick

PS Tatewaki ... why haven't you installed aftermarket sways yet??? Or have you?
Old 07-02-2003, 04:38 PM
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
thanks for the post.. very informative... me likey
Old 07-02-2003, 08:38 PM
2005 SSM/EB/5AT/Navi

I can't wait...Mine are on the way! I ordered mine from my Dealer and i'll probably have them install them too. I guess there is a issue w/ squeaking noise or rubbing noise if they are not installed properly w/ the teflon tape...so i figured more $$ = less headache later!
I chose Sways over Springs b/c of the better performance you get w/ the Sways.

Mine were $310 + install
Old 07-05-2003, 04:04 PM
Racer

No prob... hemants.. GREAT writeup !!

FugittiveTLS`03, for sways I'd say install yourself... you'd save $100. Springs are a little more involved since you need a spring compressor.

BTW... I'm getting the springs installed on Wednesday !!! Got to cleanup on the looks now that the handling is in

Derrick, I woudn't say you are cheap... Why waste $$ that can be used for other mods when the stock spings still have life in em ? Don't forget Koni shocks are like $1000 ..

tatewaki, installed would be around $600

Is it wednesday yet ?
TLS RULZ
Old 07-05-2003, 06:06 PM
Retired MOD

Well remember:

Sways do not help braking, they do not improved looks. Springs improved looks and handling.

The best is both. When you put the 2 together is a good thing from looks to control to handling.