taking it in for 60,000 mile service @ stealer!

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2005, 05:14 PM
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
taking it in for 60,000 mile service @ stealer!

I just called Acura to bring my car in because the maintainence light came on, and they told me what the 60,000 mile service consists of they stated:

1) change oil & filter
2) change coolant
3) rotate tires
4) change brake fluid
5) change transmission fluid

for $379

Does any1 think this is deemed necessary? I don't really think its some major flushing or anything, what would something like this typically cost to do on your own?

I'm thinking I should just do the oil change and FTR (fuck the rest)
Old 07-20-2005, 05:17 PM
Sig Rho's Finest

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yeaaaaaaa i didnt do mine. its not necessary at all. maybe just change the tranny fluid but even that you can do yourself. (i have tried and failed )
Old 07-20-2005, 05:18 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
waste of money and thats not what the maint required light means
Old 07-20-2005, 06:31 PM
I need 2 more gears

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
go to sears, midas or one of those type places and all those services using Mobil1 full syn and a good oil filter will only cost you between 200-250, stealership is right! maintenance required light is just a dummy light it doesn't mean you really need any maintenance.
Old 07-20-2005, 06:55 PM
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
(To no one in particular)

Everyone seems to enjoy ragging on dealers. However, why are people surprised when;

1. The dealer performs all the maintenance items associated with xx,xxx mile service.
2. The dealer charges an arm, and sometimes a leg, for it.

It's not news that dealers cost more than independant garages and Acura/Honda parts (usually) cost more.

While you can argue whether the services are needed, you know what they're going to do and they tell you the cost up front. Even when it's not a standard mileage service, their hourly rates are posted in the service area.

Stealing is defined as 'the taking the property of another without right or permission.' You know what you're getting into when you walk in the Service Department or call to schedule service and when you sign the work order, you are giving them permission.
Old 07-20-2005, 07:30 PM
Ganji, Want some?

MikePA

.................................................. ..............................

................................... YOU MUST WORK AT OR FOR A DEALERSHIP, HUH? .................................................. .................................................. ..............................

You know we dont mean taking anyone's possesions, but you know that is an expression used when we feel we are getting ripped off. basically knowing that acura would do the best job (knowing exactly what they are doing, and exactly what to use for our car) because they know what products would be good for the life of our cars, we just feel like the acura dealerships charge too much for stupid things that aren't tottaly nessacary.
Old 07-20-2005, 07:57 PM
:brakejob:

Dude, thats all easy to do yourself...

I would not FTR everything else, they're good services to do... but you can do them yourself very easily...

Oil Change/Filter --> Simple
Coolant --> read your manual its all there
Rotate Tires --> SIMPLE, just get a jack, some stands, and a beer
Brake Fluid --> this takes some knowledge and either a friend or some equipment, but is easy to do and there are DIYs all over the web for this
Tranny Fluid --> VERY EASY and well covered here on AZ, just search for tranny drain
Old 07-20-2005, 08:56 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by brakejobhelp
Dude, thats all easy to do yourself...

I would not FTR everything else, they're good services to do... but you can do them yourself very easily...

Oil Change/Filter --> Simple
Coolant --> read your manual its all there
Rotate Tires --> SIMPLE, just get a jack, some stands, and a beer
Brake Fluid --> this takes some knowledge and either a friend or some equipment, but is easy to do and there are DIYs all over the web for this
Tranny Fluid --> VERY EASY and well covered here on AZ, just search for tranny drain
Not to mention, if we put some numbers on these items, we have (based on previous experience, and being generous in some cases):

Oil/Filter ----------------------------- $32
Tire Rotation ------------------------ $25
Brake Fluid -------------------------- $50
Tranny ------------------------------- $60

So, at $379, this would mean that the coolant change is 379 - 167 = $212, which would be ludicrous. I think my dealer quoted me $60 or $70 for that.

I'm sure their 60k service includes a bunch of "inspections" and other stuff that you don't need (or they do anyway as part of an oil change). Not to mention, the 60k service should include an air filter and the A/C filters. They're probably included in the price (I would hope).

My suggestion (if you don't want to do the whole job yourself) is to have the dealer only do specific items that you ask for. I'd bet that if you have them do the 5 items individually, you'll save a bundle. The filters you can buy yourself and save the installation $. I've seen dealers charge as much as $20 to install an air filter which should take you no more than 10 mins to install. The A/C filters are a bit tougher, but still manageable, and besides saving $, you'd avoid getting greasy finger prints on your dashboard if your tech isn't careful.
Old 07-21-2005, 04:03 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by VITEK
MikePA
.................................................. ..............................
................................... YOU MUST WORK AT OR FOR A DEALERSHIP, HUH? .................................................. .................................................. ..............................
No, I do not work for a dealership. Easy method for discounting what I said.

caha14's prices are not realistic for getting the work done at a dealership when their hourly rate is $90 - $100.

BTW, I agree that people should not ask for the xx,xxx mile service. They should read their Owner's Manual, figure out which of the separate items in that service they want/need done and ask just for them.
Old 07-21-2005, 04:08 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by caha14
I've seen dealers charge as much as $20 to install an air filter which should take you no more than 10 mins to install.
10 minutes at $92/hour = $15.33 plus tax. Some dealer hourly rates are higher in larger metro areas.
Old 07-21-2005, 07:23 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by MikePA
caha14's prices are not realistic for getting the work done at a dealership when their hourly rate is $90 - $100.
My Acura dealer charges $82 per hour, and these prices are from 2 months ago (give or take a few dollars - if memory serves me right) when I last brought my car in. I'm in the Boston area.

Out of curiosity, what prices would you expect for the items in the original post? See, my Lexus dealer charges $95 per hour (about 16% higher), yet service is way more than 16% pricier. The time estimated for each job may vary from dealer to dealer, within and across brands.
Old 07-21-2005, 08:08 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by caha14
Out of curiosity, what prices would you expect for the items in the original post? See, my Lexus dealer charges $95 per hour (about 16% higher), yet service is way more than 16% pricier. The time estimated for each job may vary from dealer to dealer, within and across brands.
I said they were not realistic because I translated them into minutes using $92/hour.

Oil/Filter ----------------------------- $32------------- 21 minutes
Tire Rotation ------------------------ $25------------ 16 minutes
Brake Fluid -------------------------- $50 ------------ 33 minutes
Tranny ------------------------------- $60 ------------- 39 minutes

While the Tire Rotation is all labor, all the others also involve labor as well as materials. So, for example, there's probably $7 in materials with the Oil and Oil Filter change, which leaves $25, or 16 minutes, for labor.
Old 07-21-2005, 09:18 AM
Senior Moderator

you guys are getting off teh point. you dont need teh 60k service nor the price. if your doing regular maint the 60k isnt necessary (meaning if your rotating tires as needed, changing oil as needed and y we waste our time changing tranny fluid, but changing tranny fluid when called for) you dont need to have every thing done in 1 lump sum at teh dealer. just do the thing thats called for at that point. dont get wraped up in paying a outlandish price for stuff you dont need (and at those miles nothing is realy needed)
Old 07-21-2005, 09:28 AM
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by actright
I just called Acura to bring my car in because the maintainence light came on, and they told me what the 60,000 mile service consists of they stated:

1) change oil & filter
2) change coolant
3) rotate tires
4) change brake fluid
5) change transmission fluid

for $379

Does any1 think this is deemed necessary? I don't really think its some major flushing or anything, what would something like this typically cost to do on your own?

I'm thinking I should just do the oil change and FTR (fuck the rest)
Do this.

Change the oil, transmission fluid, and the coolant yourself. All three are easy to do at once if you have the front of your car up. If you must get the brake fluid changed and the tires rotated take it to sears or something. They'll do it for a nominal charge. But I think you can just wait on the brake fluid change until you actually get the brakes done.
Old 07-21-2005, 09:36 AM
Yes it is!

I never see the point of changing brake fluid. It's a closed system! My service guy came over to me and told me mine was contaminated (he said it was a strange color - no water in it, which would indeed be a problem) - I was like "How the fuck did that happen?" Guess I will drive with "contaminated" brake fluid and save myself the $200.

Anyway, I know the dealer rips me on some stuff, but I like going to the dealer, since I get to wander around the lot and test drive all the new models, check out the used models, etc. Plus last time I was there they installed the oil jet for free.
Old 07-21-2005, 10:02 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Deity711
I never see the point of changing brake fluid. It's a closed system! My service guy came over to me and told me mine was contaminated (he said it was a strange color - no water in it, which would indeed be a problem) - I was like "How the fuck did that happen?" Guess I will drive with "contaminated" brake fluid and save myself the $200.
Brake fluid does go bad due to heat and moisture, but doesnt need to be changed that frequently
Old 07-21-2005, 10:44 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by fsttyms1
Brake fluid does go bad due to heat and moisture, but doesnt need to be changed that frequently
3 years, regardless of mileage, is what the manual calls for.
Old 07-21-2005, 12:22 PM
Instructor

someone please tell me why the dealership told the original poster to have their tranny fluid changed when the manual clearly states 105,000 miles....
Old 07-21-2005, 12:52 PM
Safety Car

Received 81 Likes on 50 Posts
did u guess know that in cabin air filters are only 17 bucks at autozone or the other auto store chain. Also i just got my 60k service done and I told them to only do the Fuel system induction and oil change. I am gonna wait till later to get my coolant changed. So my 60k service cost me

$143 at the dealer for fuel system thing and oil change.
$94 at autozone for new wipers, K&N filter, interior filters, and some wax.
Old 07-21-2005, 01:20 PM
TL-S driver

no need to do the 60k service. like everyone says, get the parts yourself and do it yourself, it's not that hard. As for the maint light, turn the car off, press the trip and reset buttons, start car while holding buttons, hold for about 20 sec and the lights will turn off.
Old 07-21-2005, 01:51 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by goldendragon576
no need to do the 60k service. like everyone says, get the parts yourself and do it yourself, it's not that hard. As for the maint light, turn the car off, press the trip and reset buttons, start car while holding buttons, hold for about 20 sec and the lights will turn off.
dont have to start the car, just turn it to the run position and it only takes 10 seconds
Old 08-04-2005, 12:20 PM
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by VITEK
MikePA

You know we dont mean taking anyone's possesions, but you know that is an expression used when we feel we are getting ripped off. basically knowing that acura would do the best job (knowing exactly what they are doing, and exactly what to use for our car) because they know what products would be good for the life of our cars, we just feel like the acura dealerships charge too much for stupid things that aren't tottaly nessacary.
...Best Job...oh please. Paying for what they quoted, and they did not do the right job. What do you call that? Fraud, Ripped Off, Stealership, or Foockedup? I would have them do it if they could learn how to do it right. But, I figured the best job is when you know how to do it yourself. Don't be surprised with all the related problems out of the blue when having your car serviced by dealership as recommended that I once trusted them. You might find it strange why more problems are happening to your car with all the services are being done; this applies to not only the dealerships but other unknown independent shops.
Old 08-04-2005, 12:33 PM
/etc/car

Regarding the cabin air filters mentioned here...I think it's the Puralotor brand (whichever is in the blue box) from Advanced Auto are identical to the stock filters. Right down to the model numbers printed on them.