synthetic --> regular 1 oil change...problem?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2006, 04:32 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
synthetic --> regular 1 oil change...problem?

Hi, I went to the acura dealer today for an oil change, took my oil and filter, and told them to change it, and to top off other fluid.
came out, they said they topped off fluid, but i noticed they didnt use my oil or filter, so i bitched, and the service guy said he wouldn't charge for the oil change, and refunded my money.

Well 2 things. they didn't top off any of my fluids. I specifically asked them to check the tranny fluid, and it still is right below or at the min level recommended. the antifreeze was still very low. so im gonna go back to them for that.

but the main question is should i go change my oil back to synthetic now, or just wait till the next oil change? What happens if you go from synthetic back to regular oil (i used synthetic only 3 times so far, before that it was regular oil.) if it matters, i have about 89,400 miles or so.

thanks
Old 05-01-2006, 07:06 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 701 Likes on 543 Posts
nowadays all synthetic oils are fully comptatible with conventional oils. You can even mix them together if you wish (by doing that you will obviously lose the benefits of the syntehtic oil, but it should not be harmful to your engine).
If I were you, I would change it after 3K miles and go back to synthetic so you can get longer drain intervals.
Old 05-01-2006, 08:13 PM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by penny77115
Hi, I went to the acura dealer today for an oil change, took my oil and filter, and told them to change it, and to top off other fluid.
came out, they said they topped off fluid, but i noticed they didnt use my oil or filter, so i bitched, and the service guy said he wouldn't charge for the oil change, and refunded my money.

Well 2 things. they didn't top off any of my fluids. I specifically asked them to check the tranny fluid, and it still is right below or at the min level recommended. the antifreeze was still very low. so im gonna go back to them for that.

but the main question is should i go change my oil back to synthetic now, or just wait till the next oil change? What happens if you go from synthetic back to regular oil (i used synthetic only 3 times so far, before that it was regular oil.) if it matters, i have about 89,400 miles or so.

thanks
Change back to syn anytime you want....as stated...no big deal there. As for the trans fluid....was the car cold when you checked it? Trans fluid typically expands when it heats up...so if it is "right at the low mark or lower level of the checked area" it is just fine when its cold due to the expansion factor of the hydraulic fluid. Better slightly under than over in this case! BUT....they really prob should have just put a splash in there to make you happy...? Often more times than not though...they end up overfilling it when they do this.