Sway and strut tie bar questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2002, 08:58 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sway and strut tie bar questions

do they make a noticable difference?
and if i install, should i do all of it? or just front? or rear?
Old 04-24-2002, 09:02 PM
Burning Brakes

oops...i meant upper and lower
Old 04-24-2002, 09:07 PM
Racer

With the Comptech sways, it's like night and day. Very noticeable change in body lean. Don't have the strut bar so I can't comment on that. Ride with the sways is slightly more firm when going over uneven pavement.
Old 04-24-2002, 09:10 PM
Having Fun?

Here's a long thread discussing the upper strut tie bar: http://www.acura-tl.com/forum/showth...+strut+tie+bar

Sways are a must IMO! Makes night and day difference (for the better).

Upper strut tie bar with stock sways/springs won't make a noticeable difference. Combined with better sways (comptech) it makes steering a little more tighter.
Old 04-25-2002, 02:25 PM
Racer

What about our stock stability bar?
Are they sways or struts?
Old 04-25-2002, 02:35 PM
Three Wheelin'

We have stock sways, however, the Comptechs are thicker (stiffer) which makes a big difference in getting rid of body roll.
Old 04-25-2002, 03:48 PM
Purchased: April 28, 2001

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by bricot
We have stock sways, however, the Comptechs are thicker (stiffer) which makes a big difference in getting rid of body roll.
WARNING...Don't forget that it only applies to the rear bar.
If you were selling these don't forget to mention that or it may be considered fraud.
Old 04-25-2002, 04:26 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by edgalang

If you were selling these don't forget to mention that or it may be considered fraud.
huh? only rear? then y is there a front one for the neuspeed?
http://www.acura-tl.com/search/resul...eid=suspension
Old 04-25-2002, 04:49 PM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

So are you too saying the wall thickness is the same between the front stock bar and comptech's or only the outer diameter of each is the same?
Old 04-25-2002, 05:12 PM
Three Wheelin'

I don't know about the front, I believe the OD between Comptech and OEM is the same, the rear is larger.
Old 04-25-2002, 05:35 PM

Originally posted by WiLz

huh? only rear? then y is there a front one for the neuspeed?
http://www.acura-tl.com/search/resul...eid=suspension
They offer the front one because it is solid...not tubular. Although the "overall" diameter is the same...the innards are definitely NOT.
Old 04-25-2002, 05:44 PM

Originally posted by Brewboy

So are you too saying the wall thickness is the same between the front stock bar and comptech's or only the outer diameter of each is the same?
The outer diameter for the front bar doesnt change for ANY brand of sways Tim offers.

As for the sidewall thickness of Comptech's...No comment (although I've already made my personal judgement on the matter). But...I can relate to those who have them and would similarly be upset if I found out that one-half of my $300 set of sways are the same as stocks (especially if I'm a TLS owner). No one has verified the thickness...nor would anyone want to for obvious reasons.

Remember...these bars were originally made for the accord...so it wouldn't suprise me one bit if the stock accord front sway bar were smaller than ours (then it would make sence if all comptech did was increase the overall diameter but keep the bar hollow to save cost).

So...a TLP owner who bought the comptech set WILL notice the difference in the ride alot more than a TLS owner of the same setup because the TLS rear bar was thicker to begin with.

If you were butt poor and just wanted to do something over the weekend, ask a fellow TLS owner to give you his bar and bushings (That's what I would do if my brother in-law ever buys his V6 accord).
Old 04-25-2002, 06:18 PM

Stats on OEM sway bars.

OK...so everyone seems to be all hyped in getting new sways Comptech, Neuspeed, Eibach...whatever. What if you cant afford it? Ask someone for their stock bar next time you attend a MEET!

Like Comptech and the OEM manufacturer have prooven...changing the rear bar sometimes is all you need to dramatically change the suspension dynamics. Here's a breakdown of the differences in each model.

Accord Sedan (4-cylinder)
Stabilizer Bar (mm,front/rear) 26.5/16.0

Accord V-6 Sedan
Stabilizer Bar (mm,front/rear) 27.2/16.0

Accord Coupe (4-cylinder)
Stabilizer Bar (mm,front/rear) 26.5/17.0

Accord V-6 Coupe
Stabilizer Bar (mm,front/rear) 27.2/17.0

3.2 TL-P
Stabilizer Bar (mm,front/rear) 27.2/18.0

3.2 TL-S
Stabilizer Bar (mm,front/rear) 27.2/19.0

Comptech
Stabilizer Bar (mm,front/rear) 27.2/22.0

So imagine...a lowly guy with an Accord LX who knows a friend with a TLS can get a beefed up suspention upgrade for FREE!
Old 04-25-2002, 09:51 PM
DHB
Instructor

Is it the Comptech or Neuspeed sways that are solid?
Old 04-26-2002, 01:07 AM

Originally posted by DHB
Is it the Comptech or Neuspeed sways that are solid?
Rear bars...both are solid...just different sizes.
As for the front..the ONLY bar that has been verified to be solid is Neuspeed.
Old 04-26-2002, 01:40 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

WiLz,

Three words for ya:

Just get 'em!

V.
Old 04-26-2002, 10:25 AM
trying to get a lil V-I

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
edalang

Quick question for you, since it seems you did the most research.

The OEM sways, both front and rear, for a TL-S will fit an Accord correct?

Will the OEM sways (f/r) for a CL-S also fit an Accord? And if so what generation Accord?

I understand there is a diameter difference, which will help the Accord. So I was hoping to sell off my OEM CL-S sways so that I can afford the Comptechs.

Thanks in advance.

editNevermind. I answered my own question. I went to www.comptechusa.com and looked up part numbers for CL, TL, and V6 Accord. For all three vehicles listed above the part numbers were:

- Sways 140-215
- Springs 110-215

So my guess is they are interchangable...anybody else know otherwise?
Old 04-26-2002, 01:05 PM

Originally posted by chikai
So my guess is they are interchangable...anybody else know otherwise? [/B]
Yup...as long as they are a 1998+ Accord it *should be fine.
Old 04-26-2002, 01:33 PM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Re: Stats on OEM sway bars.

OK...so everyone seems to be all hyped in getting new sways Comptech, Neuspeed, Eibach...whatever. What if you cant afford it? Ask someone for their stock bar next time you attend a MEET!

Like Comptech and the OEM manufacturer have prooven...changing the rear bar sometimes is all you need to dramatically change the suspension dynamics. Here's a breakdown of the differences in each model.

Accord Sedan (4-cylinder)
Stabilizer Bar (mm,front/rear) 26.5/16.0

Accord V-6 Sedan
Stabilizer Bar (mm,front/rear) 27.2/16.0

Accord Coupe (4-cylinder)
Stabilizer Bar (mm,front/rear) 26.5/17.0

Accord V-6 Coupe
Stabilizer Bar (mm,front/rear) 27.2/17.0

3.2 TL-P
Stabilizer Bar (mm,front/rear) 27.2/18.0

3.2 TL-S
Stabilizer Bar (mm,front/rear) 27.2/19.0

Comptech
Stabilizer Bar (mm,front/rear) 27.2/22.0

So imagine...a lowly guy with an Accord LX who knows a friend with a TLS can get a beefed up suspention upgrade for FREE!
Knowing the outer diameter of a bar is fine for comparing only solid bars and assuming the same material or similar. Concerning hollow bars (fronts), you need to include the wall thickness in order to calc the cross-sectional area of the bar to be of use in the formula to determine overall stiffness. It is incorrect to only compare the outer diameters of hollow bars to determine its stiffness.
Old 04-26-2002, 02:53 PM

Re: Re: Stats on OEM sway bars.

Originally posted by Brewboy

Knowing the outer diameter of a bar is fine for comparing only solid bars and assuming the same material or similar. Concerning hollow bars (fronts), you need to include the wall thickness in order to calc the cross-sectional area of the bar to be of use in the formula to determine overall stiffness. It is incorrect to only compare the outer diameters of hollow bars to determine its stiffness.
Then by all means supply us with that information. Wouldn't you think we would include the inside diameter of the bar if we had that information to begin with? If you paid close attention to the post above you'd know that I was mainly comparing OEM bars which should all be constructed the same. I was mainly posting quick observations that the manufacturer posted in their website. I guess it is possible for a Accord LX to have a stiffer front bar than a Accord EX V-6 even though the bar might be thinner on the outside but thicker on the inside...but why the hell would HONDA do that? By all means if you can supply us the inside diameter/crosssections of all the bars by cutting yours then go right on ahead. Similar to the Comptech front bar, we can only assume that the bar is the same (maybe slightly different at best) as the OEM bar from all of the people who cmmented and installed them.

P.S.
I agree with you in that it would be hard to measure bar stiffness in relative to each other if different manufacturers produced different bars for the stock Accords and TLs since you wouldn't have a baseline...but you are forgetting the fact that this is not the case and that HONDA makes all the bars for these cars.

What it basically comes down to is that HONDA makes 2 different front bars and 4 different rear bars that will either fit an Accord or TL and that someone who has the thinnest/softest of the 2 bars (an Accord LX sedan most likely) would greatly appreaciate our stock ones that we dont use anymore.
Old 04-27-2002, 07:43 AM
what?

Originally posted by copland007

Sways are a must IMO! Makes night and day difference (for the better).

Upper strut tie bar with stock sways/springs won't make a noticeable difference. Combined with better sways (comptech) it makes steering a little more tighter.
I couldn't agree more - this is a relatively inexpensive upgrade and though the bumps are a bit harder, the feel on the curves is so much better!