Sway Bars

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2002, 09:49 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sway Bars

These might sound like silly questions, but I'm a bit new to car mod'ing...

Do sway bars significantly decrease roll when cornering? If so, does it also make the ride less cushy esp when going over bumps? Lastly, which do you recommend and are they easy to install?

Thanks.

Jung
Old 08-29-2002, 10:47 PM
Three Wheelin'

yes they dramatically reduce body roll, it's the bomb, actually even more important than springs / shocks

if you get really thick sways yes the ride would be compromised a bit. but trust me, even with a thick sway the penalty in ride quality is minimal compared to springs and shocks

i have comptech and like them a lot. you can get neuspeed which are thicker, but to me comptech is just fine.

dunno if it's very easy to install, i got them installed for 80 bucks so....
Old 08-29-2002, 11:22 PM
Safety Car

Anybody know if it's easy to switch them? I want to get them, but I'm just not sure if I can do it myself.
Old 08-30-2002, 12:09 AM
Instructor

Got CT Sways here too with springs on the way. Gotta say that the sways significantly improved the feel of the car on turns. I drove around for about 2 months on stocks, and didn't think I would notice, but it really does help. I'm hoping the springs will also juice up the handling. Based on past posts I read on the topic, sways and springs really complement each other, but if you could only have one, sways seems to be everyone's pick for improved handling.

Had mine installed PAA (Park Ave Acura) during my last appointment. The install was a joke for them since they do it so often. But if you do it yourself, make sure you don't skip the teflon wrapping, otherwise you'll get squeaking!

ckNJ
Old 08-30-2002, 12:34 AM
Three Wheelin'

I just recently installed the Comptechs a few months ago and I love em. Easy to install if you have a set ramps and the required tools.

If your worried about comprimising the ride, I'd choose the Comptech ISO the Neuspeed which is a thicker bar.
You will quickly forget about any loss in ride quality within a few miles, it's not much at all.
Old 08-31-2002, 11:37 AM
Racer

jjpark, silver03TL

I waited for 1 year before I got the sways... Take it from me DONT ... This was the best mod (next to the BodyKIT) that improves the car so much its not even funny. As I'm sure everyone on here will agree .. the TYPE S models shoulda come with them in the first place.

I'm saving up for COILOVERS ... that's next !!!

TLS RULZ
Old 08-31-2002, 11:54 AM
Three Wheelin'

Yeah I waited a year too.....should have done it a long time ago.

A must have
Old 08-31-2002, 12:08 PM
Instructor

I put sways in a few months ago. I am very happy with them. Installed them myself. Not hard to do if you have the tools. They are more expensive than you think though. After I bought the sways I realized how much the stock tires suck. You tend to make turns much faster and the tires squeal. So I went out and bought new tires and rims. After buying new tires and rims I realized how hideous the wheel gap was. I just placed an order for springs. Those sway bars ended up costing me $1600.
Old 08-31-2002, 12:16 PM
Instructor

Thanks all for the input. I doubt I have the right tools to do the job correctly, so I'll probably take it in if I get it done. One last question... Would it also help the understeer, i.e. less squealing when making quick turns?

Jung
Old 08-31-2002, 01:02 PM
Three Wheelin'

how much did u guys pay for the sway bar (what brand too) and how much for installation?
Old 08-31-2002, 03:09 PM
Purchased: April 28, 2001

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Neuspeeds here, and frankly to me it seems as though the car was built like this from the factory. As other members posted earlier, getting sways will definitely show you how easy it is to break loose our stock tires. Ever since my accident, I can't help getting scared whenever I take fast corners. Don't make the same mistakes I did. Less body roll gave me TOO much confidence in the suspention, thereby forgetting how poor our OEM tires are. I vow to never do crazy shiet again (includes accessive speeding) without first changing my tires out.
Old 09-05-2002, 03:20 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by edgalang
Neuspeeds here, and frankly to me it seems as though the car was built like this from the factory. As other members posted earlier, getting sways will definitely show you how easy it is to break loose our stock tires. Ever since my accident, I can't help getting scared whenever I take fast corners. Don't make the same mistakes I did. Less body roll gave me TOO much confidence in the suspention, thereby forgetting how poor our OEM tires are. I vow to never do crazy shiet again (includes accessive speeding) without first changing my tires out.
hey edgalang, i strongly suggest you change all the tires on your tls to the bridgestone so3. you will find your car stick to the ground all the time
Old 09-05-2002, 09:47 AM
Advanced

Hey guys. The Neuspeed rear bar is only 19 mm. The TL-S rear sway bars are also 19 mm. I have an Accord, but this is why I used CL-S rear sway bar instead of Neuspeed's. I didn't want the polyurethane bushings that come with Neuspeed's since the price difference of CL-S and Neuspeed's was more than $50.

But if you want a bigger setup, Comptech's rear bar at 22 mm, Neuspeed's RACE rear bar at 25 mm, and Eibach's 22.3 mm (?) would give you much more neutral steering than the CL-S/TL-S/Neuspeed bar can give you.

How did you guys feel a difference with the Neuspeed bar when it's only 0.1 mm thicker? For Accords, the difference is bigger than that, so I noticed it right away.
Old 09-05-2002, 10:42 AM
2011 SH-AWD 6MT

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts
I'm considering getting the sways as well.
I don't have stock tires but I do have stock rims with new tires on them. They are all season radials and I was wondering if having this with just the sways will make the car seem like it can handle a turn better then break loose and make me crash.
Old 09-05-2002, 01:00 PM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,154 Likes on 825 Posts
Originally posted by edgalang
Sorry that you learn it the hard way. Nothing is more important than tires in terms of handling, because they are the only surfaces touching the ground. The oem suspension is more than capable of overpowering the $hitty oem tires. Upgrading the suspension components (shocks, springs, sways) is only effective if you have change to some capable tires.