which sway bar to buy?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2001, 11:22 AM

which sway bar to buy?

Hi, I want to buy sway bars for my man, but the problem is, I don't know which one to buy! I know to buy from this website, but I notice there are 2 different models of sway bars...the suspension techniques and another. Which do I buy and are they the Comptech ones? Thanks for everyone's help!!
Old 12-04-2001, 11:42 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
Lightbulb

I would buy the Comptech sways no question. Comptech makes stuff specifically for Honda/Acura, so I'd say that there the best, at least for sways.....

http://www.acura-tl.com/search/resul...eid=suspension

3rd section down is Comptech, sways are on the right.....
Old 12-04-2001, 11:44 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Agreed, Comptech's are the one. You can also get the installation instructions from the FAQ on this site as well.
Old 12-04-2001, 11:43 PM
Three Wheelin'

i don't have one yet but if i were to get one, i would get comptech without a doubt.
Old 12-05-2001, 03:15 AM
...and then there was One

Eibach should have their re-designed ones out in the first of the year. Who would install them for your man?
Old 12-05-2001, 03:26 AM
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by SimTypeS
Eibach should have their re-designed ones out in the first of the year. Who would install them for your man?
i was gonna mention the same...since i have prokits, i think i would consider getting eibachs over comptechs if i ever do get sways.
Old 12-05-2001, 06:05 AM
Burning Brakes

Don't wait... get the Comptech's. You will not be dissapointed. Makes the car handle so much better (the springs really help here too!)

Eibach, and ST make great products as well, but I'm really satisfied with Comptech's product line.

Jim
Old 12-05-2001, 06:06 AM
Purchased: April 28, 2001

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: which sway bar to buy?

Originally posted by QTpie
Hi, I want to buy sway bars for my man, but the problem is, I don't know which one to buy! I know to buy from this website, but I notice there are 2 different models of sway bars...the suspension techniques and another. Which do I buy and are they the Comptech ones? Thanks for everyone's help!!
Alas, again the Neuspeed Competition sway bars gets no representation. Slightly bit higher in price, but better build quality IMO (although if you opt to go with these, prepare to be critisized). But anyways, opinions aside, here is the general breakdown of your possible selection.

Stock Sways
Front 27mm (Hollow)
Rear 19mm (Solid)

Suspension Techniques
Front 27mm (Undefined)
Rear 19mm (Solid)

Comptech Sport
Front 27mm (Hollow)
Rear 22mm (Solid)

Neuspeed (Competition Set)
Front 27mm (Solid)
Rear 25mm (Solid)

Eibach (Which aren't out yet)
Front 27mm (Solid I think)
Rear 23mm (Solid)

Why would I go for...

Suspention Techniques
If you want to keep everything stock...broke the OEM sways and you basically need to find a replacement and you're not under warranty. Not a very smart buy IMO, but this is business, and I'm sure everyone has their personal tastes.

Comptech Sport
Thicker rear bar, but the front is still hollow (rumor has it that it has a thicker side wall than stocks...but noone is able to give any definitive measurements). If you have no clue on what to buy and don't want to think about it I guess this set is for you. It's been prooven by all board members and is the only set that *could be dealer certified.

Neuspeed (Competition Set)
Thickest and heaviest bars of the bunch, definitely the closest thing you can get to not having any body roll (race prooven). Rumor has it that the rear bar may tear the underbody brackets on normal street cars due to its sheer gerth, but this has only happened to other hondas and has not happened to a TL just yet.

Eibach (Which aren't out yet)
They were out at one point, but Eibach later withdrew them out of the market to make improvements, so technically if and when they come out, these bars would be the latest and greatest. Not sure if the front bar will be solid (they better be), but they ended up reducing the rear size by 2mm *just in case people do show problems with the 25mm rear bar.

Overall
Before I give my opinion, remember the general idea is, the stiffer the bar, the less body roll you get, the thicker the bar, the stiffer it is. Oh and hollow bars would flex more than solid bars.

So...the Suspension Techniques shouldnt even be in the equation. The Comptechs have been tried and true, but is showing it's age in design. (This reminds me of an old Valentine1 debate...old...but it works yata yata) If I was in you're scenario, I'd go with either Eibach or if you have the stomach for it the Neuspeeds. If you want the ultimate in performance, then it's Neuspeed all the way, reliability then Comptech and I would only assume that Eibach falls in the middle. But...that's only assuming that the Eibach set will have solid fronts...if not, then my only choice would be Neuspeed.

I personaly have the Neuspeeds myself and after 19,500 miles, I recently checked up on my underbody (crawling under it and checking the bolts and brackets by hand) everything still looks like it's in place. For those of you non-believers, no, I have not been babying it around sloped driveways/speed bumps/or even through potholes.
Old 12-05-2001, 06:17 AM
Three Wheelin'

Im going to order my sway bars in the spring.
For those who have installed the sways themselves is it really worth it to do it yourself? If you could have gotten them installed for $50 would you still have done it yourself? thanks.
Old 12-05-2001, 06:24 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by NBP TL
For those who have installed the sways themselves is it really worth it to do it yourself? If you could have gotten them installed for $50 would you still have done it yourself? thanks.
Absolutely. I work on all my vehicles, so this is really a moot point for me. It's not hard, just a bit time consuming.

I guess it all depends if you enjoy working on your car. If so, then why ask this question? If not, I'd still do it myself!

$50 in your pocket can go towards other goodies........
Old 12-05-2001, 06:31 AM

I like to work on the car myself too, so I guess the headers would be waaaay out of my league.
Old 12-05-2001, 08:25 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by mackdaddy
I guess it all depends if you enjoy working on your car. If so, then why ask this question? If not, I'd still do it myself!
I dont even change the oil myself! I know how to but i just dont think its worth it. Well, lets just say im way to lazy.
Old 12-05-2001, 08:52 AM
Bada Bing

I recommend the Comptech sways. For the mere reason that Comptech specializes in Honda/Acura parts only. I'm sure that there is nothing wrong with the rest but I just trust products made by a company that specializes in one car manufacturer. Plus if you read through all of the posts regarding sway bars, everyone on this board that has the Competchs have yet to complain about them...and there is a larger number of people with them so you'd think someone would have complained.
Old 12-05-2001, 03:04 PM
...and then there was One

I don't think anyone has complaing about any sway bars, except for the squeaky sway syndrome.
Old 12-05-2001, 03:28 PM
Racer

i would go comptechs for all the reasons stated plus if you have problems installing them they have a number you can call on their web site for any help you may need.
Old 12-05-2001, 03:33 PM

Originally posted by 2k2 TLS
plus if you have problems installing them they have a number you can call on their web site for any help you may need.
I think this goes for all the bars listed. Well....Neuspeed does.
Old 12-05-2001, 04:36 PM
Burning Brakes

I dont even change the oil myself! I know how to but i just dont think its worth it. Well, lets just say im way to lazy.
Sissy! :p Just kidding.

I'm not so fond of changing the oil either (usually let the dealer do it durring the cold months.) But mods, that's a different story. Nobody is touching my baby to do these but me.... period!