Swapping intake manifolds on a 99TL - CLS/TLS or MDX?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2005, 01:17 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,080 Likes on 661 Posts
Swapping intake manifolds on a 99TL - CLS/TLS or MDX?

OK, so my CLS throttle body is coming this week and I think I can swing a good deal on the intake manifold as well. I realize the weak links after I add the CLS TB are gonna be the CAI (which I will be replacing with a custom TypeS one) and the intake manifold. So I've been reading about the "possibility" of using either the CLS/TLS or MDX intake manifold on a 99TL to boost power.

So has anyone even attempted to fit a CLS/TLS or even an MDX intake manifold onto a 99TL? I'm trying to work out a deal to get the CLS IM so I can test fit it, but I really don't wanna waste the money shipping it back and forth if someone can definitively say it won't work.

I need to also work out the issue with the switchover but I figured I could wire in an rpm switch to handle that.

Looks like the big difference between the CLS and MDX IMs is the spacer used to lengthen the runner length.

Any thoughts?
Old 05-18-2005, 02:10 PM
trill recognize trill

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by NSXNEXT
OK, so my CLS throttle body is coming this week and I think I can swing a good deal on the intake manifold as well. I realize the weak links after I add the CLS TB are gonna be the CAI (which I will be replacing with a custom TypeS one) and the intake manifold. So I've been reading about the "possibility" of using either the CLS/TLS or MDX intake manifold on a 99TL to boost power.

So has anyone even attempted to fit a CLS/TLS or even an MDX intake manifold onto a 99TL? I'm trying to work out a deal to get the CLS IM so I can test fit it, but I really don't wanna waste the money shipping it back and forth if someone can definitively say it won't work.

I need to also work out the issue with the switchover but I figured I could wire in an rpm switch to handle that.

Looks like the big difference between the CLS and MDX IMs is the spacer used to lengthen the runner length.

Any thoughts?
good idea good luck with it
Old 05-18-2005, 02:27 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,080 Likes on 661 Posts
Originally Posted by yunginTL
good idea good luck with it
Um thanks for the contribution.
Old 05-18-2005, 07:39 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
teh only thing i can see being a issue is with the 2nd stage actauator on the type=s intakes. you will need to find a way to rpm activate it. the other issue is that teh intake is designed for a higher reving engine so you may not see the full advantages (stuff like this is kinda a unknown since i dont think any one has done it) if any thing i think the MDX manifold may yeild better results, but t may not fit under the hood??