Suspension...advice/input

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2003, 10:06 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Suspension...advice/input

I recently picked up an 03 TL-S, and as I've done with all of my previous vehicles, I'd like to upgrade the suspension. I've spent ample time searching this site and found a lot of useful information. I'm certainly not new to suspension tuning, but I would like to hear your thoughts on a few combinations I'm considering.

1) Bilstein Sport shocks / H&R Sport Springs

2) Tein BASIC coilovers

As you can see, damper adjustability is not important to me. I have always run spring/shocks combos on my cars and been very pleased with the outcome. In fact, I ran the Bilstein SP/H&R Sport set-up on my Integra Type R and loved it.

I'm just looking for a clean, even drop with slightly firmer ride characteristics. The only reason I'm considering the Tein's is strictly for the height adjustment. I have a set of Axis Se7en MOD (19x8 +45) w/ 225/35-19 that I'd like to put to use on occasion, but fear some rubbing issues if I go with the "fixed" H&R set-up.

Would prefer to keep entire package under $700.

Your thoughts?
Old 11-06-2003, 10:15 AM
Pro

I'd go with the TEINs...I love mine
Old 11-06-2003, 10:21 AM
Cruisin'

Originally posted by VTEChump
I'd go with the TEINs...I love mine
Do you have the BASIC or SS? How do you feel about their spring rates? Soft, firm? I'm curious as to the ride characteristics of these.

Thanks.
Old 11-06-2003, 10:21 AM
Drifting

Do you want handling or looks or both?

For handling upgrade your sways and tires.

Beyond that, I'd say go for the spring/strut upgrade that is cosmetically appealing to you.
Old 11-06-2003, 10:44 AM
Pro

I have the SS, so I can adjust the dampening. It will basically go from stock ride comfort to rather harsh ride comfort...I have mine set to 8 (medium) in the rear and 4 (4 from stiffest setting) in the front..I assume the BASIC are very similiar to the SS with the dampers set at 8 (medium) all around, which is a little stiffer than the stock ride comfort...If you get the SS you can make it ride like stock...
As for the spring rates, I think they are a little soft, but offer a good compromise b'twn ride comfort and handling...Remember also the coilovers were designed for the Accord which is a little lighter than the TL...

Sounds like for what you want the TEINs should work well, I reccomend getting the SS just in case your not satisfied with the ride characteristics of the BASICs..

Originally posted by Lex300
Do you have the BASIC or SS? How do you feel about their spring rates? Soft, firm? I'm curious as to the ride characteristics of these.

Thanks.
Old 11-06-2003, 10:48 AM
Cruisin'

VTEChump,

Great feedback! Thanks.
Old 11-06-2003, 10:53 AM
Cruisin'

Which spring rates would be higher(stiffer)...

H&R Sport OR

Tein SS/BASIC ????