Surface scratches on my car body

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2003, 02:19 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Surface scratches on my car body

I have a quick question. I have many surface scratches on the body of my car. Especially on the trunk of the car. A friend of mine mentioned to me that it could be due to the reason of waxing my car too often? has anyone ever heard of this?

btw the scratches look like the ones that occur on cellular phone screens. They haven't removed any paint, just are on the surface and can be seen very easily in bright sunlight.

Any ideas on how to cure this? or remove the current ones?

thanks in advanced.
Old 08-28-2003, 02:34 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Waxing your car too often ? I don't think so...unless the technique / method is incorrect (like not claying or washing prior).

If they're light scratches, the a mild polish may take them out. Sounds like it's just in the clear coat and not to the color. Can you feel them ? Tough to say without any pics.
Old 08-28-2003, 02:36 PM
Three Wheelin'

no you can't feel them at all....does your car give a perfect shine all around? I mean my car does shine like crazy, but in very very very bright sun...you can see very light light surface scratches. I doubt they would even show up if I took pics. With all the sunlight and the glare, prob wouldn't show up
Old 08-28-2003, 02:49 PM
Burning Brakes

Ok, if you can't feel them, they sound like swirl marks or micro marring. I had this bad vision that it was like a mild key mark. Have you ever seen cars with truely flawless paint ? They look and feel so pure. It's because they don't have these inperfections. It's good that you can't feel them. Means that they're not too deep.

If you're seeing lines in bright sunlight, it sounds like they are swirl marks. If you pull into a gasstation at night and look at the car under those bright floresent (sp) lights, you'll see different marks and chances are you won't see the same ones you saw in the sun light. It's all about reflections. When you have scratches, the scratch actually is reflecting/refracting the light differently. That's what your eye picks up.

I don't know what you use to wash/wax your car with, or how far you're willing to go. What will probably work is some mild polish. Maybe some 3M Imperial Hand Glaze or Meguiar's Swirl Mark Remover #9. Maybe a prewax cleaner might take them out. It's hard to say without actually being able to see it.

I have a little OCD. I spent 6 hours detailing on Sunday and 4 hours the Sunday before....just so you know where I'm coming from.
Hope this helps
Old 08-28-2003, 02:55 PM
Three Wheelin'

Where can I buy a good polish for my car to remove these marks?

and is there an amount of time you should wait between each time you wax your car?
Old 08-28-2003, 03:05 PM
Burning Brakes

auto wax at an auto store

and the usual wait time between waxes is long enough that you really should wash and dry it again between waxes UNLESS you use the zaino Z-? additive that speeds-up the polimer adhesion process.
Old 08-28-2003, 03:18 PM
Burning Brakes

yeah, you can usually pick up 3M, Meguiars or Mothers products at most auto stores. I'm not sure what it's like in Canada. You can check some of these places to see if they deliver to you.
www.properautocare.com
www.autogeek.net
www.topoftheline.net

Wait between wax ? That depends on what you're using. Like yield2 is mentioning, Zaino ZFX is an additive for the Zaino to accelerate the drying process. I wouldn't use that stuff with anything but Zaino though.
If you can wax a car once a month thats a pretty good bet. I use Zaino so do it every few months.

I should've mentioned this when I first posted, but read this, maybe it will help explain it better.
http://www.properautocare.com/byhand.html
Hope this helps you out. Good luck !