Sunshade bubble removal

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2003, 12:56 PM
is the Mighty Favog

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sunshade bubble removal

I just received my Valentine 1 this afternoon and the best place I'd like to put it is between the rear view mirror and the headliner. This would be great but there are those pesky sun shade dots on the windshield. Can these be removed with, say, a solvent, scaping with a maxed out credit card, finger nail?

Also, I do plan on hard wiring this thing in so does anyone remember the color of the wire for the cigarette lighter outlets (that I only use to charge my cell phone in the center consol) on the back of the fuse box to use the supplied tap on?
Old 05-14-2003, 05:05 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just put a small strip of clear packing tape over it and it will give you better suction.

http://www.acura-tl.com/forum/showth...ighlight=radar
Old 05-14-2003, 08:02 PM
Pro

but i think it has to be high enough to be over the mirror (so the radar eye can work at full capacity). in order to mount it this high, the bubbles would be blocking where the detector picks up the signal.
Old 05-14-2003, 08:06 PM
l33t

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have it mounted up there. The "eye" is just a hair below the dots.

My V1 is to the left of my rear view mirror, and about 2 inchs down the windshiled. So it goes just beyone the border of the dots.

That "eye" is actualyl a radio antenna for picking up floating radar signals. there is an eye in there for the laser light, but dots or no dots, the V1 will pick it up. The far corner of my V1 is covered by the dots, and the entire V1 is covered by my 3% tint strip on the front windshield. Ive been pulsed with laser so many times, its never missed a lick, not even up there.

But the range and sensitivity of the V1 has increased noticabaly over the standard lower center of the windshield that most people do.... dont worry about the dots....
Old 05-14-2003, 09:02 PM
is the Mighty Favog

Well, I put it in tonight after work and got it right on the second try.

First the suction cups didn't hold very well and the unit fell and put two dings in the sifter gate bezel. The I got it wired up with the supplied hardware and off I went. I have some old GM style fuse taps from the last time I did this but they were tooooo big to fit back in the 30amp's fuse slot. Nix that idea. So I used the fold over blade tap that came with the V1. Found the wiring harness at the fuse box that controlled the wipers. There's three wires and I test the blue w/white chaser to be switchable. Took the car out as it started to rain. Every time the wipers made a sweep the detector would shut off and reset to the "on" mode. Back to the garage I go. Tested another wire in the same harness. This time I was looking for a voltage drop during a wiper sweep. 1/4 volt drop! COOL!! The magic wire is GREEN W/BLACK CHASER at the harness plug. It's the largest guage wires in there.

After soaking the suction cups in hot tap water for a couple minutes they stuck like crazy glue. The packing tape idea just might be the ticket. Right now it's sitting just at the 8 o'clock position from the dots.

Just hope I can convince the dealer that those two dings were there when I got the car since it had almost 200 miles on it and I bought it as new.:devil: Anybody know how to get the shifter gate bezel out in case I have to buy one?

Darkshear-

With your up that high can you see the display lights from the back of the car? I was using that as a good demo to get enough receprtion from rear Bogies. I was concerned about it getting blocked by the headliner, sunglasses holder, map lights etc....
Old 05-14-2003, 09:46 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Tom Blasing

Anybody know how to get the shifter gate bezel out in case I have to buy one?

1)remove the shift knob (blue arrow) by turning it counter clock wise. (just turn it, you won't break anything)
2)stick a flat head screw driver or your nail on the edge(red arrow) and pull that piece out.
3) This is the hardest part, either pull the shift plate to one side and pull it up. Or stick somthing into the holes on the sides and try to loosen it that way.

Old 05-14-2003, 11:25 PM
l33t

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
First off, rear reception is sorta a myth. the ony way you get a bogie from the rear is if your being targed from the rear.... thats why if you pass a cop going the other direction, your Ka is going off liek crazy, till you pass him then its almost silent. But if he was behind you, it would be screaming again.

No rear reception issues at all, in face, its much better now.

I wired it to the fuse that runs the--- i dont remember...

basically i rigged it to the fuse panel. since the V1 uses a little less than one amp, it just didnt matter what i rigged it to. Same thing with my K40.
Old 05-21-2003, 02:34 PM
is the Mighty Favog

I got some great news today! I had to take in the lil' hot rod to have the moon roof switch replaced because it was sticking inthe open position. I also wanted them to look at the dings in the shifter bezel. They're going to replace that too under waranty!! Woohooo! Just saved $80...

They did give me a loaner for a couple days. A 99' Integra four door. Man, this thing leaves a lot to be desired. Engine noise, transmission noise, tire noise...and it only has 48k miles. It looks like every other car out there. My 9 year old Talon feels a lot more solid than this thing. At least the doors don't go "bong" when you close them in the DSM.