Suggestions on what and how

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2001, 04:31 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Suggestions on what and how

Guys I need some help before initiating this next project. I want to paint the brake calipers, but I want to know if their is a product that someone has used to remove the damn annoying rust. I belive someone here posted pics of what they used and how it came out.

The paint I plan to use for the brake calipers is simply high heat engine paint in silver. I don't want to use reds or yellows becuase I feel that I will have to be applying every so often. Also I plan to sand down the brake caliper what was the type of sand paper used if someone knows.

Any heads up on this I will appreciate it before getting started.

Thanks...
Old 12-23-2001, 08:41 PM
Instructor

Talking Once again HOT RIMS!

Hey get some X-Drilled Rotors... That will sove the rust on the rotors and look sooooo F'ing cool.. on ebay they ar 200-300$$... the rusting you can go to your autoparts store and ask for some rust removal solution... That should help... The paint choice should work fine on calipers.. Why not black?
Old 12-23-2001, 09:36 PM
Racer

Re: Once again HOT RIMS!

Originally posted by Thai.95LCoupe
Hey get some X-Drilled Rotors... That will sove the rust on the rotors and look sooooo F'ing cool.. on ebay they ar 200-300$$... the rusting you can go to your autoparts store and ask for some rust removal solution... That should help... The paint choice should work fine on calipers.. Why not black?
Correct me if I'm wrong but I heard that if you get drilled rotors that when you have to change the brake pads you need to re-surface the rotor and with the drilled rotors you won't be able to do so. Again not intirely sure about this...???

But if not eventually I would like to look into getting the cross drilled rotor look. Rolling on 19's really exposes the braking system and every day I see it and I'm beggining to get the itch on upgrading the braking system...

Black or silver are both my choices that I might use to paint the calipers... Will see I'll post some pics...
Old 12-23-2001, 10:14 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 123 Likes on 99 Posts
No, cross-drilled rotors do not solve the rusting problem, it's the cadium plating on the cross-drilled rotors that does this. As for resurfacing cross-drilled rotors, you'll be lucky to find a good machinist who is willing to resurface those for you. I wasted money on 2 sets of quickly warpped Powerstop cross-drilled rotors, and was always told that I wouldn't be able to resurface those until recently. I recently swapped back to stock OEM Honda rotors and to find no noticable performance loss or gain from cross-drilled ones.

Your calipers shouldn't be rusted too bad though, usually the rotors are. And if you plan on sanding down your caliper, good luck on that because it's a hard thing to do with bends and irregular surfaces. What I would recommend is to use wire metal brush to brush off most of the rust and use a can of brake cleaner to clean the surface before painting. This was what I did a couple years back and the paint is still on there solid. Also I would recommend a special caliper paint kit (Foliatec) instead of your regular engine high heat paint. The engin high heat paint does not shine and looks rather dull.