Sudden jerk/loss of power while coasting

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2015, 08:33 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sudden jerk/loss of power while coasting

So lately, I have noticed while coasting along (at any speed really), for a split second it feels like the engine almost cuts off and jerks the car. It's hard to explain but it's for less than a second I'd say, and it's too fast to notice if the dash lights go out and all that.

I've had a similar experience in an old neon where I ended up replacing a coil pack which solved the problem.

Just wondering though if anyone in our world has had this issue. MAF need to be cleaned? Plugs? etc?
Old 11-17-2015, 08:38 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,692 Likes on 6,706 Posts
Any CEL ? we need more info about your car, from your sn i assume it's an 03 TL-S, auto, manual?. Transmission? miles? maintenance?
Old 11-17-2015, 11:10 AM
Cruisin'

My bad. No CEL. Had a reader hooked up while driving and it also didn't pull anything.

2003 TL-S. Auto trans, original.

187k KM (not miles).

Oil changed every 5k KM, do a drain and fill for trans of only 3qts every 6 months or so.
Old 11-17-2015, 09:07 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 106 Likes on 97 Posts
I believe my 02 TLS does the same thing you describe. It's usually within the first say 5 miles of driving. My tranny is exhibiting torque converter issues so have always attributed it to something with the trans but I'm not sure
Old 11-18-2015, 02:35 AM
uʍop ǝpısdn ǝdʎʇ uɐɔ ı

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
I've had this exact thing happen! I believe it is the torque converter locking and unlocking. I plan to clean my IACV over xmas and I'll report back if that solves the issue. This "jerk" happens once every few months and doesn't continue if I downshift etc. Its an odd one or two time event under very light or no throttle coasting.
Old 11-18-2015, 06:35 AM
Racer

Received 84 Likes on 74 Posts
Originally Posted by MarcDavidoff
I believe my 02 TLS does the same thing you describe. It's usually within the first say 5 miles of driving. My tranny is exhibiting torque converter issues so have always attributed it to something with the trans but I'm not sure
I don't think that it's related to a specific torque converter or trans. My '03 TL-S did this with the old factory setup and it does it once in a blue moon with the new AV6 trans and torque converter.

Originally Posted by thelastaspec
This "jerk" happens once every few months and doesn't continue if I downshift etc. Its an odd one or two time event under very light or no throttle coasting.
Mine does it very randomly under these same conditions as well and the only time that it seems to happen is during the first 1 -2 miles of driving after the car has been sitting all day or overnight.
Old 11-18-2015, 07:21 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,692 Likes on 6,706 Posts
Has anyone checked their fuel lines, fuel pumps, fuel pressure when this happens? Loss of power sort of has me pointing in that direction if it is spark and your air filter is in decent condition.
Old 11-18-2015, 09:10 AM
Cruisin'

I was thinking possibly fuel/ignition related as well but without codes you're just kind of guessing unfortunately.

I'm going to go with my cheapest option and throw some fuel system cleaner in tonight. THough I haven't had an any issues the past few drives.

I was also thinking the torque converter locking up as a few others had mentioned, but don't really have a good way to nailing that theory down.
Old 11-18-2015, 09:13 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by thoiboi
Has anyone checked their fuel lines, fuel pumps, fuel pressure when this happens? Loss of power sort of has me pointing in that direction if it is spark and your air filter is in decent condition.
The problem is that this is literally a split second event. By the time you realize that it's happening, it's already over. As far as I can tell, there is no way to re-create it either because it doesn't happen every time under the same conditions.

In my case, my car does this in the same spot on my commute to work and in the same spot on the way home from work. On the way to work, it's while I'm coasting down a slight hill and on the way home, it's while I'm coasting or under light throttle on a relatively flat piece of road. Both of these locations are approximately the same distance from where the car was parked all day or overnight. It doesn't happen every day and probably not even once a month, so there is absolutely no way to anticipate it or force the car to act up. It hasn't gotten more frequent as the car has accumulated more miles.

So far, the guys that have spoken up all have TL-S models. I wonder if it's not something unique to that model. Maybe the VSA throttle body getting shut for a split second for some reason or something else.
Old 11-18-2015, 06:15 PM
Burning Brakes

^thanks MBP 03 for the replies. Seems then since you have an AV6 trans swap that basically rules that out. I also thought maybe it could be something to do with the grade logic having a quick brain fart.
Like you mention, it is a very random split second occurrence that I also only get maybe once every 2 weeks on average. And like you and I mentioned for us, it usually only happens within the first few miles of driving after sitting overnight under cruising conditions or very light throttle at a speed of say 35-45mph.

Btw- did you do the AV6 swap yourself or have a shop do it? I see you are in NJ as well so was wondering

Last edited by MarcDavidoff; 11-18-2015 at 06:17 PM.
Old 11-18-2015, 07:53 PM
Racer

And like you and I mentioned for us, it usually only happens within the first few miles of driving after sitting overnight under cruising conditions or very light throttle at a speed of say 35-45mph.

Btw- did you do the AV6 swap yourself or have a shop do it? I see you are in NJ as well so was wondering
I would agree with your MPH range estimate for this issue. It has definitely not happened below 30 MPH for me.

I did the AV6 swap in my garage.
Old 11-18-2015, 08:34 PM
Pro

Received 94 Likes on 79 Posts
Do the RPMs flare for that split second or is it a loss of power thing? Do any lights on the dash flash during that split second?
Old 11-18-2015, 08:46 PM
uʍop ǝpısdn ǝdʎʇ uɐɔ ı

Originally Posted by Chojun
Do the RPMs flare for that split second or is it a loss of power thing? Do any lights on the dash flash during that split second?
They go down. Its almost like a buck. If you search back to 2002 on the forms there are posts of people having the same issue.
Old 11-18-2015, 08:48 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by MBP 03
I would agree with your MPH range estimate for this issue. It has definitely not happened below 30 MPH for me.

I did the AV6 swap in my garage.
Nice work. I may have to hit you up in case I attempt it myself
Originally Posted by Chojun
No- there is no flare up of rpm. If anything a quick drop. I don't recall ever seeing any dash lights or headlight flickering. It's as if the ignition cuts off for a quick second..a stumble
Old 11-18-2015, 10:19 PM
uʍop ǝpısdn ǝdʎʇ uɐɔ ı

No- there is no flare up of rpm. If anything a quick drop. I don't recall ever seeing any dash lights or headlight flickering. It's as if the ignition cuts off for a quick second..a stumble
exactly this. its so infrequent though and always coasting or ultra light throttle at a low RPM to begin with
Old 11-18-2015, 10:40 PM
Burning Brakes

I never searched for the issue but here is another thread.
https://acurazine.com/forums/second-...e-time-523398/
Old 11-19-2015, 12:01 AM
Pro

Received 94 Likes on 79 Posts
Guys try this. Before leaving start your car and run it until the radiator fan comes on the first time. Then drive it and see if this problem occurs.

I kinda have a theory and am curious to know if the problem goes away if you try this. Let me know.
Old 11-19-2015, 08:49 AM
Racer

No problem. I'm happy to answer any questions.

I can confirm that no dash lights come on when this happens.
Old 11-19-2015, 03:12 PM
Cruisin'

Wow, I'm surprised so many people get the exact same thing as me. It's somewhat reassuring that certain things are kind of ruled out (trans). It hasn't happened for over a week now for me.

I picked up some STP Fuel System complete last night and threw it in just in case. I'm still under the impression that those things don't do much, but I dont think it hurts to do it for 8 bucks.

I'll report back if things keep happening, but as others said, nothing noticeable on the dash happens that I can tell. It's so fast that it's hard to catch.
Old 11-19-2015, 06:36 PM
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
2002 tl-s

I had this experience to varying degrees when there was air trapped in my cooling system after a radiator change in my 2002 TL-S.