SUCKERS

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2001, 10:26 AM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink SUCKERS

OK. By now we have all seen at least a few pics of the new '02 TL/TL-S. We have formed our judgements, made our opinions, and shared our feelings. We all feel that it is either 'not for me,' or 'looks good.'
Bottom line: It seems that we all feel Acura has managed to mess with us current TL-ers just enough to piss us off. Some feel that resale value is going to drop, others say the new car doesn't look all that different, and new buyers (non-enthusiasts) won't notice anyway.
I am NOT bragging or flaunting, but I for one am glad that I leased my '99 rather than purchased it. If the resale drops, Acura can deal with it while I drive away in a brand new '03. There is a post on how the '99 owners got shafted because of the '00 minor refinements. I think WE ALL GOT SHAFTED by Acura. I still LOVE my car, but I know Acura will continue to change the TL (especially when they do the 'major' facelift).
I guess I am just venting here, but I think that most of you know where I am coming from on this. Acura cares about sales, not us individually. The same is true with all car manufacturers. I will still consider a TL or Rl when my lease is up, but if they don't have what I am looking for, they will lose my business. Not that they care about one person's sale, but if they continue to do what they are doing, I think that Lexus and Infiniti (the new Q) will leave them in the dust.

------------------
'99TL Laguna Green
Burlwood shift knob and full woodgrain kit w/ custom glove box
Custom grill

Coming soon: 18's!!
Old 01-07-2001, 12:15 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I agree with Toledo TL. It is just common sense. The issue about resale value is really dependent on how consumers want to acquire their car. If I could get a 2000 TL at say 25K or choose to buy a brand new TL at 30K, most would op for the 30K brand new. Why? Because people who want to buy TL's have more liquidable money or better ability to pay back.

I am happy to see little changes to the car every year because it is the spirit of continuous improvement. The usage of the Japan talelights did not screw us...it is in fact a change here in US. It is just use enthusiasts who decided to go and import Japan spec ones that have made it seem like they are screwing us. It is a change and Acura will continue to do that, I'm sure

Originally posted by Toledo TL:
Those of us TL owners did not get screwed by Acura. Do you think that if you went out and bought or leased a new computer the computer makers were screwing you every 3 months when they came out with new improved and faster processors.

The auto companies used to change their car models every year. We are used to having car models now that stay very much the same every year.

I also leased my 99 TL and when I took delivery of it in June 1999 I wasn;t sure if I wanted a 99 or wait until the 2000's came out. Iim very happy with it and when the 2000s came out with the new 5 speed automatic and the other improvements, that was fine, because I knew that in 2002 I would be getting another and I had also heard the rumors of a S-Type coming out.

I would feel that Acura was screwing people if they kept the cars the same and didn't improve them.

Old 01-07-2001, 12:32 PM
Team Owner

Received 2,183 Likes on 1,196 Posts
I wouldn't feel screwed. Hey if anything there may be a market for your cars because of people not liking the new front end. I wouldn't expect any sudden drop in resale value because of the changes. I'm sure there will be people upset that they just bought an '03 and here comes the new '04.

My wife and I are going for an '02 for two reasons. 6 disc changer in the front, and memory seats(she's 4'11 and I'm 6'5"), other than that I would probably go out and get a great deal on an '01 today. I don't think Type-S is in my future but you never know.

Anyone think the dealers are going to try to sell the '02 at sticker? The discounts on the '01 have been geting nice. I wish I didn't have to buy in March but that's when my wife's lease is up.

Old 01-07-2001, 03:00 PM
Racer

Thumbs down

TLWiz,

I said it before, I'll say it again: This is what car makers (and, as Toledo TL pointed out, lots of other businesses) do! They introduce a product, they improve it over time, and then they introduce a replacement.

Have you ever bought a car before? Get used to it!

------------------
David

Black-on-Black non-NAV 2000

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">[This message has been edited by black2000 on January 07, 2001 @ ]</font>
Old 01-07-2001, 03:12 PM
Pro

What the f*ck are you guys talking about? You missed my point entirely. I was saying exactly what you are, just with out saying it point blank. I know that car companies change and upgrade from year to year, do you think I am stupid? I am mearly trying to say that from all the b*tching about the new one coming out, it seems that some of the owners are upset. Geez.

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">[This message has been edited by TLwiz on January 07, 2001 @ ]</font>
Old 01-07-2001, 04:50 PM
Burning Brakes

Change is good. Cars get better each year, that's all. '98 TL owners probably said the same thing when '99 came out almost $5K less and much improved, while the rest of us got to buy a great car.

I would feel 'screwed' if Acura did what Toyota did a few years ago: sales of the Supra were sluggish, so for the last year they cut the price of the Turbo by about $10,000. That sucks if you bought one a month prior!!!

------------------
'01 White Diamond Pearl 3.2TL
-Wing, tint, burlwood shift, Whistler 6-band
'88 White RX-7 Convertible
-Permanent tinitus courtesy of Rockford-Fosgate
Old 01-07-2001, 11:25 PM

Cool

Those of us TL owners did not get screwed by Acura. Do you think that if you went out and bought or leased a new computer the computer makers were screwing you every 3 months when they came out with new improved and faster processors.

The auto companies used to change their car models every year. We are used to having car models now that stay very much the same every year.

I also leased my 99 TL and when I took delivery of it in June 1999 I wasn;t sure if I wanted a 99 or wait until the 2000's came out. Iim very happy with it and when the 2000s came out with the new 5 speed automatic and the other improvements, that was fine, because I knew that in 2002 I would be getting another and I had also heard the rumors of a S-Type coming out.

I would feel that Acura was screwing people if they kept the cars the same and didn't improve them.

------------------
1999 TL
Monterey Blue, with wood trim and burlwood knob.
Old 01-08-2001, 08:11 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Two (or 3?) years from now there'll be another totally (supposed-to-be) redesigned TL. So don't feel too bad about this year-4 TL of the current generation.
Old 01-09-2001, 11:48 PM

Smile

Geesh. I can hear someone else complaining that their car looks the same as the model made 4 years ago, that some teenager working at McD's is driving!

Sometimes you have the newest model sometimes you don't. Trade up every two years or live with it.

------------------
2000 3.2 TL, Paper maps.
Comptech axle-back exhaust.
225/55ZR-16 RE730s on OEM alloys.
205/55QR-16 Alpins on steel wheels w/covers (winter).

Pictures