Subaru WRX VS TL-S

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2001, 04:38 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Subaru WRX VS TL-S

Wow, that Subaru is amazingly fast! I never thought that a Subaru would match the acceleration of the TL-S!!

I was at a stop light durin a sunny hot day when a black 4 door Subaru cam beside me. The man in it, with his 4 windows down, hit a look over me, and with a smile asked me if my car can go "forward". ??? I go, yes it can with a smile. I floor it until 50 mph, thinking that I just put him in the dust!
NO, he was beside me in my dead angle...

Wow, that car (WRX) is powerful.
It changed my way of thinking about Subaru cars...

------------------[*]2002 TL-S Satin Silver Canadian model[*]50%-35% Tint[*]Ebony wood kit from snook789
Old 06-16-2001, 04:41 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
Cool

Yeah, they're quick. I believe 0-60 their faster, and they'll also eat us alive in the twisties. They are really different cars though. Ours is a Luxury Touring kind of car and that is a rally car. I looked at it for a little while but realized I like the "creature comforts" I get in the Acuras.....

------------------
1998 Iced Blue CL 3.0
Mods: * PIAA Superwhite Headlights ** Rabrig Superwhite corners ** PIAA 1100x Superwhite fogs ** Clear Bumpers (finally) ** tinted windows (20% rear / 35% rest) ** Weapon-R F1 Carbon Intake ** (NOW FOR SALE!!)

Moderator - 1st Gen and Car Talk Forum @ www.acura-cl.com
Old 06-16-2001, 05:49 PM
Advanced

I think that qualifies as a kill, since he thought you were gonna eat his dust and you didn't. That's funny! I would have loved to see the look on his face.
Old 06-17-2001, 12:08 AM
Advanced

Dude, I almost ended up buying the WRX too. That car is fast and fun to drive. Only problem was it was sub-compact (smaller than Civic) for my 6 ft 200+ lbs body. And most people think the car is cheap ugly subaru (usually the girls hate that car). So I got TLS instead. No regrets.

Old 06-17-2001, 01:16 AM
Instructor

I've been bouncing back and forth between a Type-S and a WRX Wagon lately. Currently leaning towards the WRX Wagon. But I still have until January to decide. Heard recently that the STi will make it over here within a year. Damn that car is going to rock the roads of America.

WRX Wagon:
Pros:
manual transmission
utility (lugging stuff from and to school)
AWD
larger aftermarket
almost 10k cheaper
turbo (I love those turbo sounds)
better handling

Cons:
STi will be out soon (I'll feel like I was ripped off, although STi will probably be almost $30k)
looks like @$$
interior pales in comparison to the Type-S
no navigation system
ain't gonna get the ladies

Acura TL Type-S w/navi:
Pros:
looks awesome with a body kit
my favorite company Honda =D
respectable long term car
larger interior minus the storage capacity

Cons:
no AWD
rear seats don't fold down
$10k more expensive than the WRX
smaller aftermarket
no turbo sound =D
no manual, but the 6-speed coming to the CL-S soon has a chance of making it to the TL-S.

What to do what to do...

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">[This message has been edited by dcdomain on June 17, 2001 @ ]</font>
Old 06-17-2001, 03:30 AM

The WRX's are awesome, they will tear the our type-S's up in the turns. BUT, they don't have leather. I know they are rally cars just made for the street but they could have had some options to make them a little more luxurious, if they did I am sure I would have bought one and got used to the way it looked. It was so much fun to drive!!!! I have no regrets though, the type-S gives me luxury and a little speed.
Old 06-17-2001, 04:28 AM

The WRX certainly is not a luxury car. I sort of equate it to a stealthy urban assault vehicle. I went to a So. Cal. WRX meet yesterday in Valencia, CA. I was the only one there with an IS300. Funny thing is when I go to the CL-S/TL-S meets, I wish I had 45 hp more, when I went to the WRX meet, I wish I had 45 ft/lb of torque and AWD.

It is amazing how much torque is available at such low rpm's as well as how planted the WRX's were even with OEM 16" tires and wheels. It made my IS300 feel like a crown victoria! The temp was 100 F and my IS300 felt very anemic and the rotors started to warp!!! I had a hard time even keeping the WRX's in site! The Cl-S and TL-S's will beat me anyday on the straights, however (no offense folks) I can take on any TL-S or CL-S in the canyons with or without mods.

However, with these WRX's, different story, could barely keep up on the straight, and I was left for dead in the canyons!

What is truly amazing is that I have driven S4's and TT's (all with 6 spd) and the lightweight WRX is more confidence inspiring than those high priced germans.

For about $26K, quite an impressive vehicle. I can't wait for the STi version, if that happens, I will dump my IS300 on a dime and buy a WRX. Actually, looking to dump the IS anyways. Just need to find the next ride.
Old 06-17-2001, 06:39 AM
Dr. TLS

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by dcdomain:
Pros:
almost 10k cheaper
Now when you say it's $10K cheaper than a TL-S, I am assuming that the WRX also comes with leather, climate control, 17" alloy wheels, Bose sound system, powered seats, and HID lights, just to mention a few. A car that is "stripped down" in comparison to a TL-S should indeed cost much less than it or nobody would even consider buying them.

------------------
2002 TL Type S w/o Navi
Diamond White Pearl
Parchment Interior

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">[This message has been edited by vandy786 on June 17, 2001 @ ]</font>
Old 06-17-2001, 12:30 PM
Advanced

True... the WRX isn't equipped like a TL-S... but it isn't supposed to be. If you added all the (arguably useless) garbage that a TLS and BMW have (sound dampening etc.), you'd have a car that weighs a lot more, and hence would no longer be the awesome handler that it is. I agree that without options... it is still kinda pricey. But if you are an enthusiast, your next stop is the $40k league. Also, options aren't worth anywhere near what they charge for them anyway. I think there must be about 900% profit in them. That is one great thing about the TL-S... no BS.

Another thing... as far as leather goes, most leather used in cars is complete garbage anyway. It usually looks trashed after 2 years. I've seen it on Jeeps, Chevys, BMWs. I'm sure most others are bad. The only manufacturer I can vouch for personally is Lexus, but I'm sure there are others.

I guess my point was, the people looking for a WRX aren't looking for every gadget available. If they optioned them up and sold them for $32k, they would sell fewer because it would just be another luxo-sport-sedan... the ugliest too.

Old 06-18-2001, 01:17 PM
Intermediate

Talking

I LOVE subarus! My '96 Impreza has been absolutely terrific. My wife's '99 Forrester is great too.

The WRX is an absolute blast to drive. It will beat the TL type S in straight aways, and the AWD will blow the Acura away when it comes to foul weather and twisty roads.

...But you can't compare the two. It's apples and oranges. One is a true sport/rally car, the other is touring luxury with a splash of sportiness and power.

Old 06-18-2001, 04:49 PM
Advanced

How will the STI be different? Weight? Power? Low end torque?
Old 06-18-2001, 10:33 PM

well, the STI has:
1. more HP 280, larger intercooler
2. Better interior (recaro seats)
3. upgraded suspension
4. 6 speed tranny, and a limited rear diff.
5. upgraded spoiler package
6. Larger breaks
7. 17 inch rims
8. A little better stereo
hope this helps

------------------
Stone
97GTI VR6 FI
Old 06-18-2001, 11:29 PM
Intermediate

My bottom line take is that if you can handle the looks (yikes), the WRX is a performance steal for 26k.
Old 06-18-2001, 11:47 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
STi STi
w00t! w00t!

Sub buyers, wait for the STi...
Old 06-19-2001, 01:39 AM
Pro

Cool

Originally posted by Stone VR6:
well, the STI has:
1. more HP 280, larger intercooler
2. Better interior (recaro seats)
3. upgraded suspension
4. 6 speed tranny, and a limited rear diff.
5. upgraded spoiler package
6. Larger breaks
7. 17 inch rims
8. A little better stereo
hope this helps

The limited slip rear differential is already available in the WRX...

17 inch bbs rims are also available at extra cost in the WRX...

better stereo is also available in the WRX

------------------
2000 Naples Gold 3.2TL/Navi - Factory Stock but with up-graded tires
Old 06-19-2001, 03:19 AM
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
The STi got Brembo brakes, and the ability to hang with the M3, and perhaps kill the S4. The engine will rev to 8000 rpm as well. I am pretty sure that with few mods you can push the WRX engine to 280+hp. You need lager intercooler, and ECU computer. But you still don't get the 6 spd gearbox. So, I had wait a bit for the STi.

I had get the STi in a heartbeat if they actually make it into Canada.

For those who want a STi WRX engine import from Japan. I know a guy that can get those in Canada, and he actually got a STi engine on his 2.5 RS.
Old 06-19-2001, 09:40 AM
Instructor

Would love to wait for the STi, but I need a car by January. Wish the STi would be out by then, but probably not. And if the six-speed manual actually made it to the TL Type-S by then? DAMN!!!

And yes I know it's like comparing apples to oranges, that's why I'm having such a hard time. If they were indeed similar cars, it would be easier comparing the two. But there are points to both cars that I like. Wish I could merge the two...

Sounds like an Audi S6 after a merge, but I dislike Audi's. I respect the cars, but dislike the people I know that drive them... stuck up!
Old 06-19-2001, 09:41 AM
Instructor

Would love to wait for the STi, but I need a car by January. Wish the STi would be out by then, but probably not. And if the six-speed manual actually made it to the TL Type-S by then? DAMN!!!

And yes I know it's like comparing apples to oranges, that's why I'm having such a hard time. If they were indeed similar cars, it would be easier comparing the two. But there are points to both cars that I like. Wish I could merge the two...

Sounds like an Audi S6 after a merge, but I dislike Audi's. I respect the cars, but dislike the people I know that drive them... stuck up!
Old 06-19-2001, 06:34 PM

Exclamation

WRX is noooooooooooooooooo joke, 0-60 in high 5's/low 6's. STI will be coming here 0-60 in high 4's/low 5's yikes!!!