stuck in iraq thinkin bout my TL

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2003, 05:56 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy stuck in iraq thinkin bout my TL

hey guys,
haven't posted in a while, I am out here in Iraq still with 1st Mar Div. (using NIPR satilite internet connection, 2400 bps) Anyhow, I've been thinking alot about my TL back in states. I have it in storage right now, and it has been about 5 months.it was garaged. I didn;t have time to jack the car, so its on its wheels. But I filled the fuel tank and added fuel stabilizer, cracked open window, put paper towels on wiper blades, sprayed light silicone on door seals and disconnect battery.

My main question is what procedures do i need to go through to get my car properly out of storage. I mean how long should i idle the car, etc.. also this is a stupid question but it has been on my mind. Which terminal on the battery was positive and which negative? the red rubber guard on the cable is postive and so i should but the black cable (neg) on the negative terminal first then positive to positive right? do you think the tires are oblonged and warped? thanks for the help..

abe in iraq
Old 06-01-2003, 06:44 PM
l33t

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Abe - First off, you fuking rock dude. I praise you for who you are and what u r doing.

Second, since shes on her wheels, theres a good chance your going to have flat spots on ur tires now. but thats the worst of it. just make sure shes got fresh fluids when u get home.

Wasnt there anyone that could take it "around the block" a few times a week for you?
Old 06-01-2003, 06:56 PM
10th Gear

left car sitting around

Abe,

Our thoughts are with you in Iraq. Sounds like your division did a bang-up job over there and we are grateful for your work on behalf of our nation.

On to the car... My wife left her car sitting outside on the street for three straight years (including record snowstorms). Over that time, the battery went dead, the tires slowly deflated, the tires got little cracks and lost their shape, the windshield wiper inserts decomposed, and the fan belts got loose. When I got it running again, we had to replace the battery, replace the wiper inserts, replace the front brakes (rotors and pads), replace the tires, tighten and lubricate the belts, and change the oil. Roughly the same thing happened to my mother's car after leaving it outside for only six months without being used.

My best advice is to listen very carefully to the brakes when you first start using your car again. If you hear any grinding, then immediately get the brake pads changed so you won't damage the rotors. In both cases, I incorrectly thought the grinding was just some rust on the rotors and ended up having to replace the rotors and the pads instead of just the pads.

P.S. What do you think of Swofford's book "Jarhead"?
Old 06-01-2003, 10:22 PM
Safety Car

:worshi: :worship: :worship:
Wish you the best of luck over there and come home soon!
Old 06-02-2003, 12:07 AM
Flyin' and Drivin'

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
Should be fine... but I guarentee you your TL misses you just as much as you miss it!!!
Old 06-02-2003, 07:56 AM
Dr. TLS

Smart thing by not letting anyone drive the car while you were gone. I would have done the same. Lot of people like to "test" the power of fast cars. I don't have much advice about unstoraging the car, but I do hope that you test to see if VTEC is still functional on your car once you get back (j/k). Hope you get to enjoy your TL real soon.
Old 06-04-2003, 05:25 PM
Instructor

I plan to have the dealer drain and refill all the fluids and check/inspect all the belts etc, but my dealer is about 100 miles from my home. You think anything will happen on the way down there, as far as the fluids etc… It has only been about 5 months and I had just changed the oil before I left, but do you think some messed up crap will happen to the gas or oil on the way down to the dealer?
My main concern is the wheels and paint. I left it garaged but you never know with the heat in my area. Also, what type of wheels should I get if there all messed up, looking for a good summer tire…
thanks