Struts.....

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2008 | 01:37 PM
Smokin

Struts.....

So, took my 03 TL-S into Acura to get front brakes done. They told me the right back Strut is torched and the left back one is going....First, does this seem a little weird that Struts would go out so quickly? The car is not even 6 years old....I was confused....

Secondly, what do you all suggest I do to remedy it? Should I buy after-market struts that are better? Where could I get a good deal for them? And, are struts all that important? I can't even tell something is wrong, even when I hit a bump....?

Thanks for the help....
Old 04-03-2008 | 01:46 PM
COTM Coordinator

Are you the original owner.... perhaps it was lowered on the stock shocks/struts and they blew out. Or one blew out. I have never heard of one being torched.... there are no flames back there.

If you dont plan on lowering you car then stock ones will be fine. however if you do plan on lowering it, then aftermarket would be best.
Old 04-03-2008 | 01:46 PM
Racer

struts are important yes. Are you looking for just an average stock type ride? i have KYB GR2's , I paid like 65 a piece for them at a local Advance Auto Parts. Nothing special, just loike when the car was new. Other people here have very nice setups that can go up to $1,000 depending on what you do (coilovers...)
Old 04-03-2008 | 02:13 PM
Porkchop Sandwiches!

Its not uncommon for struts to blow out after 6 years. Depends on where you drive. Bumpy roads = shocks die sooner.
Old 04-04-2008 | 09:54 AM
Suzuka Master

If you are not experiencing any clunking or abnormally harsh handling in the rear, get another opinion. Most shops will inspect this for free. Usually the fronts tend to wear first due to the weight and turning they are subjected to. It all depends on the kind of roads that you travel. Today's suspension and struts are usually good for the initial 5 years/100k under normal circumstances. If the struts are truly "torched", A simple DIY test would be to try pushing up and down by hand on the car's rear and watch if it continues to bounce after you quit pushing. My guess would be that if it bounces, then you're possibly up for new struts.
Old 04-04-2008 | 12:54 PM
B A N N E D

It's actually not that uncommon for shocks to go out depending on the way you drive and how the driving conditions are from where you reside and how many miles you currently have on the vehicle.

IMO if you dont have the money to replace them and cant hear or feel a diffrence you should be good for a while. And if you're looking to get OEM replacement shocks I'd suggest Tokico HP they're priced around $240 for front and rear
Old 04-04-2008 | 02:49 PM
Racer

www.oemacuraparts.com rears are like 75 each
Old 04-04-2008 | 08:38 PM
Pleasure Unit

OEM struts on just about any type of car are toast by 50k. Most people say no, but compare a 5k car to a 50k one and you will understand "the float" of worn out struts.
Old 04-06-2008 | 12:03 PM
Smokin

Thanks all for the help...I will look into it all. I just bought a house so struts are not on the top of my list.....
Old 04-06-2008 | 10:01 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Calilove4L
It's actually not that uncommon for shocks to go out depending on the way you drive and how the driving conditions are from where you reside and how many miles you currently have on the vehicle.

IMO if you dont have the money to replace them and cant hear or feel a diffrence you should be good for a while. And if you're looking to get OEM replacement shocks I'd suggest Tokico HP they're priced around $240 for front and rear
Another thing too........struts/shocks should be replaced in pairs, just to be safe. No sense in having to have the other one replaced later on down the line.
Old 04-07-2008 | 12:18 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by paul_huryk
OEM struts on just about any type of car are toast by 50k. Most people say no, but compare a 5k car to a 50k one and you will understand "the float" of worn out struts.
x2 , and it does not have to be leaked to be bad. it could become very sticky, it just wont go up nor down normally.