Strut, Sway ...???

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2003, 06:28 PM
Blood Type: S

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Strut, Sway ...???

Could someone give me some wisdom to what all of these bars do and what the difference is...strut bar, sway bar, etc. Locations, best kind, noticeably different, anything that may help. I say chrome Neuspeed bars, Titanium Comptech bars, which sound like they look nice which helps dress the car up even more.
Old 01-28-2003, 06:31 PM
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Strut bars are for upper and sways for lower. Such as Neuspeed is an upper strut bar going on top where your springs are at. The Comptech sways go in the rear and reinforce the lower parts of your car.

Struts are not entirely necessary because our cars have them stock, but the sways...ask anyone who has them if they regret purchasing them.

Also Cusco makes some bars too...if your interested...email me and I'll send you some pics.
Old 01-28-2003, 08:20 PM
Blown is Best

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Re: Strut, Sway ...???

Originally posted by EEPOWER
Could someone give me some wisdom to what all of these bars do and what the difference is...strut bar, sway bar, etc. Locations, best kind, noticeably different, anything that may help. I say chrome Neuspeed bars, Titanium Comptech bars, which sound like they look nice which helps dress the car up even more.
A Sway bar controls the amount that the car leans or sways by linking the left and right suspension together through the use of a bar. The larger the diameter of the bar, the stronger it is torsionally and creates a stronger link which keeps the car flatter. The concept is to keep the car as flat as possible to keep the tires in contact with the surface while still allowing the wheels to move to adjust to road surface variations. You can increase or decrease understeer and oversteer based upon the sizing of the sway bars.

Strut bars connect the upper/lower strut towers together to provide structural integrity and give the car more precise handling. Car chasis in general have a certain amount of flex. The Strut bars are intended to help ofset some of this flex and keep suspension components in position to work as designed.

Sway bars should be your pick before strut bars. Most people choose the Comptech set which produces a fairly neutral feel. Neuspeed may also be an option to consider. As far as I know Eiback has been on backorder on their sways for quite a while.

Sorry for the lengthy message - hope it helps.