Stripping Tint?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2004, 11:55 AM
WhizzBomb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stripping Tint?

Got busted for tint in MD (have 20, 33/35 is legal). Have to strip it. What's the best way to do it? I've heard spray ammonia, chill, then go at it with a razor. Any better ideas?

Thanks,

Joe

Old 03-03-2004, 12:05 PM
Smitty's Moral Police

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Stripping Tint?

Originally posted by Whizzbomb
Any better ideas?
Much. Get a black garbage bag, cut it to lay on your window almost as close as the tint. Spray the window (tint side) down with water and put the bag over it. Heat the window (In the summer you can leave it in the sun) with a hair dryer or something, get it nice and warm. The only reason you would need a razor is to get it started on the edge, then you can just peel it off. If it doesn't come right off, heat it again/more.
Old 03-03-2004, 12:14 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Re: Stripping Tint?

Originally posted by unlemming
Much. Get a black garbage bag, cut it to lay on your window almost as close as the tint. Spray the window (tint side) down with water and put the bag over it. Heat the window (In the summer you can leave it in the sun) with a hair dryer or something, get it nice and warm. The only reason you would need a razor is to get it started on the edge, then you can just peel it off. If it doesn't come right off, heat it again/more.
But isn't that compound that they usually spray on the window so the tint stays in place on there? Wouldn't it damage the window?
Old 03-03-2004, 01:44 PM
Advanced

Re: Stripping Tint?

O damn, where in MD? Bethesda?? Take it to a shop cuz you dont want to mess up your defroster lines. $$ to replace.

Originally posted by Whizzbomb
Got busted for tint in MD (have 20, 33/35 is legal). Have to strip it. What's the best way to do it? I've heard spray ammonia, chill, then go at it with a razor. Any better ideas?

Thanks,

Joe

Old 03-03-2004, 03:04 PM
Racer

sorry to hear that. i got two tickets for 20% tints past summer.
two tickets in one FUKCING MONTH!....hate va cops.
mine registered at 16% all the way around.

i took off the tints myself. glue sh!t was hard to take off...so i borrowed a mechanic's windshield sticker remover (razor blade mounts on a short stick). sprayed authentic HONDA windshield spray (friend of mine is a mechanic for Sheehy honda) and scraped the window...that was easy.

the rear window was b!tch... i sprayed honda window cleaner and scrubbed it with heavy duty sponge with hard scrubbing surface that i bought from home depot. can't use steel wool...or anything hard cause it will mess up the defroster line. the hard surfaced sponge was the best. but you have to scrub forever... i still haven't finished it yet. i think i'll scrub some more when the weather warms up a lil more.
Old 03-03-2004, 03:17 PM
WhizzBomb

Re: Re: Stripping Tint?

Originally posted by NaturalTLS
O damn, where in MD? Bethesda?? Take it to a shop cuz you dont want to mess up your defroster lines. $$ to replace.
Rockville actually. I was gonna stip the sides myself then let a shop handle the back. I just know I'd fcuk that up.

Thanks everyone!
Old 03-03-2004, 03:23 PM
Intermediate

15% all the way around 60% on the front window never a problem with the cops
Old 03-03-2004, 04:47 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by xclusivecc_TL
15% all the way around 60% on the front window never a problem with the cops
Yeah, in FL you can just about do a 5% job all the way around and not get touched, here in VA, anything over the legal limit is a "bored cop" magnet. My car came from FL and was tinted by Acura down there, so I'm hoping that if I ever get stopped, I can plea "It came that way from Acura."
Old 03-03-2004, 07:28 PM
Smitty's Moral Police

Re: Re: Re: Stripping Tint?

Originally posted by `ill*tl
But isn't that compound that they usually spray on the window so the tint stays in place on there? Wouldn't it damage the window?
They don't spray any compound on the window, the tint has it's own adhesive. But, to answer your question, no. I'm not sure about the rear window with it's defroster/antennae stuff, but for the side windows this method works like a charm. Literally peels off.
Old 03-03-2004, 11:00 PM
Acura TLS are SLOW

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
Do what unlemming said, but the trash bag works with the back window aswell. Instead of using other glass cleaners, Use Simple Green. Spray Simple Green on top of the tint and lay the trash bag over the tint so the simple green is between the tint itself and the trash bag. Oh and leave ur car in the sun w/temps greater than 70 degrees for 20 mins. No shop will guarantee that some of the defroster line wont come off
Old 03-04-2004, 01:06 AM
Banned

Just to let you guys know... I dont know how it works in other states but in NY... I got three of these tickets.. .one of them on my Camry, 2 of them on my Accord... dont own ne of the cars ne more but... when I got the tickets... I just had to pay the fine. I know it tells you that u have to remove the tints.. but no one is going to check, I just had to fill in the form and mail in the fine.. i think it was like 40 dollars, cuz it fell under a equiptment violation. So I suggest you look into that before stressing urself with removing the tints. You have to pay the fine no matter what, removing it or without removing it. They try to scare you with the ticket and make you blieve that you have to remove it.. it isnt true.. atleast here in NY.
Old 03-04-2004, 03:19 AM
Instructor

You did something else for them to write you a citation for the tint. Was it Rockville City or County Police? Did you just get a citation or a Repair Order? If its just a fine, you can just pay it and quit speeding/blaring your radio or whatever else probably attracted the officer to your vehicle. If it is a repair order, well then yea you need to remove it. Good luck.
Old 03-04-2004, 06:55 AM
GO TIME

don't even worry about it, unless you live in a small town where he could possibly see you again. Cuz if your in the city then don't strain over it because my friends has been warned 3x and nothing has happened and he has a yellow mustang
Old 03-04-2004, 07:21 AM
WhizzBomb

Originally posted by unbeknownst
You did something else for them to write you a citation for the tint. Was it Rockville City or County Police? Did you just get a citation or a Repair Order? If its just a fine, you can just pay it and quit speeding/blaring your radio or whatever else probably attracted the officer to your vehicle. If it is a repair order, well then yea you need to remove it. Good luck.
In this case it was a speeding ticket issued by a state trooper with. I could have gotten a $55 fine but instead got the repair order (which needs do be reinspected by either DMV for the light meter or at the barracks if I strip it).

My understanding is in MD you can't get pulled over just for tints, it can only be looked at if your already pulled over. However about 6 years ago in a different car I was pulled over by a Mont. County cop just shy of the DC line and he said it was solely for my tint looking too dark. I wasn't going to argue with him.

Thanks,

Joe