strange sound after rev'ing

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2003, 09:53 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question strange sound after rev'ing

i went in to get an oil change yesterday (EZLube). of course, the guy tells me other things should be changed (tranny fluid, fuel injectors, etc.) He shows me; I agree (I looked at the tranny fluid - it was brown). I have 33K miles (never really did any "major" service).

anyways, cutting to the chase, i get my car back after about 1/2 hr. i drive away, and as soon as i pull out, the car dies on me. i start it again, where it shudders before starting fully. i drive in to a ralphs parking lot where it dies on me again. i know it's not the battery, so i start it again, rev'ing it.

i continue to idle the car, rev'ing it. i bring it back to ezlube, and tell them what happened. i also noticed that there was a funny sound when i rev'ed high (into the 4,000 rpm range). after the rev, there was a 'whizzing' sound, kinda like a vacuum sound.

the mechanic said it could be that after they cleaned the fuel injectors, something might have pooled in to some place, causing the sound, but that it would go away. they said something to the effect something about PCB. i have no idea what they were talking about but told them i would wait a couple days, and if there was a problem, i'd bring it back.

is this something i should be worried about? can anyone relate or tell me what the problem & solution is?

thanks much.
Old 06-24-2003, 11:54 PM
Racer

Don't really know what they meant by PCB ???? But...
You sure they put HONDA ATF in it ....
Old 06-25-2003, 12:02 AM
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Don't take your car to EZ-lube anymore...

I'd only trust Acura techs on my Type S... call me stupid if you want .. but they do this **** everyday on the same cars day in day out .. they know how to trouble-shoot anything ..
Old 06-25-2003, 02:14 AM
Instructor

Brown tranny fluid at 33K....how do you drive you car?
Old 06-25-2003, 11:24 AM
Cruisin'

Agree with Peter....dont ever take an Acura to those places...98 Taurus...01 Chevy malibu...yes ok...
Old 06-25-2003, 11:35 AM
Burning Brakes

"Brown tranny fluid at 33K....how do you drive you car?"

mine turned brown in the 1st 15k miles after the new tranny. somewhat aggresive driving style
Old 06-25-2003, 11:46 AM
Papa Bear

Originally posted by TLS RULZ
But...You sure they put HONDA ATF in it ....
With the tranny issue still around, I would not use any ATF except Honda's. Who knows, they might come back and say that some third party's ATF that was used caused the failure.
Old 06-26-2003, 02:38 AM
Pro

Sorry to report that the tranny fluid is brown at any interval that you wish to check it. I change mine every 5K with the oil and it has been brown every time!

so far no troubles with it, but I'm sure it's a worthless tranny just waiting to fail on me at the worst possible moment...

and YES, don't take your car to those loser quickie lube joints. You can train any idiot to unscrew a drain plug and stand under it... but to really know what you're working on, you need to be a real mechanic at a real shop.
Old 06-26-2003, 12:25 PM
Advanced

thanks for all the comments. i used to take mine to the acura dealer, but i've recently moved, and it is a little out of the way to go to the dealer. that's the only reason why i've been using ez-lube.

but next time out, definitely gonna make an appt. at the dealer.

so, no one else has that funny sound after rev'ing up to 4k rpm's, huh?

mine is making a funny whizzing sound after the rev comes down. like a vacuum sound
Old 06-26-2003, 02:38 PM
Team Owner

Received 2,057 Likes on 1,142 Posts
That's another reason I have never changed tranny fluid in any of my cars. I know you guys preach it but I never do it. Strange things happen.

Last car had 135k (chevy) on orginal tranny fluid. Shifted like brand new when I got rid of it (although the rest of the car was falling apart). Max has 80k on original fluid and still shifts like new.

Please don't do what I do though. I don't want anyone b1tching to me when they get to 50k and their tranny melts.
Old 06-26-2003, 04:55 PM
Advanced

Originally posted by TLS RULZ
Don't really know what they meant by PCB ???? But...
You sure they put HONDA ATF in it ....
He probably meant "PCV valve". Positive Crankcase Ventilation valve.

Positive Crankcase Ventilation is a system that was developed to remove harmful vapors from the engine and to prevent those vapors from being expelled into the atmosphere. The PCV system does this by using manifold vacuum to draw vapors from the crankcase into the intake manifold. Vapor is then carried with the fuel/air mixture into the combustion chambers where it is burned. The flow or circulation within the system is controlled by the PCV Valve. The PCV Valve is effective as both a crankcase ventilation system and as a pollution control device.