Stolen Monday... then recovered, and... !!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2014, 12:47 AM
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Stolen Monday... then recovered, and... !!!!!!!!

So the other day at 4pm the TLS was stolen. I had the keys when I got out of the car in a good area of downtown. Parked on the street right outside the restaurant where I hung out with the local corporate dudes for a couple of hours. Came outside and noticed my keys were not in my pockets and the car was G-O-N-E. I must have dropped them on the busy street, sidewalk, or left them in the restroom.

So, after the JERK insurance people accused me of stealing my own car, and sending blanket waivers for my cell phone records and credit cards, plus asking for the names of numbers of my friends. I started to get ticked off. They grilled me for an hour and 20 minutes and asked if I stole my car in 7 different ways, and all kinds of personal information that I am sure they will try to use against me. So now they will be dealing with a $600 an hour pit-bull lawyer who happens to be a good buddy. FYI, I've have no arrests ever, I never been involved in a lawsuit, and I have no debt. I have have had this policy for 20 years without a claim. Shame on them.

Tonight at 11pm my phone starts ringing with strange numbers. It's the cops. They found the car. Jump into my buddy's car with him and we head out. It's raining and dark. I initially just looked at the body and it seemed ok, but then realized, my 17" TLS rims were replaced with totally beat up worn out, honda stuff, obviously my 4 new tires are gone (just had those done a month ago), and the brake calipers do not look right, I think they ripped my brakes out too and put in junk. And the morons ripped out the center console box off its hinges, why I have no clue. Cigarette smell too.

So this thing is locked, alarm is set and some chicks stuff is in the back like she's using it. The seat was so close to the wheel it must have been a 5' tall girl at tallest. Mind you, my plates are still on the car. There's a nationwide alert on those plates

So he wrote up the parts and reported that it needs further inspection. He also had me take pictures of a pile of tires, and other stuff discarded on the grass right there. Not my stuff, but other automotive detritus from these jerk-@@$$.

So, what are my rims worth? 4 new Toyo tires are going to be $800 with alignment(cop reported). I need to have the brakes looked at. What are those worth? The brakes feel different and car feels a bit rough. Of course bald tires don't help. He also left it open to report anything else I discover. And how do I know they didn't beat the crap out of the tranny and everything else? At least the original engine is in there(I think).

Cop said insurance will now say those junk parts were on the car from when I still had it, and not to take any crap from them at all. Also Pit-Bull lawyer time. I think I am going to let the lawyer report the recovery on Monday and have it checked with my mechanic.

Thoughts? Damages? A friggin' shame. We all know how much money I spent on this car in repairs and maintenance too, because I was always griping about it. Still loved it though.

Last edited by Johnny2003TL-S; 04-12-2014 at 12:56 AM.
Old 04-12-2014, 05:25 AM

Received 16,263 Likes on 11,973 Posts
wow! what a story.

Stick to your guns and your pitbull of a lawyer friend. ask for full replacement of parts.
Old 04-12-2014, 11:45 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 784 Likes on 743 Posts
At unfortunate times like this, it's good to have a "Pit Bull" lawyer friend in your corner.
If ya have previous pics of your TLS.....it'll help. Any documentation and receipts will also help and be beneficial to validate your claim.

Also, any personal inconvenience......besides the stolen items need to be compensated for. Things like loss of use, time involved, and any unforeseen damages which may surface later. Once the case is resolved and settled, look for another insurance co.
The following users liked this post:
Johnny2003TL-S (04-12-2014)
Old 04-12-2014, 03:17 PM
Advanced

Yep, a shame. You never really realize what crime like this does to people, until it happens to you. The person did not gain much, and I lost a lot, potentially. Also, this has been very stressful. But things could be much worse.
Old 04-12-2014, 06:16 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 784 Likes on 743 Posts
Yeah, they could've went joyriding.....pulled off a bank heist and then torched the car.
Then the insurance co. would've just taken the easy way out by totalling the car at wholesale value.
Old 04-12-2014, 06:59 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 101 Likes on 88 Posts
What a nightmare. Good luck man.
Old 04-12-2014, 08:22 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 106 Likes on 97 Posts
That really sucks. Like you have been personally violated. I had cars broken into years ago win just small stuff taken but it still felt lousy. You never know how they drove it too. How many miles did they put on? You always have to figure they likely beat the snot out of it which sucks
Old 04-13-2014, 01:50 PM
Advanced

Yeah I'm most likely going to unload it at a sale price soon. Lots of people in the local city love those cars and can work on them. In the mean time cheapest wheels I can put on that car? Insurance is going to be a long process.