stole my airbag... need help!

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2009, 02:42 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
stole my airbag... need help!

My airbag was stolen out of my car in the Rego Park area in NYC. It was about 1 am when they stole it. They broke my driver side window and took my airbag. It was pretty clean but I am missing a piece that connects the airbag to the steering wheel. Does anyone know which part that is? That is the only issue that I am having when installing the airbag.

I have a 2003 TL.. please help! Thanks everyone!
Old 12-27-2009, 03:48 PM
B A N N E D

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by viziony
My airbag was stolen out of my car in the Rego Park area in NYC. It was about 1 am when they stole it. They broke my driver side window and took my airbag. It was pretty clean but I am missing a piece that connects the airbag to the steering wheel. Does anyone know which part that is? That is the only issue that I am having when installing the airbag.

I have a 2003 TL.. please help! Thanks everyone!
that sucks, and it is not a cheap part ethier

depending on the damage you might need a new clock spring (it is which allows the steering wheel to turn, and have everything electrical on the wheel still be connected 100% of the time), and i would not try repairing it at all especially with it dealing with the airbag (i would proably try to fix it, if it was for the cruise control or something, but not the airbag)

so where did you get the "new" airbag (just woundering, cause every one of them does have a unique serial number to them (like the VIN), so they can be tracked (hopefully)

and give me a sec and i will get a diagram for it
Old 12-27-2009, 03:52 PM
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
oh man that sucks. I hope everything works out.
Old 12-27-2009, 04:02 PM
B A N N E D

http://www.hondapartsunlimited.com/i...STEERING WHEEL

http://www.hondapartsunlimited.com/i...INATION SWITCH

it looks to be part #22, but i can't seem to click on it in the links above, only #9, but they say #9 is only like $12 though, so IDK

and i think the dealer should understand what you mean when you say "i need a clockspring for the steering wheel"

and why it is called a clockspring; think about how a "clockspring" looks inside a clock; where it is wrapped around itself many times and you can turn it many times whithout it binding up (just instead of metal, it is wire)

Last edited by friesm2000; 12-27-2009 at 04:07 PM.
Old 12-27-2009, 05:11 PM
4th Gear

Clocksprings are a pain - Had to rewind a few. I would try the junkyard - bummer in the airbag
Old 12-28-2009, 03:21 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
airbags contain EXPLOSIVES that can maim or kill you-
If not trained in them- let a bodyshop do the install
Old 12-28-2009, 03:51 AM
Intermediate

Who steals airbags? that seems a little strange...
Old 12-28-2009, 10:52 AM
Team Owner

crooks steal them!
they are worth big dollars to disreputable body shops and places fixing salvage title cars and retitling them

Some people have found nothing more than newspaper and tennis shoes inside the airbag on those types of deals~
Old 12-28-2009, 05:58 PM
B A N N E D

Originally Posted by 01tl4tl
airbags contain EXPLOSIVES that can maim or kill you-
If not trained in them- let a bodyshop do the install
forgot to mention that too

Originally Posted by NoShine
Who steals airbags? that seems a little strange...
assholes do, strange not really people want the easy money

you shoud see the HID headlights off of a nissan maxima, there like $1000 per side from the dealer, and i know they are one of the easier headlights to steal too

or try when people steal catlaic (sp?) converters (cat), cause they can get like $100 for the precious metals inside and on some vehicles extremely easy to steal, take an exhaust pipe cutter, crawl underneth (can be a busy parking lot too, cause no one will see you underneth, and the cutter is quiet too), and on some cars they can be like $1000 just for the cat itself

crooks steal them!
they are worth big dollars to disreputable body shops and places fixing salvage title cars and retitling them

Some people have found nothing more than newspaper and tennis shoes inside the airbag on those types of deals~
x2
Old 12-28-2009, 06:17 PM
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 49 Posts
Hey, sorry to hear about your lost.

It is funny we are talking about dangerous to work with airbags, and crooks are taking them like eating cake. It would be nice the airbag had popped and bruise their faces.
Old 12-28-2009, 06:21 PM
2011 ZCP E92 M3!!

that sucks man will ur insurance fix it?
Old 12-28-2009, 06:26 PM
Quality not quantity in

So I guess stealing radios is no longer the trend? the modern generation of scumbags gotta steal your headlights, your catalytic converters, and airbags too, eh?

really sorry to hear about the breakin! did they break your window to get in, or pry open the door somehow? im assuming they first got into the engine bay to disconnect the battery, or else i'm sure it would have gone off when they tried to remove it..01tl4tl is right that it contains an explosive and is potentially dangerous (its extremely tricky just to mail one of those darn things), but they are pretty durable and not THAT volatile. just don't store it "face down" and try to ground yourself before picking it up at any point during installation. yes and make sure your wires weren't damaged..this might be tricky since contacts may have come loose from somewhere you can't see. you definetly wouldn't want a short to happen at the airbag tho!

overall tho, its definitely something for the average DIY'er. you shoulda taken the opportunity tho to buy the sleek 3 spoke wheel in an RSX, its direct bolt up.
Old 12-28-2009, 06:51 PM
B A N N E D

Originally Posted by artistotle
So I guess stealing radios is no longer the trend? the modern generation of scumbags gotta steal your headlights, your catalytic converters, and airbags too, eh?

really sorry to hear about the breakin! did they break your window to get in, or pry open the door somehow? im assuming they first got into the engine bay to disconnect the battery, or else i'm sure it would have gone off when they tried to remove it..01tl4tl is right that it contains an explosive and is potentially dangerous (its extremely tricky just to mail one of those darn things), but they are pretty durable and not THAT volatile. just don't store it "face down" and try to ground yourself before picking it up at any point during installation. yes and make sure your wires weren't damaged..this might be tricky since contacts may have come loose from somewhere you can't see. you definetly wouldn't want a short to happen at the airbag tho!

overall tho, its definitely something for the average DIY'er. you shoulda taken the opportunity tho to buy the sleek 3 spoke wheel in an RSX, its direct bolt up.
they geneally will not go off if you just disconnect the wiring to it, but it makes it ALOT SAFER to disconnect the battery and let the system discharge itself before disconnecting the wiring

airbags should NEVER be "faced down" (Acura emblem should be always up), let alone place anything on top of it, cause if it did accidently go off, it would become a projectile

normal DIY'er not really, more like advanced, it is not the safeist thing to be doing and SCREW UPS CAN BE DEADLY,
and switching to a rsx wheel, would be nice too

and for the wire being damaged, if any are, just replace them, and DO NOT try to repair them, they gotta work when they gotta work (aka: accident), and the SRS computer can be extremely sensitive to those repairs too, and throw a light
Old 12-28-2009, 06:59 PM
Quality not quantity in

^Yup i'm glad we agree!

I guess it all depends on where you draw the line between being an advanced or a beginner do it yourselfer. I can provide a link to the OEM factory manual guide on how to remove the airbag and steering wheel out of cars of this generation. I drive a 6th gen honda accord coupe (v6 motor) and i was able to sell my stock airbag for 100 bucks, the steering wheel and controls for 50, and bought an RSX wheel and airbag for 175 shipped on the RSX forums..i'm a happy camper :-D

Though I suppose i would have been happier with the airbag from 7th gen civic..it looks the same as the RSX wheel but with a honda emblem..but oh well! couldn't pass up the deal!
Old 12-28-2009, 07:46 PM
Team Owner

for a skilled tech- DIY
for needs help with seafoam- let a shop do it

Saw a tv show where junkyard owners explode an airbag with a pile of stuff on top of it (in garbage can) Seemed to explode much more than they expected- and they claim to do this weekly~
Old 12-28-2009, 07:57 PM
Quality not quantity in

ok ok then you guys have to watch this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AAN0WfJfNq0

these guys do a prank where they triggered an airbag while somebody was unsuspectingly sitting on it... the victim does drop an F-bomb so its not exactly SFW
Old 12-28-2009, 09:14 PM
B A N N E D

for a skilled tech- DIY
for needs help with seafoam- let a shop do it

Saw a tv show where junkyard owners explode an airbag with a pile of stuff on top of it (in garbage can) Seemed to explode much more than they expected- and they claim to do this weekly~
yeah i was going to add that afterward, but went to dinner

and yeah airbags are NOT something to be screwing around with, or just learning on

really only way to properly disable them, with it being in a (more) controlled enviroment, and if it is was more then they expected, i don't think they would have been doing it weekly

ok ok then you guys have to watch this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AAN0WfJfNq0

these guys do a prank where they triggered an airbag while somebody was unsuspectingly sitting on it... the victim does drop an F-bomb so its not exactly SFW
, but very dangouris (sp?) (could have hit the ceiling if he was lighter [broken neck any one], or smashed his head on the coffe table), it just shows you the power behind them
Old 12-28-2009, 09:34 PM
2000 acura tl FPR

Received 58 Likes on 50 Posts

i was watching a vid on youtube, probably the same junkyard guys the person was talking about earlier, they were making things into projectiles, but in the end of the video, a guy sat directly on top of it, and it exploded, turned out he really hurt his back from it. not so smart.
Old 12-29-2009, 01:01 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
When I was attending UTI, we blew up a couple air bags for fun in lab.. was pretty fun!