stock security system

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2001, 07:14 AM

Post stock security system

can somone tell me how good it the factory security system? should i buy an alarm?
Old 03-08-2001, 10:26 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can I make a shoe stink? In other words, hell yeah! -- mine came without an aftermarket alarm and I put one on ASAP. It's worth it with all the crackheads in the world today.
Old 03-08-2001, 12:10 PM
Pro

It's not a factory alarm. Its only a remote door opener. My advice get an alarm right away.
Old 03-08-2001, 03:19 PM
Instructor

What do you mean it's just a remote door opener? Isn't there an engine immobolizer with the stock system?

Or are you really saying that the stock alarm is so easy to bypass that it doesn't afford much protection?

What do you all recommend? What are the key features of a good aftermarket alarm that are missing from the stock alarm? My dealer tried to sell me LoJack for close to $600, but I turned it down.

DA
Old 03-08-2001, 03:35 PM
Pro

Cool

definately go buy an aftermarket alarm...i'd go Clifford...

------------------
1996 2.5 TL Dark Green
HKS Powerflow, HKS Fuel Pressure Regulator, Sebring Exhaust, Jacobs Pro Street, Apex-i AFC, Jet ECU, Powerslot Rotors, Axxis Metal Master Pads, PIAA 1100x, Clarion 9255, Tube Driver Amps, Boston Pro 10's (2) , CD Technologies 6-4-2, Clarion MVA6491 (3), Valentine 1, Cliford Avant Guard 4, Monster Capacitors (2), Jacobs Accuvolt, Trunk and Underdash Neons...
[URL=http://albums.photopoint.com/j/]AlbumIndex?u=1530721&a=11664800&f=0][url]
Old 03-08-2001, 04:04 PM
Banned

Clifford's are good alarms indeed. I heard that Clifford's aren't being made anymore -- or was it that they were just bought out? Anyone??? Check consumer reports for un unbiased review of the major brands. Remember that Lo-Jack is not an alarm, but a way for the po-po's to find your TL after it's been stolen. From what I hear, Lo-Jack works well, but you have to pay quite a bit upfront. Either way, get an alarm for your baby ASAP.

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">[This message has been edited by Polyman on March 08, 2001 @ ]</font>

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">[This message has been edited by Polyman on March 08, 2001 @ ]</font>
Old 03-08-2001, 07:17 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The system in the TL is what Acura calls a Theft-Deterent System. The horn will honk if the door is opened. This will sound if system is not disarmed with remote.The remote also has a panic feature.The car also has an immobilizer-ignition system /program coded key. Clifford was purchased by DEI & are still sold. Here is DEI site just click on Clifford. www.directed.com Here is also another site to my Clifford installer that tells you some more about the Clifford just click auto security www.12voltdc.com The TL stock system does not have stuff like glass breakage or motion sensors.It also probaly does not have anti-code grabing to prevent someone from copying your remote.

------------------
2000 3.2TL Nighthawk Black/Ebony/Navigation/ Optional Factory Chrome Multi Spoke 16" Wheels/Factory Underbody Kit/Factory Spoiler/Moonroof Visor/Factory 6-CD Changer/Trunk Mat/Factory Black Wheel Well Trim/Clifford IG8000 Alarm System w/add-ons/%51 Tint/Weathertech Floormats /Michelin Arcctic Alpin Winter Tires on Stock Wheels/Factory Car Cover/Factory Gold Emblems Grille & Exhaust Tips
Old 03-09-2001, 05:48 AM
Burning Brakes

you're right: no anti-code grabbing in our stock alarms.

------------------
'01 TL with Navi
Naples Gold Metallic
Everything is stock for the moment
except for a big plush teddy bear in the back seat.
Old 03-09-2001, 09:12 AM
Instructor

Originally posted by FTM-1:
The system in the TL is what Acura calls a Theft-Deterent System. The horn will honk if the door is opened. This will sound if system is not disarmed with remote.The remote also has a panic feature.The car also has an immobilizer-ignition system /program coded key. ...The TL stock system does not have stuff like glass breakage or motion sensors. It also probaly does not have anti-code grabing to prevent someone from copying your remote.

FTM1, Thanks for the clarification. I guess I'm not too concerned about glass breakage and motion sensors, b/c if someone wants to either crack my windows or bump/move my TL, they would have already done so before the alarm sounds, and having an alarm sound after the fact does me no good.

The big concern for me is whether the stock engine immobilizer/programmed key system can stop someone from driving away with my car when they don't have my keys. To put it another way, the average joyrider is unlikely to be able to start up my car without my coded keys, right? because of the ignition kill? I'm not so concerned about professionals, b/c if they want to steal it, they probably can figure it out no matter what alarm you have.

As for the code grabbing, am I correct in saying that someone with my code can only open the doors/trunk to my car (and presumably tear it apart including popping the hood), but still can't drive it away without the keys? Haha, I guess I'll just end up with the body with all my parts stripped. But seriously, don't get me wrong cause it would suck if someone did something to my car, but in the end, I think an alarm can only do so much...so perhaps the best thing is to use your judgement about where you park.

DA
Old 03-09-2001, 09:29 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,080 Likes on 661 Posts
Originally posted by Devil's Advocate:
To put it another way, the average joyrider is unlikely to be able to start up my car without my coded keys, right?
Yeah, you would think so. But from what I've heard and read, anyone that gets their hands on the Helm manual, can disable the immobilizer pretty easily. But yes, the novice joyrider will probably either give up, or worse get so pissed off that they can't steal your car, that they torch it.

Just come to North Philly some time.

------------------
1999 Satin Silver Metallic 3.2 TL w/o Navigation
  • 18x8 Racing Hart C2s with 225/40ZR18 Dunlop SP Sport 9000
  • Comptech Springs, Sways, Exhaust, and Headers
  • Red AEM CAI w/bypass valve
  • A'PEXi Digital VTEC AFC
  • Factory Underbody Kit and Spoiler
  • Clifford Intelliguard 9000 Alarm
  • Alpine 6 disk CD Changer
  • BEL 945i Cordless Radar Detector
  • Burlwood Shift Knob & Trunk Tray
  • 20% tint
Mugen Grill on order
Old 03-09-2001, 03:31 PM

I would suggest VIPER. I used to have clifford and did not like it cause I got a ticket. And also to start you have to move little bit close to the car where as VIPER I can do it from 100 or 150 feet. I am not a professional in autos but it's just my experience.
Old 03-09-2001, 03:45 PM
Racer

Hey I asked for a simular survey back then. From the response, I say the stock alarm is doing it's job. I ask whether anyone got their car broken into AND had their car stolen. No one responded, except that someone got their car broken into, but not stolen. Even a good alarm can't prevent a theif from attempting to break in. What you need is some visual deterent.
Old 03-09-2001, 04:15 PM
Banned

Originally posted by thaitea:
Even a good alarm can't prevent a theif from attempting to break in. What you need is some visual deterent.
I assume a Club-like device or something similar is what you are referring to. All I can say about the Club is that everyone I've known to have one on their car has never had there car broken into, much less stolen. I'll be honest -- I have one on my TL (H-town is ruthless). Plus, you can beat the hell out of someone with it if need be.

Old 03-09-2001, 04:32 PM
Instructor

Visual deterrent is certainly a key factor in keeping the thieves at bay. Just curious if there's anyone here who doesn't use a club.... I have one of those that latch onto the steering wheel on one end, and the brake pedal at the bottom end. I've seen some cars parked in Jersey City with 3 clubs on them - it's really sort of funny and sad at the same time.

DA
Old 03-10-2001, 01:01 PM

My dealer sold me the window etching on my car. They didn't have Lojack for Honda/Acura.

Regarding the circuitry in the keys, do you think that with normal wear and tear/everyday abuse, one will have to get the keys redone every so many years? How do you all keep your keys on your key ring so that there is minimal wear on the keys?

------------------
Old 03-10-2001, 01:37 PM

Talking

What do you mean they dont have LoJAck on Honda/Acura. I have a 97 Accord with Lo-Jack Type IV - which is the vehicle recovery and a full featured alarm. I dont really understand what the dealer told you. Plus Lo-Jack can be installed in anything and usually is done by Lo_jack themselves even if you buy it through the dealership.. they don't tell you where the vehicle locator module is thus you can't commit insurance fraud by parking your car somewhere and then claiming it got stolen.. Which is pretty reasonable if you ask me.. But hint hint.. look somewhere near the place they install CD changers in the trunks.. take apart the carpeting on the sides and you may find a surprise for all those LoJack owners out there.
Old 03-10-2001, 02:34 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by olgster:
My dealer sold me the window etching on my car. They didn't have Lojack for Honda/Acura.

Regarding the circuitry in the keys, do you think that with normal wear and tear/everyday abuse, one will have to get the keys redone every so many years? How do you all keep your keys on your key ring so that there is minimal wear on the keys?

The coded part for the key is in the plastic part. We should not let the key come in contact with water.I don't mean like rain but spilling water on it.Also try not to drop it or put heavy objects on it.Itry to switch keys every 2 months along with my remote.I also don't carry a bunch of other keys on the ring it may interfer with the immobilizer.

------------------
2000 3.2TL Nighthawk Black/Ebony/Navigation/ Optional Factory Chrome Multi Spoke 16" Wheels/Factory Underbody Kit/Factory Spoiler/Moonroof Visor/Factory 6-CD Changer/Trunk Mat/Factory Black Wheel Well Trim/Clifford IG8000 Alarm System w/add-ons/%51 Tint/Weathertech Floormats /Michelin Arcctic Alpin Winter Tires on Stock Wheels/Factory Car Cover/Factory Gold Emblems Grille & Exhaust Tips
Old 03-10-2001, 07:08 PM

What I meant was that when I purchased the car, they did not offer it at that dealership - they sell Acura/Infinity/Lexus/Volvo there. The guy said that they didn't offer Lojack on the Acuras, but noted that the Toyota dealer down the road offered it.
Old 03-11-2001, 12:39 AM
Instructor

For a "visual deterrent", what do you guys think of proximity sensors... the ones that beep when youre too close to the car? I'm thinking of getting one of those.
Old 03-11-2001, 05:18 AM
Safety Car

Originally posted by Devil's Advocate:
I guess I'm not too concerned about glass breakage and motion sensors, b/c if someone wants to either crack my windows or bump/move my TL, they would have already done so before the alarm sounds, and having an alarm sound after the fact does me no good.
A motion sensor will go off if it senses a person through the window - it chirps 5 times at (optionally with my alarm anyway) 8db less than the full alarm going off. Hopefully making them know the alarm is going off without a doubt if they mess with it.

Don't bother with a glass sensor, it monitors the sound levels for the sound of breaking glass. Just get a shock sensor and it'll go off if someone bumps your car hard enough - this includes breaking a window or (hopefully on this one - gonna try it when I get rims especially with super crystal lugs ) breaking the lug nuts free.

------------------
2001 Silver TL, non-navi, Inspire tails & wood steering wheel, 2 burlwood dash kits & shift knob, TL-S passenger vent trim, Alumapro BP-10 & ZX400TI Phoenix Gold, Python 1500 ESP (remote start, all windows up & down, sunroof closes, prox, etc), factory spoiler & body kit, AEM short ram intake, blue alarm LEDs, Mugen grill, Comptech sways & springs.

On order: 19" Alstadt IVs, 225/35ZR19 Nitto 555s, SuperCrystal lugs, custom gauges.

Nate's ride
------------------
"Every man dies, not every man lives."
Old 03-12-2001, 10:06 AM
Racer

Originally posted by cHocoBo118:
For a "visual deterrent", what do you guys think of proximity sensors... the ones that beep when youre too close to the car? I'm thinking of getting one of those.
Beeping is ok...but the annoying one that says "step away from the vehicle"...those cars deserve to be keyed hehehe
Old 01-24-2002, 07:15 AM
Instructor

Exclamation ALARM UPGRADE

I HAVE A 99TL WITH FACTORY REMOTES, I UPGRADED TO A HORNET (VIPER) USING THE FACTORY SYSTEM AS A SLAVE. I HAVE SHOCK SENSORS, MOTION SENSORS, REMOTE START, DOORS LOCK AND UNLOCK, WINDOWS ROLL UP. ITS JUST AN ADD-ON TO THE FACTORY ALARM. YOU REALLY HAVE TO TAKE IT TO A SHOP WHO KNOW WHAT THEY DOING CUZ THE DOOR PANELS HAVE TO COME OFF ON ALL DOORS.
Old 01-24-2002, 08:53 AM
Moo
Pro

It all depends on the area you live in and the places you go to.

Our stock factory alarm sux. I undrestand that the only way the alarm will go off is if you open the door. Someone could be jumping all over the hood or smashing your windows, and it still won't go off. I live in a decent area, but I drive down to NYC alot. That was the one reason I decided on getting a Clifford. It's one of the best investments I ever made....I feel alot more secure with it.
Old 01-24-2002, 09:00 AM
Moo
Pro

Originally posted by cHocoBo118
I was considering a proximity sensor as well. But this can get very annoying if you set it to a very sensitive level. I use to have the sensitivity level of my motion sensor set to max. Everytime a car or a truck would drive by the warnng alarm would go off. This was annoying as hell, both to me as well as to anyone near the car.
Old 01-24-2002, 11:44 AM
Instructor

ALARM

WELL THATS TRUE, I LIVE ON LONG ISLAND AND I DRIVE OUT TO BROOKLYN, QUEENS AND STATEN ISLAND ALL THE TIME. THE PROX. SENSOR CAN BE TURNED ON AND OF WITH THE REMOTE. IM SURE THE MANUAL EXPLAINS HOW.
Old 01-24-2002, 12:40 PM
Instructor

The club is a deterent for the joy rider but certainly not for the professional thief. I stopped using the club years ago when I found just how ineffective it really is. Kill switches are a good way to go in order to keep your vehicle from being stolen. I suggest three. A good thief will find one kill switch. An exceptional thief will find two kill switches. It's gonna take a miracle worker to find three of them.
Old 01-24-2002, 02:47 PM
Instructor

Lightbulb ANTI-THEFT

THE BEST IS TO WIRE THE POWER OT THE CAR'S COMPUTER TO THE ALARM. THIS MEANS GETTING RID OF THE FACTORY SYSTEM ALL TOGETHER. IT REALLY EASY. MAYBE SOME OF YOU DON'T NEED THAT, BUT I BET NO THEIF WITH-OUT A FLATBED WILL TAKE YOUR CAR.
Old 01-24-2002, 03:11 PM
Pro

I have a Python security system in my car. Its yellow and 20 some feet long. Oh, and my VR4 also has a Viper.
Old 01-24-2002, 03:13 PM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,154 Likes on 825 Posts
Originally posted by Moo

I was considering a proximity sensor as well. But this can get very annoying if you set it to a very sensitive level. I use to have the sensitivity level of my motion sensor set to max. Everytime a car or a truck would drive by the warnng alarm would go off. This was annoying as hell, both to me as well as to anyone near the car.
I had a radar type proximity sensor installed in my previous car. It's a pain to use. Whenever a cop car, that had the dash or ceiling mount radar gun turned on, drove by my car, it would set off the proximity sensor. In addition, I had to put in a relay to switch off the sensor when I'm driving, so that the emitted radar waves won't interfere with my Bel radar detector.