SRS light, warranty or not?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2009, 12:06 PM
is out, so the

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
SRS light, warranty or not?

My SRS light has been on for about a year now. I just read the other day that with the light on, the airbags do not work. That's not good, so I called the Acura dealership.

The closest dealership is 90 miles away. They told me that they would look at it, and if it is the recall issue, it will be covered under warranty. But if its not, I will be charged a $109.99 diagnostic charge. Then I will have to pay for them to fix whatever it could be.

My car is under the 10 year, 150,000 mile warranty. I don't hear of SRS systems failing often, so most likely it is the recall issue. I just don't want to drive all the way down there, and then get slapped in the face with a $109.99 bill.

So what is the chance its not the recall issue?
Old 02-15-2009, 12:24 PM
Pro

go to a mechanic shop not the dealer. my srs light comes on periodically and for me its always an code error. my mechanic will look at it everytime, reset it, and charge me nothing because he didn't really do anything. All they do is plug ur car into a computer an hit a few buttons. 110 bucks is notttttttt worth it!!
Old 02-15-2009, 12:38 PM
is out, so the

They are only charging me $109.99 if its not the recall issue. If it is, they will fix it for free and under warranty. I just don't want to get down there, and its not the recall issue like we thought, and we get charged...
Old 02-15-2009, 01:34 PM
Scooby doobie crusin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
when i had my trans replaced acura called me like your srs is on i told em just to clear it if it comes back on to just leave it and hes like its gunna me 99 to tell you what it is im like fuck that just clear it... he calls me back a couple hours later like its your passenger side, side air bag control unit, which i believe is pretty pricey so im like FML right lol he tells me they replaced it under warranty???? which i have no dealer warranty and at 105k??? maybe its the same thing
Old 02-15-2009, 02:55 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
the SRS has a special 10/150, it covers in 99.99% of the times,, of what causes the red airbag SRS light

IF- you did any type electrical work on the car- unplugged a seat wire or anything at all with the battery connected- (it tricks the car)- THEN the light came on,
do the reset procedure found here on azine- you may have caused a false code

If the light comes back on- proceed to the dealer as you have an actual problem

If you didnt do anything and it came on- proceed to the dealer for warranty repairs
When the red light is ON you have no airbags at all- they are disabled/deactivated

When you call the dealer they have to give the standard quote- BY LAW they must start a regular work order with a diagnosis fee- its a legal thing to prove they did not steal your car and taking it apart~

Once found to be warranty, they produce a warranty work order and proceed- warranty pays for the diagnosis fee
A loaner car is provided when possible- age minimums do apply- same as rental cars in your state

So if you played with the car- do a reset and see.
If you didnt touch anything proceed to the dealer!!

Per a service manager on here- its 99.99% chance its covered fully if the light came on by itself or wont hold a reset
Old 02-15-2009, 02:57 PM
Scooby doobie crusin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
^ lol there you go
Old 02-15-2009, 02:57 PM
Team Owner

iirc he said as example- there are 6 parts- 5 of which are covered and the other doesnt fail normally-= 99.99
Old 02-15-2009, 03:56 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveS221
go to a mechanic shop not the dealer. my srs light comes on periodically and for me its always an code error. my mechanic will look at it everytime, reset it, and charge me nothing because he didn't really do anything. All they do is plug ur car into a computer an hit a few buttons. 110 bucks is notttttttt worth it!!
Sorry, but This is PISS POOR advise. If you have a light that keeps coming on there is a issue. Its not supposed to do that period. If you have to reset more than once BRING it in.

And you can reset it yourself in 15 seconds.
Old 02-15-2009, 09:33 PM
wham bam thank you ma'am

Received 41 Likes on 36 Posts
i agree with 01tl4tl and fsttyms1. when i took my air bag out and started the car the light came on. i put the bag back in and teh light was still on. so i cleared the light using two wires, i googled and read how its done, did work the first (might have missed a step), 2nd time it went out.
Old 02-15-2009, 10:28 PM
is out, so the

The light came on by itself, and I haven't done anything to my car. I took my Intake Resonator off a couple weeks back, but it was on way before then. Other than 3A Tips, and tint, I haven't done anything. But come to think of it, I did have a service done by a mechanic. I don't remember if it came on after he did it, or before.

Either way, I'm going to the dealer tomorrow. I'll get it fixed, plus I want to look at all the new Acura's.

Thanks guys for all your help!
Old 02-16-2009, 01:15 AM
Pro

Old 02-16-2009, 09:31 AM
2006 NBP TL MT6/ 02TL-S

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
It is most likey the OPDS sensor inside the front passenger seat.
My experience was that they just did the test on my first visit, took about an hour. The test showed it was a faulty OPDS, so they scheduled me to return the car another day because (at least my local dealer) they have to have an upholstery shop do the actual change out of the sensor-due to having to take apart the passenger seat & get it back together right.

The plus side was that they gave me free 08 TL as a loaner for a day.
Old 02-16-2009, 09:36 AM
Team Owner

the seat removal is fast- its peeling off the leather that takes time- time a tech can spend on moneymaking jobs
Some pats have to be ordered

Enjoy the loaner again next time! Glad you went and are getting it fixed- free~
Old 02-16-2009, 09:55 PM
is out, so the

Well I took it in. A hour and half drive to the dealer. They told me they would turn the light off to see if it had been triggered by a false code or something else. Took them 15 minutes, and the light was off. He told me if the light comes back on, there is something faulty in the system. I took the car to lunch, and it didn't come back on. So, I was almost out of town, headed home and it came back on. I turned all the way around, drove back across town and brought it back in. He diagnosed it, it was a faulty sensor in the driver seat. The sensor that detects if someone is in the seat or not? Anyways, he ordered the part and said it would be there on the 24th. So, I have to go back on the 24th to get it fixed. They were really nice and the dealership was awesome. It is part of an "organization" of dealers. Gregg Orr Acura, Infiniti and BMW are all right beside each other.

Anyways, on to the new Acuras. They had an 09 TSX on the showroom floor that was awesome. WDP was the color? Black interior, Tech package. Car looked very nice and interior was very sexy too.

And then I turn around and there is a 09 TL. Gray on Black, Tech, but it was only the FWD version. Car looks so hot in person. Wheels do not look that bad in person, but bigger wheels are a must on the FWD version. The exterior is nice, but it didn't really draw me to it. Then, I sat in the seat, and the interior is absolutely beautiful. The layout is simply awesome. Buttons and material quality was way up there. Seats were extremely comfortable, but on the sporty side. Even for the FWD version. Bottom of the seat was kind of hard. Bolstering was very nice. I played with the paddles for a while, and the instrument cluster gets me every time. I love the look. The way the needles move is really cool too. The interior is by far the best I have ever seen in a sedan. Better design than any other car I've ever seen. Seriously, don't knock the car until you have seen it in person. It looks way better in person, and the Power Plenum Grille is growing on me. I actually kind of like it. I like the fact that no one will mistake it for anything else. Today, all cars start to look alike. The 09 TL distinguishes itself, and has a attention-demanding look. I didn't like the car at first, but now it just looks plain sexy.

And surprising, they had four 09 RL's there. A White, Silver, Gray, and Black. My four favorite colors. They also look good in person. Rear end is very sexy. Interior is all right, but it has been out since 05. The only thing I didn't like was the seats. The leather is already wrinkled up looking. I don't like the look. It makes the seats look old, IMO.

But really, I think everyone should go see the new TL in person. It is an awesome car.
Old 02-16-2009, 10:26 PM
Team Owner

good to know-- another freebie that actually happens~
Old 03-02-2009, 11:40 AM
is out, so the

Well, I drove back down there so they could replace the sensor in the seat. I waited while they did it, and looked at plenty of new cars. It was ready in about an hour. Drove off, and the SRS light was off!

Well after I get about 90 miles away, the light comes back on! I looked at the printout they gave me, and it said they replaced the "seatbelt tensioner" I thought it was a sensor in the seat? Either way, I wasted my Saturday and gas to go down there and they not get it fixed. The touch up paint they supposedly ordered for me wasn't there.

I think they ordered the wrong part and forgot to order the touch up paint and didn't want to tell me that after I had already drove all the way down there. So, they reset the light so it looks like they fixed it. It would "accidently" come back on. Anyways, they are replacing everything until the light goes off, and paying for my gas to come down there again. Or they will give me a car to drive until they fix mine.
Old 03-02-2009, 12:39 PM
Team Owner

like we said there are 6 parts- and there is a problem with the seatbelts which is also a special extended warranty
They installed the part the codes said it should be, and it STILL needs another part
Well things like that happen,,,be glad its warranty and they give you a car to drive

Paint gets ordered by parts dept- if you left that up to anyone else--
and sometimes parts dont arrive. They get way over a hundred boxes of parts a week and parts from different parts of the country to sort thru for shelf or special order
Old 03-02-2009, 12:40 PM
Team Owner

didnt I mention sat as a bad day to go in?
no head tech is on duty- its oil change day for the most part