squeaky/scratchy sound from driver's window **help**

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2003, 10:28 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
squeaky/scratchy sound from driver's window **help**

everytime time i roll down my driver's side window, it makes this squeaky/scratchy sound. at first, it was only once in a while and now it's every time. it really annoys me!! i've tried cleaning my window and i've checked the rubber guard on the door where the window goes up and down but no luck...still does it.
anyone else ever had this problem?
any advise will be appreciated
thanks
Old 08-05-2003, 12:49 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, if its not the rubber at the bottom on the inside OR the outside of the glass, then its gotta be in the track inside the door. It will take you about 5 minutes (10 if you never did it before) to remove the door panel and have a look. (i was a professional car audio installer for 15 years so i can get the door panel off and disconnect all the wiring to the window switches, etc., in under 1 min. )

It really is easy even if you never did it before. There is only 1 phillips screw to remove under the center part of the door arm rest, and then there is a second screw behind the round plastic cover up by the door handle. Use a sharp pick or small tip flathead screw driver to open the plastic cover (but be careful not to tear it off as it is hinged at the front part) then you unscrew the phillips screw you will see up there, then slide the door handle forward to take it off the door, and undo the plastic clip holding the door opening rod onto the handle. Finally, grab the door panel allong the edge and give it a pull outward starting from around the bottom. There are a series of plastic pressure clips that hold the panel to the door. When you get all the clips to pop out just lift up on the whole panel and remove it. Reach behind and undo the few plugs you will find back there and you're in!

NOTE: the biggest pain in the as$ is when you put the door panel back on, be sure to get the door unlock knob to stick up through the hole in the panel BEFORE you press the panel back down over the edge of the metal edge of the door and start tapping with your fist to push the plastic clips back in to the slots on the door.
Old 08-05-2003, 03:06 PM
Advanced

thanks 2002 acuratl
i guess that's what i gonna have to do to see what's scratching
funny thing is, i don't see any scratch marks on the window itself
well, i'll give it a shot
thanks a lot

Old 08-05-2003, 06:55 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts
This is probably a new one to you all but it happens enough to mention. When you remove the door panel have a look behind the water shield( the white plastic liner) Honda sticks a big patch on tin foil to the inside if the door using a very sticky gummy blob of Stuff. This is to prevent a tiny sound when you close the door. Kinda like DYNAMAT. Sometimes if you slam the door you can pop this blob of crap off and it will get stuck somewhere that the window can scrape it on the way up and down. Remove it and throw it in the garbage. It doesnt really do much except fall off and cause problems. It may also be your regulator and motor assembly. I have seen a few of these go bad but most guys misdiagnose the noise and its really that blob stuck somewhere.
Old 08-05-2003, 08:22 PM
Racer

Before taking things apart, spray some WD-40 in the tracks, see if it helps.
Old 08-06-2003, 10:21 AM
Advanced

when you say tracks, where exactly is that?
Old 08-06-2003, 04:12 PM
Instructor

Instead of removing the door panels and using the WD40, try spraying some Silicone Spray on the sides of the window. The WD40 would actually damage the window especially if it's tinted. I had the same problem before with one of my rearwindows, and it turned out that some sands were caught on the side of the window making it to have weird noises & slower roll up time. After taking it to the dealership and them spraying the silicone spray on the sides, the problem went away
Old 08-06-2003, 07:52 PM
Racer

OK, so it is silicone spray for Acura, when I had my old Mazda dealer just sprayed WD-40 in the tracks... The tracks I am talking about are guides for glass on the window frame and in the door. It is enough to spray the part on the window frame, when glass slides down it will lubricate the lower part.
Old 08-06-2003, 08:40 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just a quick note here --- be sure you know there is a difference between WD40 and pure silicone spray. WD40 has various solvents in the formulation which help it free up rusted bolts for example. Pure silicone spray is just that, a lubricant, and doesnt have the cleaning properties of WD40. Keep this in mind if your windows are tinted as the previous poster said WD40 can ruin tint film. Its a good idea to keep a can of each in the garage. They both cost about the same.
Old 08-07-2003, 11:04 AM
Advanced

great advice guys
thanks a lot!!!!