Squeak, squeak...anyone wanna help me on where it is?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2001, 06:25 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Squeak, squeak...anyone wanna help me on where it is?

Hey guys...just got my very first squeak. For a car that's never hit ANY kind of big bump and is only about a month old...that's pretty pathetic...it only has 1000 miles on it. Ah well. So the squeak sounds like it's coming from the right rear of the car, when I hit a small bump, or a small dip, in the rode. Anyone know anything that has squeaked back there for them before? Anything I can pinpoint...because I have as yet not been able to pinpoint this bastard...

Austin519
Old 12-03-2001, 09:18 AM
Drifting

Try pushing on the top right hand corner of the rear window from the inside. Maybe the glass is rubbing against the metal or rubber trim.
Old 12-03-2001, 09:52 AM
Pro

Could it be from the front passenger seat too? We have lotsa squeaks outta that one..
Old 12-03-2001, 10:13 AM
Advanced

The small window pane in the rear door was the source of my squeaks. This pane of glass is supposed to be firmly glued in place; mine wasn't. I went back to the dealer and he had both of them resealed.

Another source of noise could be the passthru door. Drop the rear armrest, open the passthru door, drive around and see if the squeak disappears.

Hooked2TL is right; it could also be the passenger seat. When unoccupied I've seen the backrest wobble enough so as to cause an occasional squeak (I found it to be temperature dependent).

I've got a beauty that appears on rough roads (most streets in Montreal) and rattles in the roof. Probably something to do with the sunroof rails ... time to visit the dealer.

Good luck!
Old 12-03-2001, 12:15 PM
Safety Car

I've got liek this vibrate(y) type rattle from the right rear of the car -- when "Bass"y" songs are on.....

It didn't do it when I first got it -- but its getting worse.......

Any ideas? I can't figure it out

I just wanna find a part to blame so that the dealer can't say turn down the bass/radio....

Or if i can get it to do it at like half bass (notch on dial) and half volume -- is that reasonable to get it fixed?
Old 12-03-2001, 06:42 PM
Banned

okay guys I'm gonna go try this out and see if I can pinpoint it, and if what you all said helps any...I'll let you guys know...

Austin519
Old 12-03-2001, 10:20 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Any luck finding it?
Old 12-03-2001, 10:38 PM
10th Gear

Talking

That herd of buffalo that moved through dallas Saturday night might have knocked something loose. Ya might want to ask Simms....he knows what it's like to be "rattled".
Old 12-03-2001, 11:28 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by TheBigLaguna

I've got a beauty that appears on rough roads (most streets in Montreal) and rattles in the roof. Probably something to do with the sunroof rails ... time to visit the dealer.

There are 2 roof rattle fixes I think.

My sunroof shade rattles awfully when pushed back. I'm going to get it fixed when I get my 1st oil change.

Someone wrote about the problems and fixes elsewhere...

http://www.acura-tl.com/forum/showth...&highlight=TSB
Old 12-04-2001, 12:37 AM
Advanced

it's might be the sub, that's what happen to me before i took the sub out, now it's fine, hope this help and by the way welcome to the squeak club.
Old 12-04-2001, 05:26 AM
Banned

NighthawK:
No, it seems to have gone into hiding...it's driving me nuts because it'll squeak...I get a friend in the car to listen, it stops...it starts again, I turn around, it stops...it's a SMART squeak...I swear my car is possessed!

OU2000:
You seem to be following me with posts about how Colorado beat UT. Not to be mean, and not to burst your bubble, but two things:
1) there are like 12 people here from Austin, why'd you pick me?
2) I don't really care too much . I was happy with the 41-7 trounce. We lost because Simms gets stage fright and our coach is a stubborn arse...and would have won otherwise, from skill...as evinced by the fact that Colorado didn't score another TD after Applewhite came in (after Simms pulled himself out for supposedly being injured...) and we came back and lost by 2. I assume that's what you wanted to hear out of me.

aznboyz2000:
Thanks, this is one club I wish I wasn't in. As for the sub issue, well when I end up pulling the stock sub out, it'll be to put my new system in. And when that happens, I'll be so deaf I won't be able to hear the squeak so I'm not worried

Austin519
Old 12-04-2001, 07:30 AM
10th Gear

Austin:
Nothing personal. Your name just caught my attention. As an OU alum, I always have to take a few cheap shots at the shorthorns. As far as your squeaks go.......this is only the beginning. TLs like to squeak. It's the strangest thing. I'm selling mine. KNow anyone who wants an immaculate '99 ?

http://www.thebiglot.com/ad.asp?PN=1...654&tcsi=&fr=&
Old 12-04-2001, 08:59 PM
Banned

OU2000:
"As far as your squeaks go.......this is only the beginning. TLs like to squeak. It's the strangest thing. I'm selling mine. KNow anyone who wants an immaculate '99?"

I really don't want to hear that

Austin519
Old 12-05-2001, 09:04 PM

Unhappy mine is still in the shop

All the posts I've read in this thread have made me VERY pessimistic about my car. After trading in my '98 TL (which had no problems whatsoever) for this '02 one in October, I've had so many headaches b/c of this very same problem. Only a few days after I took my car home did I start hearing that squeaking, ticking, rubbing kind of noise coming from the rear glass area. In fact, the noise was probably always there, but since I usually had the radio on, I wasn't able to detect it until a few days later.

After the initial diagnosis, the dealership decided that they would need to keep my car for a couple days in order to fix whatever the problem was. I handed over my car to them a few weeks later in the very beginning of November, and here it is December and I'm still without my baby.

The service department claims they've put in over 20 hours on the car and still can't seem to fix the problem. They also said they had their Acura rep take a ride with them in the car, and they were still unable to make a proper diagnosis.

I had posted this problem to alt.autos.acura and a mechanic there suggested that they remove the rear windshield and reseal it in a different pattern. I emailed this to service, who claims they followed the advice, but to no avail.

As a side note, the "source" of the sound seemed to move *and* get louder after the 1st time I had brought the car in for them to look at.

Secondly, I'm finally in a loaner '02 TL that had been abused by the previous drivers. It rattles and squeaks EVERYWHERE (windows, seats, roof), and only has about 11K miles on it. I hope this isn't an indication of what's to come. My '98 TL was as solid as a rock, save for the squeaky driver's side window....but that was b/c of the lack of lube the assembly line put in there for that year.

I find it odd that there have been so many posts about this squeaking/rubbing/ticking noise, yet there hasn't been more of a widespread solution. I wonder if Acura is aware of how common this problem is.

As for now, I'm still waiting patiently for my car to return. In the meantime, I'm going to try to get Honda Finance to credit a month towards my payments since I haven't even been able to drive the car this whole time.

Wish me luck and I wish you the same!
Old 12-06-2001, 01:25 AM
Banned

summarizing my mood in three words...

damn damn damn...

I do wish you luck...and I'll go hunting for my sounds again when I get my car back...

Austin519
Old 12-06-2001, 04:23 AM
Burning Brakes

that annoying rear squeak

You know it's funny. I was driving around for like a couple hours today, with that sporadic squeak/rattle that comes from my rear windshield glass trim region that no one can seem to figure out. It was especially noisy today, like just as loud as the radio. I finally get upset enough to take it into the dealer, and no sooner does the tech step into my car to listen to the noise than it quiets down instantly. It's like magic.....Blackmagic.

My best guess is that this has something to do with the bond of the rear windshield glass to the metal body. Whenever the body flexes even slightly, the noise comes around. The noise is most apparent on warmer days. The noise is most absent in the presence of Acura service techs.
Old 12-06-2001, 07:08 AM
10th Gear

Is your squeak coming from the area around the rear speaker? I had the samw problem, but I seemed to fix it. Take a sponge (yes, a sponge) and cut a small piece of. Then with a plat head screwdriver, wedge it between the corner of the speaker and the rear windshield. The trick is to have the sponge apply pressure to the rear deck lid. It always seemed that by applying pressure to the rear deck lid, the squeak would stop. It's just a matter of have pressure constantly applied to it. You guys might have a different squeak, but give it a try.
Old 12-06-2001, 09:49 AM

humidity and the squeak

My noise is coming from the top part of the rear windshield, not the bottom, but I had always noticed that it stops completely whenever it's humid out.

I HOPE SOMEONE FROM ACURA STARTS READING THIS THREAD!
Old 12-06-2001, 08:07 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by JimmyThy
My noise is coming from the top part of the rear windshield, not the bottom, but I had always noticed that it stops completely whenever it's humid out.

I HOPE SOMEONE FROM ACURA STARTS READING THIS THREAD!
Jimmy,

Sounds like we might have the same squeaking problem. I know mine is not coming from the subwoofer or shelf, which is a more common problem. I'll let you know if I come up with a fix. Please let me know if you get any info from the dealers too.

-josh
Old 12-07-2001, 03:59 PM
Intermediate

heh heh....squeak squeak....

sadly...i went more than 5 times to the dealer bout this....
i even brought in a recording of the squeaking to them...
what was happening with me is this:
- the seat belt fastener was making noises....
(they thought it was the seat track on the bottom...oiled it each time...but never got anywhere)
so they oiled the seat belt fastener and then it seemed to kill the squeaks...but alas MORE squeaks!
- the other squeaks were coming from the sunroof...and if you haven't yet, go to the dealer and ask them to fix that....because there's some tape or something that they apply to the sunroof...

but wait...more squeaks!!!
seriously...my car has squeak gremlins....but yeah....i think the current ones are coming from the door or something....
but i gotta talk to dealer bout that one....

really, i just turn my music up a little higher and hum along...
i'm too sick of leaving my car at the dealer to deal with it....

they seriously are the greatest tho....must give props to OAKLAND ACURA!!!! [i hope your dealership is as understanding tooooo!]
Old 12-07-2001, 05:17 PM
Three Wheelin'

MY INSPIRE is officially squeak free thanks to park avenue acura. There was something in the headliner that clicked when the car when over bumps. When I get the full paperwork explaination I will post it. Find your self a dealer that will really look for the problem but make sure you take a test drive to identify the problem thoroughly with the technician.
Old 12-08-2001, 05:59 AM
Banned

NighthawkBlack:

That sounds like my problem mate...definitely post what it was...and where exactly it was...

Austin519
Old 12-08-2001, 12:06 PM
Jens

Thisi is a possible fix for the noise on the right rear corner of the headliner in all '99 and up TL and TL/S .have someone drive you around while you are in the right rear pass. seat,if you hear a rattle/squeek from the headliner directly above you check this.You will need to open the r/rr door and remove the rubber door seal molding on the body of the car.Next you must pry the "c" pillar cover away from the "c" pillar.You do not need to remove it completely only enough so that the headliner can be lowered slightly in the right rear corner.Now comes the fun part try to look up in there where you just pulled the headliner down.You will see the antenna cable routed along the sheet metal structure of the roof in the rt/rr corner .You will also see that the headliner has a small cardboard looking square tube glued to it.I have found in several cars that the cardboard spacer will strike the antenna cable and cause a noise that could be described as either a squeek or rattle depending on whom is describing the noise.Place a section of thin foam between the antenna cable and the headliner spacer block reassemble the car and see if your noise goes away.Hopefully this will solve your problem.Jens
Old 12-08-2001, 12:14 PM
Jens

Nighthawkblack: your vehicle also had this noise so I fixed it while i was up there anyway.Your primary noise however was in the actual steel beams in the roof and required some adjustments to the beams and the installation of foam inside the beams to get rid of that annoying "pop" .In some vehicles under certain road conditions a noise similar to a soda can being pried on with your finger can occur.Although it is rare it can happen .The trick is isolate the noise and then slightly "tweak" the offending structure or panel to eliminate.the correction is usually easy but finding the noise can be a bear depending on where it is in the car.Acura had a similar problem in the NSX that required the removal of a fender and some minor massage work with big tools to solve that problem.I have seen similar problems at virtually all of the other car lines I have worked on.jens
Old 12-08-2001, 04:41 PM
Three Wheelin'

Jens you are the man! Thanks so much, Im writting a letter to your boss and corporate Acura because you and your team deserve the recognition!
Old 12-08-2001, 09:42 PM
¤ Club Inspire ¤

Ahh.....squeaks.....When I was with Bebber yesterday..that was when i really experienced the noise! And man! It was annnnoying!!! HEHE! it didn't get to me at first....but the constant noise felt like it was poking at me..hehe!

This really test how Acura/Honda makes their cars. As you notice from JimmyThy...his 98 TL was rock solid compared to the new TL's....of course the pre 99's we're made from...Japan! And the 99-UP are from..... Ohio. Ah well..this gives me an excuse to bug my dealerships and nag them to let me drive a 02 TL-S as a loaner car...or a NSX (in my wildest dreams ! I hope to find squeaks on my new TL once I buy it! LOL!!! j/k j/k! I'm not making this post any better huh?
Old 12-09-2001, 03:51 AM
Burning Brakes

Well gee thanks ElegantTL. I'm happy that you liked the squeaks.

Jens, nice that you found out the cause of that squeak/rattle. Mine is different though, it occurs sometimes on the left side, sometimes on the right side, sometimes in stereo, and is always coming from the headliner and c-pillar area. It probably is some metal framework that is acting up, and hence a difficult problem to solve. Should I tell my Acura dealer to put foam in those supporting areas?
Old 12-09-2001, 11:43 AM
Jens

Bebber :how your dealer elects to fix it is something they will have to figure out.Number one the noise must be isolated and this is terribly time consuming.If the noise is as you say in the headliner/c pillar area the first step would be to start by eliminating potential sources of noise.This means quite simply they will have to start removing pieces of the car.In your case it would result in removal of the headliner and all of it's attendant pieces.Once this is accomplished with one guy driving and another one doing the listening it will be possible to isolate the noise.The foam trick is a good one but an old one.My boss tells me GM used to use expanding wall insulation (yup the spray can stuff) to alleviate noises caused by "oilcanning" ."Oilcanning" is that noise you get when you pry on a soda can or an old fashioned oil can similar to a pop sound.The foam trick may work on your car but then again there are other ways to accomplish the same thing.It is truly a case by case thing.I have worked on Mercedes Benz,Alfa Romeo,Saab and a host of other good and not so good cars and they all have had some noise issues.
Something to remember here is that a car is really a whole bunch of hollow structures welded together ,so a sound that seems to be in the headliner can actually originate from let's say the front suspension.These hollow sheet metal structures act as wonderful sound channels to confuse and frustrate anyone so lucky as to try to find a noise.As an example not too long ago a customer had a noise that sounded like it was coming from the dasboard but after extensive dissassembly I found a bent strut in the right front corner,mind you I had everyone take a listen to the car and we all thought a dashboard brace was loose behind the radio.
The point is once a dealer starts looking allow them plenty of time NVH complaints are easily amongst the toughest to try to fix.Jens
Old 12-09-2001, 12:08 PM
¤ Club Inspire ¤

haha bebber! oh yes most definatly! I hope my car has squeaks so I can go drive loaner cars! :p j/k I hope I don't run into much headache problems.
Old 12-20-2001, 10:44 AM

FINALLY back

OK guys, my baby is finally back from the dealership, after being away for over 5 WEEKS!!

I had been copying and pasting all the helpful hints I've been getting from this thread, and emailing it to the service department.

They said that my car's problem was in the actual body of the car itself - not in the molding or anything else. They tried some foam/sealant kind of stuff, but it wasn't working, so they were going to take it to the body shop and have them bend the frame or whatever to make it fit better. Right before they did, they decided to give the foam/sealant thing another shot and really gooped it in there. They said this foam expanded and hardened permanently, and gooping it on seemed to work this time, which they were happy about b/c they'd rather take this route than have the body shop possibly ruin the paint job on it.

So now she's back. The same exact noise is gone, but a different click took its place. This one doesn't happen as often, is louder, and seems to be coming from the rear right side of the body of the car, but now I'm just like, "Screw it". I WILL, however, attempt to get Acura Customer Care to knock off 1 of my lease payments for me, since I didn't have my brand new car for over a month because of this.

As for other clicking sounds in the car, check out my post under the "anyone seats click?" thread.

Good luck, all!

Miss T
'02 TL - White Diamond Pearl/Parchment
NJ
Old 12-20-2001, 11:46 AM
Burning Brakes

guys...guys...i'm guessing the springs are creating the squeeks..

I'm wondering if some sort of oil lubricant will help...take it away

city
Old 12-20-2001, 02:44 PM
Advanced

does warranty cover the squeaks in cars ?
even when u got sub system in ur car..?
i got squeaks in passanger seat and sun roof and somewhere else.. but i dont know if they gonna charge me cuz i got sub..