Spring Install? Is this a good price?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2004, 11:26 AM
Ackniculous One

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Spring Install? Is this a good price?

A well respected tuning shop here in Denver said they can install my springs for $425.00.

That price includes the H&R sports #50103 springs and installation. Is this a good price in your opinion? This does not include alignment by the way. They suggest getting a camber kit, but from what I have seen here on the forum, they can still get the car back to factory camber specs without one. True or False?

Breakdown:
H&R Springs $249
Install $175

If I purchased the springs through Tire Rack, they would be $200 shipped, but the tuning shop will charge $225 for install if I don't buy the springs through them. Installation wise, I think the tuner shop is probably the way to go, but I probably should purchase the springs through tire rack for warranty purposes. Tuner shops may be here today, gone tomorrow.

Examples
Firestone $440 for install, not including alignment, not including springs
Tires Plus $400 for install, includes alignment, not including springs
Acura Dealer $375 for install, but only will do Comptech. Includes alignment, not springs.
Old 09-28-2004, 11:30 AM
Boomer SOONER

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Thats not a bad price, I got mine done by a similar shop for $100. But anything below $200 I think is reasonable.
Old 09-28-2004, 11:37 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by CJITTY
A well respected tuning shop here in Denver said they can install my springs for $425.00.

That price includes the H&R sports #50103 springs and installation. Is this a good price in your opinion? This does not include alignment by the way. They suggest getting a camber kit, but from what I have seen here on the forum, they can still get the car back to factory camber specs without one. True or False?

Breakdown:
H&R Springs $249
Install $175

If I purchased the springs through Tire Rack, they would be $200 shipped, but the tuning shop will charge $225 for install if I don't buy the springs through them. Installation wise, I think the tuner shop is probably the way to go, but I probably should purchase the springs through tire rack for warranty purposes. Tuner shops may be here today, gone tomorrow.

Examples
Firestone $440 for install, not including alignment, not including springs
Tires Plus $400 for install, includes alignment, not including springs
Acura Dealer $375 for install, but only will do Comptech. Includes alignment, not springs.
Wow $425, that's alot. If you were in cali i would do everything for $325 installed!!!
Old 09-28-2004, 12:06 PM
'Big Daddy Diggler'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
wow, those guys are raping you. a typical spring install is about 125-150 around here. Also most places around here dont charge you mounting and balancing fees when you buy the tires from them. and an alignment is about 60 bucs for a 4 wheel computer alignment. so its about 210 for springs and alignment around here.
Old 09-28-2004, 12:15 PM
Ackniculous One

Ok, I mentioned above that the price actually includes the purchase of the springs and the installation together. So total for springs and install is $425. Just wanted to clear that up. I added the other prices to show just how much the mainstream places charge.

On the flip side, I just talked to another high end tuner shop here in Denver that works on Benz, Ferrari, Audi, BMW and Acuras. They will do the install for all 4 springs for $130. I'll just get the springs from Tire Rack for $200 shipped putting me at $330 total. That sounds alot better. They got a nice website too. http://www.nvautodesigns.com/main.htm
Old 09-28-2004, 12:17 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ok, I mentioned above that the price actually includes the purchase of the springs and the installation together. So total for springs and install is $425. Just wanted to clear that up. I added the other prices to show just how much the mainstream places charge.

On the flip side, I just talked to another high end tuner shop here in Denver that works on Benz, Ferrari, Audi, BMW and Acuras. They will do the install for all 4 springs for $130. I'll just get the springs from Tire Rack for $200 shipped putting me at $330 total. That sounds alot better. They got a nice website too. http://www.nvautodesigns.com/main.htm
Well i still beat them by $5 bucks. And yes that is with the springs and labor.
Old 09-28-2004, 12:42 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
with all the above.

That is on the high side. $185 for springs and $100 for install, then $60 or so for alignment here in WA. Good luck in choosing!
Old 09-28-2004, 12:46 PM
Ackniculous One

Originally Posted by bello425
with all the above.

That is on the high side. $185 for springs and $100 for install, then $60 or so for alignment here in WA. Good luck in choosing!

Nice Avatar...where did you get it? I feel for Denver, $330 is probably the best I'll get.
Old 09-28-2004, 12:46 PM
Phil 4:13

They suggest getting a camber kit, but from what I have seen here on the forum, they can still get the car back to factory camber specs without one. True or False?
I was curios about this also, but it was over looked - Answers anyone?
Old 09-28-2004, 12:49 PM
Ackniculous One

Originally Posted by valeo77
I was curios about this also, but it was over looked - Answers anyone?
Well, the guy I just talked to at the Tuner shop says unless I got 2 inches of drop or more, I don't need one. He says he has done installs on Acuras before with the H&R Sports and they never needed a camber kit. He also says for Acura's and many other cars, H&R's are the only way to go.
Old 09-28-2004, 12:58 PM
Ackniculous One

Nice Avatar...where did you get it? I feel for Denver, $330 is probably the best I'll get.
Ok, now your avatar is better ..dammit
Old 09-28-2004, 01:00 PM
Instructor

What Avatar? Yeah, $330 would also work for me. Even though I have to go to 3 different locations to get the parts and then get the work done.
Old 09-28-2004, 01:03 PM
Ackniculous One

What Avatar? Yeah, $330 would also work for me. Even though I have to go to 3 different locations to get the parts and then get the work done.
Thats funny, now your Avatar looks better..argghhh

I think I am gonna go with this $130 install deal. Nice high end shop and not pulling the ol', you buy from me, I'll give you a better deal type scenario.
Old 09-28-2004, 01:09 PM
Instructor

CJITTY,

You changing your shocks also? I debating on Illuminas or Koni's, since it seems I might need to get them eventually with any spring replacement. Well send the pics after install.
Old 09-28-2004, 01:21 PM
Ackniculous One

Well, here is how I look at it. Sorry if this is long, but I wanted to give my rationale behind my decision just in caseothers are in my situation.

I had a 97 Accord and put Eibach Pro Kits on it at 22,000 miles. I drove that car hard, city, highway you name it and the car still rode pretty good until about 125K miles. I felt the ride quality was not as good as it had been. The stock struts never really wore out that bad, never leaked or anything. Then, around 130K miles, I changed out the struts and put the stock springs back on until I sold it. It rode way better, but I think my Eibachs and struts may have been worn out a bit. Plus, I put stock springs and stock struts back on and the damn car rode better than off the dealer lot.

That said, my Acura is by no means a daily driver whatsover. I have a 92 Accord I beat up on for the daily grind. I drive my TL-S on evenings when my fiance and I go out, on weekends and road trips. Maybe 7500 miles a year? So, the car is in the garage most the time. With a quality install and quality springs like H&R, I would not expect my struts to wear out anytime soon, or at all for that matter.

So, having said all that, I am not buying new struts. When that time comes around, I will probably go with the Tociko, Koni's, or something along those lines designed for lowered cars. Or, I may just put on some good ol' Monroe Sens-A-Trac's and drive another 100K on those. I'm not too concerned about struts with installing the springs with my situation.

Didn't want to stray that far off topic, but it's still good info for the searchers here.
Old 09-28-2004, 01:22 PM
Ackniculous One

CJITTY,

You changing your shocks also? I debating on Illuminas or Koni's, since it seems I might need to get them eventually with any spring replacement. Well send the pics after install.

Well, here is how I look at it. Sorry if this is long, but I wanted to give my rationale behind my decision just in caseothers are in my situation.

I had a 97 Accord and put Eibach Pro Kits on it at 22,000 miles. I drove that car hard, city, highway you name it and the car still rode pretty good until about 125K miles. I felt the ride quality was not as good as it had been. The stock struts never really wore out that bad, never leaked or anything. Then, around 130K miles, I changed out the struts and put the stock springs back on until I sold it. It rode way better, but I think my Eibachs and struts may have been worn out a bit. Plus, I put stock springs and stock struts back on and the damn car rode better than off the dealer lot.

That said, my Acura is by no means a daily driver whatsover. I have a 92 Accord I beat up on for the daily grind. I drive my TL-S on evenings when my fiance and I go out, on weekends and road trips. Maybe 7500 miles a year? So, the car is in the garage most the time. With a quality install and quality springs like H&R, I would not expect my struts to wear out anytime soon, or at all for that matter.

So, having said all that, I am not buying new struts. When that time comes around, I will probably go with the Tociko, Koni's, or something along those lines designed for lowered cars. Or, I may just put on some good ol' Monroe Sens-A-Trac's and drive another 100K on those. I'm not too concerned about struts with installing the springs with my situation.

Didn't want to stray that far off topic, but it's still good info for the searchers here.
Old 09-28-2004, 01:50 PM
Instructor

Thanks for the insight, since I am still on the edge on whether or not to buy the struts/shocks. This is my daily commuter though, unless I trade with my wife for her 03 Accord. Can't do that she already tried to give me a Heartattack when she used my TL to go shopping ancalled, I'm redlining going 60mph. I said no way she could be redlining. Sure enough she was on S/S. Now she knows better, I hope . So back to contemplating, to buy or not to buy.
Old 09-28-2004, 02:27 PM
Drifting

Springs should be no more than $160
Install no more than $100
Old 09-28-2004, 02:28 PM
Pro

wow, rapage! 240 installed at discount tires! WITH springs
Old 09-28-2004, 02:34 PM
Ackniculous One

Wow, discount tire here in Colorado does not do that work, strictly wheels in tires only. Well, for those of you in California, be thankful for plenty of tuner competetion. Here in Denver, it's not near as big, therefore, it costs more. I've called about 10 places and $330 for springs and installation is the best I can get, so I'll just be happy with that.

I just ordered the springs and promise you before and after pics of the install.
Old 09-28-2004, 03:23 PM
Missing my Acura's

125$ for the install and 55$ for the alignment at a custom alignment shop.