Sound System

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2004, 05:52 PM
Illusion Lighting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sound System

Okay.. I've been thinking about adding a sound system into my car. However,I want to keep the head unit stock. I was just planning on adding focal speakers w/ some image dynamic subs. My question is , has anyone done something similar to this and what is the sound quality like? I'd hate to pay to get it changed out and see minmal difference if any. What is everyone's take on this?
Old 06-14-2004, 06:17 AM
ChairmanMaoSaysRTFM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
when i bought my car i found out the previous owner had components in the front and back. now all i know is the rears are 'MA Audios', i honestly do not know what the fronts are but there was a tiny audiobahn sticker on my headunit so that may be it. sounds 10x better than stock speakers.

in my opinion, you can't go wrong with focal. they rock. my best friend used to have a 2002tl and he had an aftermarket system with focal components in front and back. it sounded amazing! subs will help too. i love a little thump (i listen to heavy metal, so the louder the kickdrums, the better). i was running an alpine amp and sub on the stock headunit with the components that were allready in there and it sounded real good.

i am honestly thinking about removing my alpine headunit and going back to the stock HU because i don't want it to look so tempting to attract thieves. i dunno, i need to think about that though. anyways, sorry for rambling, but if you have the money then do it. only thing is be specific about where you want your tweeters. in the front they mounted them next to the speakers and not on the sail panels in my car, so you can't really hear them as much as i would like. in the rear they are right under where the pull-up for the door lock is, which i think is a decent location (also depending on how deep the focals need to be mounted). good luck and let us know how it goes!

SSTS
Old 06-14-2004, 09:47 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey, check out the system I have listed in my sig. I haven't had time to put in the headunit, so I'm just running the 2 12's and amp off my stock headunit, and I think it sounds fine. I am actually considering just reselling the headunit I bought, but I might just put it in for the added look.
Old 06-14-2004, 04:28 PM
Illusion Lighting

My main concern is whether the sound quality will improve a significant amount considering that I'll be running my system off my stock headunit. Does the quality of the sound justify the cost? I will need someone to build me kick panels and those aren't cheap. what do you think??
Old 06-14-2004, 06:31 PM
Advanced

OU SIG has focal's and they sound 10x better than the stock speakers. nice and crisp sound!!
Old 06-14-2004, 08:44 PM
Boomer SOONER

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Shinobi
OU SIG has focal's and they sound 10x better than the stock speakers. nice and crisp sound!!
thanks man

I have to agree, the Focals have great highs and mids that are never overwhellmed by my subs - even when I blast a Bass cd. They sound very smooth at any volumes, along with the JL subs. There are obviously different setups out there, but this one sounds increadible. I have heard many complements from everyone who has heard it.

PM with any questions