Sound differences? What are your opinions?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2004, 08:20 AM
Money is funny.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sound differences? What are your opinions?

OK, I have my intake resonator off and am really considering a CAI...but before I go ahead and buy it off the guy I want to know, for those with firsthand experience, is there a noticeable difference between the cars sans resonator and the car with CAI? From what I gather, it only really screams when VTEC opens up, which is what my resonatorless car does already. I'm looking primarily for sound. I like that it is mostly quiet under daily driving, but I want just a LITLLE more growl under 3500 rpms...advice?
Old 06-15-2004, 10:56 AM
Money is funny.

can i get that throaty kinda growl WITHOUT an exhaust? Or would I have to upgrade that too? Also, can anyone shed any light on the exhaust resonators? I'm a total noob at that too...
Old 06-15-2004, 12:43 PM
Banned

Go with the CAI, its quiet until you hit vtec. Your not gonna get a rumbling effect without an exhaust, or you can just take the mufflers off, supposedly our cars sound pretty good with them off.
Old 06-15-2004, 12:44 PM
Banned

I dunno what our cars sound like without a resonator sorry, maybe someone else can shed some light on this
Old 06-15-2004, 01:32 PM
Burning Brakes

[QUOTE=poohlikeshunny]OK, I have my intake resonator off and am really considering a CAI...but before I go ahead and buy it off the guy I want to know, for those with firsthand experience, is there a noticeable difference between the cars sans resonator and the car with CAI? From what I gather, it only really screams when VTEC opens up, which is what my resonatorless car does already. I'm looking primarily for sound. I like that it is mostly quiet under daily driving, but I want just a LITLLE more growl under 3500 rpms...advice?[/QUOTE

have you replaced your air filter yet? the stock one ARE designed to lessen engine noise so putting a say K&N in it will give you some additional all around engine noise. other then that you already have a non muffled intake,putting in a CAI will only take the sound and put it in the bumper area where it will be even less noticable (by you(driver) but maybe more by others)
Old 06-15-2004, 02:10 PM
Money is funny.

aha...nice explanation yield2s...you seem to be giving me all the answers today! I guess I never thought about where the end of the CAI would be in the engine bay...

linner...I wasn't aware it was legal to remove the mufflers...what are you to do? Could you shed some light on this topic for me? Thanx!
Old 06-15-2004, 02:40 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by poohlikeshunny
aha...nice explanation yield2s...you seem to be giving me all the answers today! I guess I never thought about where the end of the CAI would be in the engine bay...

linner...I wasn't aware it was legal to remove the mufflers...what are you to do? Could you shed some light on this topic for me? Thanx!
Well here's anudder one pooh, you cant remove the mufflers but a real cheap fix to get more exhaust sound is to remove the exhaust resonators on your car. they are like little mufflers between the cat and the real mufflers. have a shop cut them out and replace them w/ just plain straght pipe and your in. I havnt done this on my TL-S and prob never will. but i have on my other honda and its fine. Same exact priciple as the intake resonator you removed. Oh ya you'll prob have to fine a little hole in the wall place to do it and keep in mind they're using about 5-10buck in materials so the rest is labor, pay accordingly.
Old 06-15-2004, 03:18 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
i got a piece of pipe from a shop and it cost me like 10 bucks. then i went home and cut out the exhaust resonators and welded the pipe in place ( the shop wanted 25$ total to do it) you will get a deaper throatier sound with them removed with the factory exhaust
Old 06-15-2004, 03:23 PM
Purchased: April 28, 2001

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
OK, I have my intake resonator off and am really considering a CAI...but before I go ahead and buy it off the guy I want to know, for those with firsthand experience, is there a noticeable difference between the cars sans resonator and the car with CAI? From what I gather, it only really screams when VTEC opens up, which is what my resonatorless car does already. I'm looking primarily for sound. I like that it is mostly quiet under daily driving, but I want just a LITLLE more growl under 3500 rpms...advice?
I can probably give you the best advice since I've done all of the items you've mentioned.

Here's my intake history...Stock intake > Injen CAI > modified & painted CAI > Resornatorless stock intake + K&N drop in > to now a re-painted Injen CAI with a K&N XStream Air Flow Top.

The main reason why I dumped the Injen CAI was that the finish on my pipe got ruined & cleaning the filter was a pain-in-the-ass. But...the main reason why I'm going back (after a full year without a CAI) is that I missed the growl during high speed freeway runs.

One advice I have buying used intakes is that you shouldn't even consider putting it on unless you've washed and re-oiled the cotton, and if there is a puncture, then buy a completely new filter head. If you live in CA, then go for AEM simply because it has a CARB sticker, if not...I would go with an Injen, since there hasn't been any reports of the support brackets breaking off on an Injen vs an AEM.

Here's my exhaust history...Stock exhaust > Thermal R&D axleback > OBX SS headers > Resornatorless stock Y-pipe.

*IF I could do it all over again, I would NOT remove the small resonator. This is not a normal "muffler" like most think, but instead is a resonator, because without it, you WILL get a "resonance like" sound when you pass through 2.25k RPMs. If you care to look at any cat-back setup, you'll notice that they all have a small resonator right after the catalytic converter. The small "muffler" is to reduce vibration, not noise.

If you "need" to remove anything, choose the big one, and keep in mind, labor should be around $40.
Old 06-16-2004, 12:54 PM
Banned

LOL I dunno if its legal, but someone over on A-cl.com did it. Just remember reading about it. Im sure the decibal level of a mufferless TL will not reach the point where its a noise violation, anyways I was just giving him some cheap alternatives.
Old 06-16-2004, 01:25 PM
Money is funny.

i like.....thanx for the input everyone! It's cool to read a thread that doesn't involve flaming or bashing...right to the points and right back out....just the way it should be! =)