Some Honda/Acura trouble spots fyi

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2001, 05:48 PM
Not a Blowhole

Received 32 Likes on 13 Posts
Some Honda/Acura trouble spots fyi

Late model Accords and Acuras:
Failure of the rear hydraulic engine mount will cause symptoms of a rough idle, esp. when running the A/C. The steering wheel may shake, and you may hear a pop when coming to a stop. There is a vacuum solenoid ont he firewall that should pull vacuum above 750 rpm or so, triggering the hydraulic mount to actuate. If it checks out ok, Honda suggests lossening and re-tightening all the mounts to spec.

'90 and up Acuras:
Squeak when driving over bumps is caused by rubbing of the inner or outer bushing ends of the rear trailing arms. To stop it, install plastic shims (p.n. 52387-SH3-305) in the slots of the bushings.

All:
Hondas and Acuras are very sensitive to liquid being spilled onto the console shift indicator. This can cause all sorts of weird problems: starting out in 2nd, incoreect illumination of the quadrant, etc. Watch those lattes and sports drinks. A good Bourbon will have NO deleterious effect - that is why I keep it handy. Heh heh heh.
Old 11-03-2001, 12:38 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey thanks nice to know that Rage!
P.S.
Got the exhaust and it looks great...a little scratch here and there, but otherwise nice......thanks!
Old 11-03-2001, 12:42 AM
Burning Brakes

Re: Some Honda/Acura trouble spots fyi

Originally posted by Road Rage
Late model Accords and Acuras:
Failure of the rear hydraulic engine mount will cause symptoms of a rough idle, esp. when running the A/C. The steering wheel may shake, and you may hear a pop when coming to a stop. There is
I had a similar incident few days ago, was in stop and go traffic and suddenly when I stopped the car vibrated and the steering was shaking...but just for a moment. Could it be this problem? It has not happened again...
Old 11-03-2001, 08:29 AM
Not a Blowhole

Received 32 Likes on 13 Posts
Evo: Glad they got there safe and sound - those scratches will not affect performance. A squeamish Forum type might post "Do light scratches cut HP?". BTW, just as in show dogs of a sporting nature "a scar honorably incurred will not be held against the animal". I assert that the scratches were honorably incurred in the bashing of BMW's.

Javadeity:
Might could be. Unlikely due to intermittent - you could try disconnecting the leads to the mounts, or trace them back to the vacuum switch, disconnect, and see if the resulting vibration mimics what happened to you. Keep an eye on it.
Old 11-06-2001, 09:47 PM
Intermediate

Question Question for RoadRage

RR,

Was there a TSB for the vibration issue? I would like to get that information before I open my mouth with the Acura Service Writer. I had brought that question up and he said that there's no fix and it is normal.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Cap
Old 11-06-2001, 10:55 PM
Racer

Re: Some Honda/Acura trouble spots fyi

Originally posted by Road Rage
Hondas and Acuras are very sensitive to liquid being spilled onto the console shift indicator. This can cause all sorts of weird problems: starting out in 2nd, incoreect illumination of the quadrant, etc. Watch those lattes and sports drinks. A good Bourbon will have NO deleterious effect - that is why I keep it handy. Heh heh heh.
You mean I've been totin' my Crown around in a stainless travel mug for nothing?