Solution for stollen headlights

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2002, 06:51 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Solution for stollen headlights

Does anyone have one? Is there some kind of metal bracket or some where we can put screws to make them harder to steal? I want to kill these theives :devil:
Old 02-15-2002, 07:27 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,080 Likes on 661 Posts
Problem is what they'll do to get at your lights. The majority of the damage is when they tear off the bumper and bend the quarter panels.

Although the lights are still expensive, almost all the damage is with them getting to them.

You need to somehow discourage them from actually trying to steal them.

My car is equiped with the Clifford IG9000 alarm. My LED is mounted in the front of the rear view mirror. Very bright. I never park in areas where my car is not visible to the public. Therefore if someone tries something, the alarm will wail and hopefully the thief will not be stupid enough to steal the lights with people around.

Oh and I mounted my siren right under one of the ballasts. Awful loud under there.
Old 02-15-2002, 07:31 PM
@(UR@ +!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I say slip some razor blades around the headlights and when one of those little A**holes tries to take it.....off comes his finger tips....hehehehehehe:devil:
Old 02-15-2002, 07:36 PM
Three Wheelin'

How bout a theft detterent sticker that says "No Ballasts Inside".

I understand what you are saying but I think if we did something to secure them and then put a sticker that only the theif would notice saying have fun trying to get these off, then maybe they wouldn't bother and look for someone else's TL.
Old 02-15-2002, 08:18 PM
Super Troll

Originally posted by copyryte
I say slip some razor blades around the headlights and when one of those little A**holes tries to take it.....off comes his finger tips....hehehehehehe:devil:
i like the way you think.....
Old 02-15-2002, 08:20 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by NighthawkBlack
How bout a theft detterent sticker that says "No Ballasts Inside".

I understand what you are saying but I think if we did something to secure them and then put a sticker that only the theif would notice saying have fun trying to get these off, then maybe they wouldn't bother and look for someone else's TL.
I posted the following story on a similar thread a while ago. It's right up your alley.

Got an even better idea. My parent's neighbor used to be a Chicago cop. He told me of a story where he responded to someone who called in that his car was broken into. When he got there, noticed the usual broken glass, but the guy had a huge smile on his face. When he (the cop) looked in the car, the stereo was still there, but there was blood everywhere. The guy told him that his car had been broken into several times and he was sick of it, so he welded razor blades to the radio. When the guy reached under the dash :wow:

The car owner said "I know I gotta clean this all up, but I got the SOB".

This was a while ago and I was still pi$$ed 'cause someone broke into a Chevy I used to own to steal my radar detector. I just had the car painted and the scrathed up the door when they reached in to yank out the radar detector. I ended up doing the same to the Kenwood Stereo and EQ/amp I had in that car.

Old 02-15-2002, 08:27 PM
Pro

My friend's shop installed some PIAA fog lamps. The customer boobytrapped the lamps with razor blades. Someone did try to steal them and they got cut up.

Long story short, the freak'n thief sued the owner of the lamps/car claiming he had diminished use of his fingers...rotflmao. i don't know what the outcome was but with the legal system today i wouldn't be too quick to put razor blades on the car although i would love to see these pieces of craap get their fingers lopped off biblical style.
Old 02-15-2002, 09:05 PM
Racer

Originally posted by jimster716
My friend's shop installed some PIAA fog lamps. The customer boobytrapped the lamps with razor blades. Someone did try to steal them and they got cut up.

Long story short, the freak'n thief sued the owner of the lamps/car claiming he had diminished use of his fingers...rotflmao. i don't know what the outcome was but with the legal system today i wouldn't be too quick to put razor blades on the car although i would love to see these pieces of craap get their fingers lopped off biblical style.
Damn, I'd really like to know what happened to that stupid SOB! What do you say in court? Uh...I was trying to steal the guys fog lights but ... How can some people be so stupid?
Old 02-15-2002, 10:01 PM
Resident Volkswagen Dork™

Originally posted by andrews32

Damn, I'd really like to know what happened to that stupid SOB! What do you say in court? Uh...I was trying to steal the guys fog lights but ... How can some people be so stupid?
knowing America...they probably won...lol
Old 02-15-2002, 10:16 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by ShadyUpInSmoke

knowing America...they probably won...lol
You know, that is pretty sad. Scary thing is that you are probably right.

What do you guys think will happen if I shot the guys knee caps if I caught him breaking into my car?
Old 02-15-2002, 10:21 PM
Instructor

Actually they would win in court. There was a case of some guy who's house kept being broken into and so he put a spring gun on the door. Some one broke in and his leg was blown off. The owner of the house was chargerd criminally and held liable in civil court. Whatever you do, don't cause bodily harm.
Old 02-15-2002, 10:35 PM
Pro

Originally posted by aepiua
Actually they would win in court. There was a case of some guy who's house kept being broken into and so he put a spring gun on the door. Some one broke in and his leg was blown off. The owner of the house was chargerd criminally and held liable in civil court. Whatever you do, don't cause bodily harm.
Dont cause bodily harm!! Fvck that! Im all about bloody fingers and ass kicking's!! ****, let them sue me. Ill be laughing all the way to prison. Ill call Larry H. Parker. Maybe he can get me 2.1 million. LOL!!!
Old 02-16-2002, 12:01 AM
'Big Daddy Diggler'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
If i ever cathc anyone near my car looking at it like they want to do anything. I swear i will stalk them and hunt them down when they are ready to do damage. I will kill for my car. Its my money well spent. I'll be dammed if they are gonna wreck my investment.
Old 02-16-2002, 12:32 AM
Instructor

I swear i will stalk them and hunt them down when they are ready to do damage. I will kill for my car. Its my money well spent. I'll be dammed if they are gonna wreck my investment.
im w/ ya :devil:
Old 02-16-2002, 01:15 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by aepiua

this is because defense of property by inflicting serious bodily harm or death is not allowed in any circumstance...the only way you can do either is if YOU feel threatened by serious bodily injury or death. so, if the court feels that injury via the razor blades is serious bodily injury, then you'll be liable. BS, yes i know...
Old 02-16-2002, 01:19 AM
Three Wheelin'

As long as you remove the blades after, I don't see how they can prove anything.
Old 02-16-2002, 05:29 AM
The New 3 Series Coupe

Originally posted by copyryte
Some good shiet!!!!
Old 02-16-2002, 09:39 AM
Buckle Up

I got this ingenious idea from the RSX site. Hire a midget with a machine gun to stand outside your car everywhere you go.
Old 02-16-2002, 01:28 PM
Instructor

"this is because defense of property by inflicting serious bodily harm or death is not allowed in any circumstance...the only way you can do either is if YOU feel threatened by serious bodily injury or death. so, if the court feels that injury via the razor blades is serious bodily injury, then you'll be liable. BS, yes i know..."

Considering most of these headlight thefts occur when the vehicle's owner is no where near the car, it would be very difficult to prove the fear of serious bodily injury or death. If you guys think that this is BS, I have a really messed up hypothetical for you. If you leave your car parked and a delivery guy shows up and your car is blocking where he needs to be, he could push your car out of the way without damaging it and you wouldn't be able to recover anything. The messed up court system we have seems even more messed up after law school!
Old 02-16-2002, 01:40 PM
Three Wheelin'

have u guys ever seen one of those super sticky pads to catch mice?... if u can manage to put that under where the theifs would put their hands into...then once they are stuck ... they are stuck...

they can stay there or rip their hands off...hmm just an idea, but i dont think it'll be possible hehe
Old 02-16-2002, 01:43 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by lilboykorea
have u guys ever seen one of those super sticky pads to catch mice?... if u can manage to put that under where the theifs would put their hands into...then once they are stuck ... they are stuck...

they can stay there or rip their hands off...hmm just an idea, but i dont think it'll be possible hehe
Thats really funny and probably the best way. If he lets himself/herself be caught then they won't get hurt, If not they can rip their hand off LOL. To bad their is no epoxy that can not dry until its touched.
Old 02-17-2002, 05:24 AM
Banned

copyryte:
Heh heh...copyryte great idea! Tell you what I was thinking about doing. I'm going to have 3 2 farad caps in my car...I can just have it wired to a voltage step up to get a high enough voltage to spark across...say...a 1"gap. Then I just wire the caps' + terminal to a 0 gauge wire that is split to connect to electrodes anywhere I want...and of course ground the chassy. BZZZT POW! They go flying across the parking lot . Or another thing you could do that is feasible and wouldn't cause permanent injury. Rig one of those explosive pepper spray like things to it...seen those? They're little small packages that explode on impact...and they wouldn't hurt the car...they'd just get all over the guy

Austin519
Old 02-18-2002, 03:19 PM
Advanced

i got caught today...

I was parked right under my window at about 2:30pm today & they took my headlights. Broad daylight, I know I was being watched, so somebody in the neighborhood took them. I was staying by my girls place for the weekend, she went food shopping w/ the car, when she came back they took them. She has an idea who took them because she came inside & two guys were staring her down, they quickly walked off when she got in front of the building, she was upstairs for not even 5mins when she went back down 2 get some more groceries & passenger window shattered hood bent bumper off wires dangling, it was an ugly sight. Sad thing is I can see my car from my window, I have a clear view of the whole car but I thought if they took it I would hear the alarm (they unhooked the battery) I'm so angry right now I'm lost for words. Be careful guys, it's no joke, all it takes it 3minutes...
Old 02-18-2002, 05:04 PM
Three Wheelin'

Sounds like the way to go is give the alarm and auxilary power. How could we do this without messing anything up?
Old 02-18-2002, 07:06 PM
@(UR@ +!

Hey Slim229,

I'm sorry to hear about your loss. I would want to try and hunt those SOB's down and beat the living S*** out of them. I feel for you.

Don't worry though because what comes around goes around and those BASTARDS will get their day:devil:
Old 02-18-2002, 10:27 PM
Advanced

thanks copyryte!! messed up thing is I really believe I know who did it. Some neighborhood punks, my girl seen 3guys acting suspicious and they walked off quickly as she went inside, next thing u know she goes back downstairs (not even 7mins later, I swear) and they were gone. But I cant act upon who I think did it because I have no evidence, police said unless I seen them doing it their not suspects.
Old 02-18-2002, 10:31 PM
@(UR@ +!

Man that REALLY REALLY sucks!!!!
Old 02-19-2002, 08:00 PM
Banned

NighthawkBlack:
"Sounds like the way to go is give the alarm and auxilary power. How could we do this without messing anything up?"

Some alarms have this. The best way to go is to hook up an auxilary battery in parallel to the alarm terminals...but hide it and the wires deep in the engine bay or deep in the dash, and to hide the wires as well. Some of the installations I've seen using this have worked very well...people doing things like soldering the auxilary wires onto the alarm terminals so they can't be removed, and using metal braided wiring (think SS brake lines) so that the wires can't be cut. They are soldered onto the auxilary battery, which is bolted into the car. To stop alarms like that, they have to physically destroy the alarm itself, or pull out a metal saw and spend 10 mins sawing through the wiring. In both cases the thief would be more than caught by then. This is what I plan on doing once I install my quite large stereo system.

As well as the razorblade idea

Austin519
Old 02-19-2002, 08:03 PM
Banned

slim229:
Do what my brother did when they took all his stereo equipment...put a PI on it. That and/or go to either one of them, or better a friend of theirs and say, "I know you did it, they dusted for your prints and one of the neighbors saw you. If you give it back and pay to have it repaired I won't have you thrown in jail." That statement worked for my bro, however it best works if the kids are young, aka 18 or less...and so still in high school and worried about their parents. And of course you better be damn sure...but they'll squeal in 10 seconds.

Austin519
Old 02-19-2002, 10:07 PM
Advanced

Has anyone heard of the chapman lock? I heard that it's a sure winner for stopping these punks... I hear that the most that they can do is bust your window to get in the car but no headlights.