so which would you pick?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2002, 09:27 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
so which would you pick?

i need help solving my problem...i am graduating soon and my parents have really been hassling me about making a decision so therefore i have narrowed down my choices to either a brand spankin new '03 TL-S (maybe i'll wait to see what '04 has to offer if it's not too long) or a used 99-00 Lex GS400. i know some of you may be biased because you drive a TL-S that's fine post your opinion anyway, but help me out on what i should do.
Old 05-23-2002, 09:49 PM
MB-Fanatic w/TL-S

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
IMO, it really depends on what you want.... they are 2 very different car targeted at different buyers.... if you want raw power, with luxury, refinement, rear wheel drive V8 sedan, and don't really mind buying a used car, go with GS400....TLS on the other hand, you buy a brand new car, that's one of the best in its class, FWD is great in faul weather, car itself is roomy, alot of VROOM in its class as well..... the most importantly, you would be the one who do the break-in.....and you know that the car would be well broken-in and well taken cared of.....

Andy Kuo
Old 05-24-2002, 08:47 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by AKRY
IMO, it really depends on what you want.... they are 2 very different car targeted at different buyers.... if you want raw power, with luxury, refinement, rear wheel drive V8 sedan, and don't really mind buying a used car, go with GS400....TLS on the other hand, you buy a brand new car, that's one of the best in its class, FWD is great in faul weather, car itself is roomy, alot of VROOM in its class as well..... the most importantly, you would be the one who do the break-in.....and you know that the car would be well broken-in and well taken cared of.....

Andy Kuo
oh you forgot to mention the TRANNY on TL..
Old 05-24-2002, 08:47 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by 69tl

oh you forgot to mention the TRANNY problem on TL..
Old 05-24-2002, 09:05 AM
Drifting

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts
I'd get the GS400.
Old 05-24-2002, 09:10 AM
Racer

69tl has given the guy a tranny problem before he even bought the car....
Old 05-24-2002, 09:10 AM
Dr. TLS

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by 69tl
oh you forgot to mention the TRANNY problem on TL..
That is not a problem for many, maybe even most of us. The last I heard was it was common if you drive aggressively or in manumatic all the time.

And now a little about the topic. My uncle just got a GS430 and it is a sweet car. If you have the money or find a good deal on one, I would go for the V8 GS 400. But if performance and value is what you want, the TL-S is it.

P.S. But don't walk out of the Lexus dealership with a GS300.
Old 05-24-2002, 09:17 AM
still a Masshole

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thats a tough call and one I had to make as well a few months back. If you can find a low miles 00 GS400 for under 33k then I might say go for the Lex. I love my TLS and am extremely happy with my car. The tranny issue was a concern for me as well but its not like 100, 50, 20 or even 10% of the trannies are failing. Both cars are great its just that one is a bit more powerful and luxurious. I wanted a new car and thats why I chose the TLS. It has luxury, power, looks (I like it at least), some aftermarket potential, and was new at a great price. Another factor for me was the FWD, since we can get some nasty weather up here in Massachusetts. I wasn't confident enough to drive a RWD in the winter (although I think if you are cautious it really might not matter).

Also keep in mind that both cars are probably gettign redesigned for 04.

I hope this helps although after reading it myself I gave info but didn't answer your question (except I did go with the TLS and am not regretting it!). Good luck and let us know what you get.
Old 05-24-2002, 10:37 AM
Drifting

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally posted by thephantom
I'd get the GS400.
Better yet, flip a coin.
Old 05-24-2002, 10:48 AM
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by vandy786

That is not a problem for many, maybe even most of us. The last I heard was it was common if you drive aggressively or in manumatic all the time.

This isn't necessarily the case...I never used the sport shift...and I babied the hell out of my TL-S...I suppose now people will say it's because I didn't drive it the way it was intended...
Old 05-24-2002, 10:49 AM
Pro

Originally posted by steveinathens
Yeah...it comes standard...j/k!
Old 05-24-2002, 01:35 PM
Pro

Re: so which would you pick?

Originally posted by AcDrvr54
i need help solving my problem...i am graduating soon and my parents have really been hassling me about making a decision so therefore i have narrowed down my choices to either a brand spankin new '03 TL-S (maybe i'll wait to see what '04 has to offer if it's not too long) or a used 99-00 Lex GS400. i know some of you may be biased because you drive a TL-S that's fine post your opinion anyway, but help me out on what i should do.
D@mn...graduating from High School or College?

I'd pick the GS4 BTW.
Old 05-24-2002, 01:53 PM
All Hail the Chief

Boy, I wish I were in that predicament coming out of school!!! Holy $hit!

You know what, the GS is my favorite car, but with the options you stated...I'd go for the new TL-S. It's powerful enough to where you wouldn't miss too much from the GS4. My only stipulation is that if you get the TL-S, GET THE NAVI. This would do it for me.

New vs. New, money not an option.....ha ha ha ha....read my GS400 badge in the dust son!
Old 05-24-2002, 03:49 PM
Intermediate

D@mn...graduating from High School or College?
high school baby...
Old 05-24-2002, 06:55 PM
Advanced

Hey they are both great cars. You will get way more props with the GS, whether they are warrented or not. For some reason most girls dont jock the TL. I would get the GS and put some sick wheels on it. You cant make a bad decision here, you lucky bastard.
Old 05-24-2002, 08:38 PM
Pro

TL.............i wanted the gs400 or a bmw540 (both used).....now after ive put some parts on my car, i dont regret getting the TL at all.....i'd rather have the TL now

2002 Aegean Blue TL Type S
AEM CAI
Eibach Pro-kit (2.2/1.8)
Neuspeed Strut Bar
OEM Body Kit
Dual HKS Drager Exhaust
Old 05-24-2002, 09:40 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by steveinathens
the guy has to know the truth, and also that's the FACT.
so choose carefully.
Old 05-25-2002, 09:41 AM
Instructor

I know this is 'off-topic' , but this problem is systemic to American society today.

A new car? I hope you are 'at least' graduating college. Congrats on that anyway. Why don't you just wait and spend Mommy and Daddy's money on something more worthwhile like a house or a condo that will appreciate (not depreciate) unlike a car. A 22 or 23 year old does not need these kind of cars unless they can afford the car on their own.

I guess Newsweek was right about Generation X and Y basically being 'breast fed' up into their 30's. 'X and Y' don't earn anything themselves. They expect their parents to buy them a car and provide 20% down on their first house, etc... Many of them even live with or later in their 20's move back in with their parents! There is little motivation for 'X and Y' of doing it on their own.
Old 05-25-2002, 11:09 AM
Pro

WHAT A HATER! get a house and a car =)
Old 05-25-2002, 11:42 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by MB-telecom
I guess Newsweek was right about Generation X and Y basically being 'breast fed' up into their 30's. 'X and Y' don't earn anything themselves. They expect their parents to buy them a car and provide 20% down on their first house, etc... Many of them even live with or later in their 20's move back in with their parents! There is little motivation for 'X and Y' of doing it on their own.
How true...for example, go to a typical "upscale" high school like Beverly Hills or just about any high school in Marin County, CA and count the number of late-model MB, BMW, Porsches in the student parking lot. Now, are you gonna tell me that all these kids worked their butts off so that they can drive these cars?
Old 05-25-2002, 11:54 AM
Instructor

go for the TL man, i had to make the same decision has you did, (but i bought my own car), i know if you were to drive a gs400 you would seem like a "baller" type dude, but think about it, your getting a used gs400. how would you feel if a brand new one pulled up next to you? and besides i wouldnt feel comfrotable driving something that already has used up, you dont know how the person who had it before was taking care of it. if i were you id just get a brand new TL Type-S w/navi and get the wings west body kit and youll be up there.

P.S now i think gs300/400's whatever, look like moving eggs, ugly cars IMO
Old 05-25-2002, 12:10 PM
Instructor

I've got almost 14k on my TLS. Two minor problems. Squeaky driver's seat and rattling sunshade. I'll get 'em fixed sometime. Otherwise, the TLS is one sweet ride.

BTW, did you notice that on this board you get both advice and lectures? I don't know you or your situation so I'll skip an unsolicited lecture and leave that to the resident sages. You might want to do a search on those who give the lectures before you accept their criticism.

lawman
Old 05-25-2002, 01:44 PM
4th Gear

About a month ago, my dad and me were choosing a new car. We had come up with the acura tl(s) and a used gs 300, which we both liked. My dad didnt see any sense in getting the gs4 and was not sure about the type s just becuase he didnt want to pay the extra money for the power u dont usually use unless u race all the time and try to get ahead of the next car.
We ended up with the gs3--it is just a much luxurious car(more roomy and doesn't feel small) and has the lexus reliablity(no known tranny issues )
The car is a beauty and me being 18 and driving a lexus is just an awesome experience. So if u get the gs400 you would definately love it for the speed and the luxury. Granted that it will be used but u will probably get it under warranty and be able to fix any problems you have, if any. Head over to the www.clublexus.com forum and check out the mods there. After getting the gs I remember getting into the tl and it just didnt feel as good. IMO get the gs!

ps--you headlights won't get stolen :p
Old 05-25-2002, 05:13 PM
Intermediate

Head over to the www.clublexus.com forum and check out the mods there
omg thank you i have been trying to find lexus forums forever to ask questions and whatnot much like i've been doing here. well at this point i think i'll go with the GS4, thanks for all your help. btw my parents are just helping me out with this purchase, i will be making the monthly payments and everything their names are solely on the registration just to keep insurance rates down.
Old 05-26-2002, 01:51 PM
Instructor

lawman - at least I 'prefaced' my comments as being off topic. You were saying nothing at all pal! I'll bet your parents paid for all of your college too.

lawman is scum and defends DUI DRIVERS! He defends people who CONSCIOUSLY drink and drive (unless the people you defend were 'forced' to drink - I'm sure you'd argue by genetic disposition - and then had a gun held to their head and were also forced to drive).

Making a living defending DUI drivers is as low as you can go. You are the lowest of the low as far as lawyers go. Lawyers like you will do anything to make a buck. If you were any good as a lawyer then you would practice another discipline you 'bottom scraper'. I'll bet not even 1 out of 10 of your clients is 'truly' innocent. You are as bad if not worse then your clients. I'd bet you sell your own mother if the price was right!
Old 05-26-2002, 02:37 PM
Cruisin'

whoa whoa

whoa whoa guyz calm down...I thought this was supposed to be a thread about the GS4 vs. the TL-S. If u guyz really want to battle it out.....at least let me be the referee ROUND 2 begin

oh btw....i would go with the TL-S....also look at the 330Ci bmw....altho they do get quite expensive
Old 05-26-2002, 02:42 PM
Advanced

Sure wish my parents had that kind of money

Definitely go with the GS, you can't go wrong with either car, but a GS400 is just an awesome machine.

Why don't you tell them to buy you the GS430? I'm sure it wouldn't hurt 'em.
Old 05-26-2002, 02:45 PM
Instructor

Never mind, you don't have to do any searches. Mr. Happy showed up.

lawman

P.S. MB: Does this mean we're not friends anymore? BTW, I guess you missed the post about my scholarship to Law School. And oh yeah, in the past I've defended people charged with murder, rape, armed robbery, kidnapping, drug possession .... you get the idea. I consider DUI defense a step up. I see you don't understand the concept of procedural due process.
Old 05-27-2002, 08:37 AM
Instructor

Somewhere along the way 'lawman' commom sense was lost by you. Lawyers like you most likely applaud 'procedural due process' that gets a STUPID old lady millions of dollars from McDonald's for spilling coffee on herself (due to her own carelessness). OJ also had 'procedural due process' and a MURDERER went free. Lawyers like you are the reason the system needs reform in many ways. Procedural due process is one thing; lacking common sense and twitsting the system in ways no ever dreamed are CRIMES in themselves. You sir just proved my point by mentioning 'procedural due process'. You obviously have the twisted, laywer mentality.
Old 05-27-2002, 11:20 AM
Instructor

MB, it's best to keep your musings to yourself and be thought a fool, than to share them and confirm everyone's suspicions. Or as Will Rogers would put it, everybody's ignorant, just on different subjects.

BTW, you do understand that you're the best free entertainment on the internet. Keep up the good work.

Oh yeah, choosing a TLS will never be a bad decision.

lawman

P.S. I apologize to all I've offended. Sometimes it's just fun to push my old buddy's buttons. I'll try to keep it to a minimum.
Old 05-28-2002, 08:13 AM
Instructor

What is the 'average' number of times you edit each one of your posts lawman? Give me some more quotes. I would like to hear some 'famous' Lawyer quotes actually...:p
Old 05-28-2002, 11:03 AM
Instructor

What is the 'average' number of times you edit each one of your posts lawman? Give me some more quotes. I would like to hear some 'famous' Lawyer quotes actually

Is that a hint of humor I detect (or is it just wishful thinking on my part)?

Answer: I try emulate my driving style and keep it under a hundred.

Quotes:

Definition of a liberal - a conservative who's been arrested.

Definition of a conservative - a liberal who's been mugged.

lawman
Old 05-31-2002, 07:10 AM
4th Gear

Damn. My first time on the forum, and already I get to see a catfight. Cool.

Seriously though, folks, I too am considering purchasing a TL-S in a month or so, and have come across this forum and immediately I see tranny failure posts. Could someone please give me the straight poop on this issue, or point me in the right direction so that I can learn more? We'll be replacing my wife's Civic. I have a '99 Miata that also comes with its own potential major engine failure, and i sure do not want to have another situation when I wonder if my car is going to fail due to a factory defect.

Thanks!

Anthony
Old 05-31-2002, 07:33 AM
Pro

Anthony,

There are hundreds of tranny posts on this site. I would suggest you use the recently resurrected 'Search' feature to get the complete picture.