So I didnt pass inspection.

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2004, 07:56 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy So I didnt pass inspection.

The mechanic told me the wear on both my back tires was next to nothing. I was pretty shocked to hear this b/c I told him that I changed all four tires at the same time (less than 2 yrs old), so I didnt know why the rears wore out quicker than the fronts (which have almost no wear at all)?!?!?!

I went and checked out the tread indicator on the rear tires and they were pretty bad (almost level), but I'm still baffled as to why they wore out quicker???

Does it have anything to do with the HR Sport drop on the car....maybe camber related???
Old 05-27-2004, 08:15 AM
Best in da Burgh

Originally Posted by bloo_tls02
The mechanic told me the wear on both my back tires was next to nothing. I was pretty shocked to hear this b/c I told him that I changed all four tires at the same time (less than 2 yrs old), so I didnt know why the rears wore out quicker than the fronts (which have almost no wear at all)?!?!?!

I went and checked out the tread indicator on the rear tires and they were pretty bad (almost level), but I'm still baffled as to why they wore out quicker???

Does it have anything to do with the HR Sport drop on the car....maybe camber related???

interesting....i have noticed the same thing on my ride but i haven't gotten it inspected yet this year (i have until dec.). i'll probably end up getting new tires before the fall but this baffels me. i'll keep you posted. my buddy owns a garage so i'll have him look at it before i get it inspected. he might have heard something or know something that we don't. later man
Old 05-27-2004, 08:17 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,080 Likes on 661 Posts
What's your tire rotation frequency? I can't imagine how or why the rears would wear out quicker on a FWD car. Confusing to say the least. Was the tread wear even across the tire?
Old 05-27-2004, 08:20 AM
Rock Star

i got lucky i was due for inspection 8/2004 and i just recieved in the the insperction exteneded to 2006 so thats great cuase my lease is over b4 then
Old 05-27-2004, 09:27 AM
TL-S driver

Originally Posted by NSXNEXT
What's your tire rotation frequency? I can't imagine how or why the rears would wear out quicker on a FWD car. Confusing to say the least. Was the tread wear even across the tire?
I was curious too. If the wear is not level and only on the outside or on the middle, your either underinflating or overinflating your tires. If it's even, then I have NO idea. My stock tires wore out in front fast then the backs because of the FWD.
Old 05-27-2004, 09:38 AM
Instructor

Did you get alignment done after dropping your car that low? Dropping can cause your tires to point inward at the top and outward at the bottom which increases tire wear.
Old 05-27-2004, 09:43 AM
2400 Watts in a TL...Why?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the H&R Sport drop will not need a camber kit typically because it stays within 1 degree of stock.. It could be that your rear tires are both sitting at, for an example use 0.9 degrees off on each tire..

The guys that did your alignment after your springs settled (hope you did that 2-3 weeks after the springs went in), could be with in specs (1 degree).. However if the camber is out 0.9 on both rear tires you will have uneven wear on your tires - and still "technically" not need a camber kit.. a camber kit might fix the uneven wear..
Old 05-27-2004, 09:45 AM
I'd rather be driving:

Maybe your rear toe-in is messed up? That'll scrub off tire tread evenly across the tire real quick!
Old 05-27-2004, 09:52 AM
Banned

[QUOTE=wonderboy]Did you get alignment done after dropping your car that low?QUOTE]

Yea and everything seemed fine when they did it.
The middle tread was was pretty even and I do get the tired balanced/rotated every other oil change.

Can someone go over the proper maintenace that should be done after dropping the car so I can figure out if I am I doing something wrong??
Old 05-27-2004, 10:05 AM
2400 Watts in a TL...Why?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
two to three weks after the springs go in, the car will settle.. you need the alignment done then to get rid of the / \ in the tires... what may have happened is your springs have settled a little more since your alignment was done. so the rear tires may have a slight / \, causing the uneven wear..

I have put H&R Sport springs in a few months ago, I am at home with a knee operation so I wasn't in any hurry to drive my car...I waited three and a half weeks after the springs went in before I got the alignment done. I didn't drive very much during that time though. If I had had to drive to work daily, I would have probably gotten the alignment done 2 weeks after the install. The car might settle a little more in the thrid week after the install.

Maybe your car has settled more since the alignment was done. I would suggest that to your mechanic and see what he says. It might be as simple as doing your alignment again.
Old 05-27-2004, 02:18 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
toe will wear out your tire way faster than camber. bad wear is often blamed on camber when in fact its usually toe thats off. as for why your rears are moe worn than teh front? its kinda hard to explain that on a fwd. are the insides completly worn out? or the whole tire