So how is your 2nd Gen doing?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2013, 10:11 AM
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by importvizion

now.......just realized cruise control not functioning, as of today. it engages for about 3 secs then just stops disables it on its own

Check near the side engine mount whether the cruise control unit is plugged in or not. You have to unplug it to do all the maintenance you mentioned earlier. This happened to me when my buddy replaced my side mount and forgot to plug in the cruise control unit. Passenger side, above the side mount.
Old 07-10-2013, 10:03 PM
still a Masshole

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
How ironic that I stumble upon this post yesterday and today tranny #3 dies. Just when I was thinking how good the car has been lately then BAM! what a pisser. This has to be the last straw. Been a good 12 year ride overall.
Old 07-11-2013, 07:32 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 784 Likes on 743 Posts
"rip"
Old 07-19-2013, 06:05 AM
still a Masshole

Well, after some haggling and working with Acura I got my tranny replaced again. Acura covered 90% of the costs. I am actually pretty happy with that considering the car has 156k miles and plenty of mods. The trade off of course is that I get an Acura tranny that could potentially die again. However, the last one lasted 100k+. My hope is next year to possibly buy a new car and keep the TL as a beater till it dies. All in all suburban Acura of Troy helped me make the case to Acura. Obviously it was in their best interest as well to get the business but the helped a ton.
Old 07-19-2013, 07:24 AM
Suzuka Master

Acura must really want to keep ya happy, so that ya buy that next new car from their dealership.
Old 07-19-2013, 08:01 AM
still a Masshole

probably, but wonder if they know I work at GM and my next car is probably going to be a GM car.
Old 07-19-2013, 01:55 PM
Suzuka Master

Hmmm, well if they keep ya happy, they know that you'll be back later after the GM car, ha...hah !!!

Plus, all your friends and relatives.
Old 11-23-2013, 01:07 AM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just bought a 00' TL-P three weeks ago. I've had an 89 Integra, a 93' Legend and my mom had a 96 RL, I have been happy with all those cars, so having just moved to CA I thought "why not get a gen 2 tl, I've always wanted one of those." Found one in nice shape for low book at a body shop, salvaged title for a small accident. I checked the frame and no damage to anything there, so I took it since the only thing they said they thought it needed was a timing belt and two tires. No check engine light at the time, so I put cash down on it and drove home with a huge smile on my face.

Less than 48 hours later I go to the city for dinner, gone for 45 minutes and somebody smashes the window in! Didn't take anything either. Fixed it myself for $112, so not too bad. Then the check engine and TCS warning lights come on and the car starts slipping into neutral and thunking back into gear. Pulled the code and its a P0740 traction control solenoid. After digging around on the forums a bit I now understand that this is like the red ring of death and its probable this tranny is nearing the end of its life. Which is unfortunate because I can't afford to get it fixed right away. Knock on wood I can find an accord or CL 6MT I can afford before it goes.

All that said, I absolutely love the car. Makes me remember why I like Acura so much. Rides smooth with 112k on it, turns in and holds a line well even with worn front tires. Its pretty quiet, but could use a little acoustic deadening, which is on the list below the laundry list of major maintenances it needs. That list goes something like this:

1. Address transmission - am going to try changing out the 3rd and 4th gear pressure sensors and it could also use a fluid change. No pressure flush planned. Hopefully that will buy the current transmission a little more time. I think its the original. Saving for an accord or CL 6MT, haven't decided which way to go just yet.

2. Timing belt, serpentine belt

3. There are a lot of smaller items - front brake pads, radiator cap (its not overheating but is spraying water all over the place), repair driver's seat wear and tear and rip in back seat, full fluids change. Think that should do her for a little while.

Its been three weeks and I'm already attached to this car. She needs a lot of work but hopefully after all that she'll run dependably for a while. Thirteen years on and its still a very nice car. If things go the way I hope, I plan to be her last owner. Never topped 200k but this one just might get me there...
Old 11-23-2013, 07:59 AM
Suzuka Master

Sure hope ya got a super good deal on the car if now looking at a bad tranny.
The '06>'07 Honda V6 tranny will be considerably cheaper than the CL 6 speed swap.

Try cleaning the solenoid screens along with a drain & fill to inspect the fluid condition and hopefully buy ya some time until ya locate a donor.

T-belt, fluids, tires and brakes also add up to some serious money unless ya can cut labor costs with DIY. They can wait a bit, but do something now about the coolant spraying all over the place.....otherwise ya risk serious engine damage due to overheating if driven low on coolant.

Ya gotta prioritize your issues and money on this "Love~Hate" type of relationship with any car.
Old 11-24-2013, 11:44 AM
Safety Car

Received 505 Likes on 378 Posts
My car is doing great, driving good, just washed and waxed it. Looks great also I might add.

But just did a seafoam treatment through the vac lines and cleaned the egr ports and throttle body. Now I am only getting 310 miles per tank instead of 350 usually. And engine clicks when idling. Checked everything over and only saw the side engine mount broken.

Small problem. But?
Old 11-24-2013, 04:47 PM
10th Gear

Lol thanks for the advice 3.2TLc. I've been in Europe for a year and haven't had a car in a couple, so I'm def glad to be back working on something. Forgot how stressful this can be.

I replaced the rad cap and cleaned up the mess. Trying the cheap aftermarket one, but if it starts leaking I'll switch the gasket to the OEM one and see if that works. Couldn't test it since the system wasn't holding pressure, but hopefully its still operable. NOT throwing that away. I never heard of an OEM rad cap over $100! Ridiculous price.

Checked the trans fluid and it was low, so I added some. Couldn't get Honda factory since Acura service is closed today, so I put a little bit of the Honda specific from O'reilly and the CEL went off. I don't trust it lol. So am planning on doing a 3x3 this coming week once I get a jack and some stands. I'll also try cleaning the solenoid screens. Thanks for the advice on that.

It really is too bad 06-07 Accord transmissions are so hard to find. I absolutely love this car so far and want her to be ok. I hear horror stories about being on like, the 10th transmission. I've had a legend and an RL and never any problems, transmission or otherwise. Wonder why this one seems to be so problematic and why it took Honda so damned long to address the design flaw...
Old 11-24-2013, 08:10 PM
10th Gear

Engine and tranny are going strong. Exterior needs a bit of work. Minor fixes here and there (engine mounts and such)

135k so far. Here's hoping for 200k+
Old 11-25-2013, 10:16 AM
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I just flipped 250,000 miles and I'm going strong.
2nd tranny - first one lasted 222k
New Starter at 240k
New Power Steering Pump at 235K
Replaced Cooling fan motor at 225K

Outside of that just normal maintenence. Last timing belt and water pump change was done at 217K. I am also getting ready to do upper control arms and outer tie rods.
I have done all of the work outside of the tranny and I have to say my TL still runs strong. I plan on trying to take it to 500K. The most impressive thing to me is that I drive between 3 - 4 thousand miles a month, and all in the city...not highway miles. I still get about 25 miles per gallon in town and the car has held up well. Take care of it and it will take care of you. In my opinion it is a well styled car so I'd rather keep it than buy something new. There are some really stupid looking cars on the road now...
Old 11-25-2013, 01:19 PM
9th Gear

2002 TL-P, almost 104k miles and still going strong. Only one owner; the car was actually my Mom's, and then my Dad's, and now mine. I need to change the timing belt pretty soon, probably this weekend. The motor on the back right window also died, so I need to install a new one. I just recently installed an AEM V2 Intake and it's been doing fine with my car since I've had it. Only other problems is the paint needs a touch up in some places, but other than that I've had no real issues with it, neither did my parents when they were using it.
Old 11-26-2013, 11:38 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Well, I'm going onto my 4th transmission now at 257K miles... (2000 TL)

88K - 1st Transmission on Acura's dime
180K - 2nd Transmission on my dime
255K - Replaced factory alternator (good life out of that)
257K - 3rd Transmission on the way out; getting a rebuild.

Everything else is normal maintenance items.
Old 11-26-2013, 01:20 PM
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Severin

"180K - 2nd Transmission on my dime" was this a rebuild of the original?
Old 11-26-2013, 06:05 PM
Suzuka Master

So, his original tranny lasted 88k, then the second went for 92k, and the present third one is going bad at 77k. Looks like about 85k on the average for life expectancy the way things were done so far.

IMO, It's time for a longer lasting option......swap to a low mileage '06>'07 Accord V-6 tranny for better durability then rebuilding !!!
Old 11-26-2013, 06:13 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by MrChanh
"180K - 2nd Transmission on my dime" was this a rebuild of the original?
The one from Acura was an Acura rebuilt. The one on my dime was a rebuild of the Acura rebuild before it.
I was honestly thinking of buying new, but $2K for a rebuild is a lot less expensive than car payments for a $40K car. I'll wait until the 2015 TLX is released and see what the options are then.
The Accord swap isn't necessary since I don't plan to keep the car past another 50K (I drive 20K+ a year). With the rebuild I'll get the 2 year warranty as well...
Old 11-26-2013, 06:22 PM
Suzuka Master

Yeah, $2000 is definitely better than a car payment to buy ya some time until the next car is bought. But, for most average folks....the Accord swap is a much better choice, IMO. Even if ya were to decide to keep your old TL for a beater, it may be worth considering the AV6......rather than rebuild a previously rebuilt and flawed tranny.
Old 11-27-2013, 03:22 AM
10th Gear

Bought my black '01 TL back in June 2011 with 187,000 miles on it. I had a bad feeling but there was only one previous owner who drove all highway and had a good record of maintenance, and the dealership threw in 4 brand new tires, all coming out to only about $5k so i took the deal haha. Right now it has 218,300 on it and it's running strong - I'm definitely running this baby to the ground, if that's even possible.

Since June '11 I've had to:
1) Regular oil changes (I get lazy with these, probably every 6-7k): $150
2) One HID bulb went out. I found a sketchy looking car parts place in Elk Grove CA and ended up paying $25...for two bulbs, thought I might as well replace both (by the way, it was a bitch to fix) Autozone was going to charge me $89 each! Say all you want, it's been a year and they still are extremely bright white.
3) Complete new A/C system - $800. Ouch. But hey - I use AC all the damn time.
4) Windshield wipers every winter: $70
And literally a week ago all these happened (my reason for posting on this thread)
5) Battery completely died. New one ~$130 + process of me calling 8 different dealerships to get my goddamn radio code since one was never taped into the glovebox or anywhere else in the vehicle.
6) Trans fluid getting pretty dark. Repair shop estimated me at $140, but I'm thinking of just buying 3 quarts Genuine honda ATF and doing a drain & fill. I've heard the 3x3 method can actually harm the tranny. 3 quarts off amazon will be around $30.
7) Serpentine belt is getting a few cracks. Estimated at $160 I believe. I would do it myself but I'm just getting into the DIY game and don't want to risk anything with this.

So, overall I've put 31k miles onto it in 2 years, with it now at $218K. Total repairs have costed me $1,365 which (i did the math, I was that bored) is about a buck and a half a day. Not too shabby, since besides the A/C it was all general upkeep. I knock on wood everyday about my tranny though, I've noticed some slipping ever since I bought it, but it's never gotten worse. I don't have the info on when the previous owner got his last one done (assuming he had to). Hoping the drain and fill will help with it though.

Though in the future I'm planning on:
1) Replacing all factory interior lights with LEDs (already have done the dome light)
2) Tinting windows
3) Cold Air Intake
4) New Exhaust
5) Fog lights and/or new running lights
6) Replacing my windshield wiper fluid system, the pump is fine but the hoses are all cracked and the heads are clogged to hell.

Overall couldn't be happier with my car. Super fast, fun to drive, and looks good.
Old 12-06-2013, 06:03 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Severin

Done. $1900 out the door for the tranny rebuild; 3 yr/36K warranty. Good for another 80K...
Old 12-06-2013, 06:26 PM
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts
Mine needs a timing belt and motor mounts. Badly.

I'd do it, but I simply have no money. :[
Old 12-11-2013, 12:46 PM
Three Wheelin'

2002 TL-S. 202k on the clock on 3rd tranny. Need new timing belt again and plan to do the engine mounts at the same time.
The front driver side window regular died a couple of months ago. Still shopping for cheap replacement part.
Other than that, the car has been running great !
Old 12-11-2013, 04:31 PM
Industrial Designer

Bought for 5k cash with 111,000 miles on the odo. Previous owner smoked and left burn marks in headliner and A-Pillar covers. Steering wheel center cap dented in. The passenger right door panel has separated a bit. Wheels were painted with black high temp engine paint and the calipers were painted gold and then white over that. Stock fog light housings were missing and previous owner replaced with aftermarket lights about 1'' x 2'', cutting off the factory sockets. The left map light button was missing after previous owner smashed it in. Dent in top edge of trunk door along with heavy road rash on wheels and large scratches on rear driver-side door, all from previous owner.

All of this is being slowly fixed. I have already re-installed the new fog lights and acid stripped the paint off the wheels. Aside from all that it runs great all I have ever done is changed cabin filters and oil and other necessary fluids. I have 130k miles going strong.

Engine/Drivetrain Modifications: Stock/Original....Transmission Replaced under Manufacturer Warranty (blue mark near bolt)
Suspension Modifications: Stock/Original
Wheels/Tires Modifications: Stock/Original Wheels (Removed black paint)
Brand new Dunlop Singature II Tires
Interior/Exterior Modifications: Tan Interior/Noble Green & Gold Emblem Package, Factory Spoiler, Removed 6-Disc CD Changer for Alpine Head Unit, removed factory gold pin striping. Tan leather sew-on steering wheel cover from Ebay.
Old 12-19-2013, 10:44 AM
8th Gear

Bought for 6.4k last summer with 114k and a rebuilt trans. From the start I was thoroughly impressed considering I previously drove a '98 4AT Accord LX, so right off the bat the MSRP reflects that the TL is twice the car the Accord was ever meant to be. I was floored by the handling, although that is expected in this level of car. It's been pretty pricey recently with the timing belt, motor mounts, fuel line break which included towing and repair (not really the car's fault), new xenon bulbs, one new ballast, and countless hours of working on it while installing the aftermarket stereo, but overall, I'm really impressed with the car and I can confirm now that I want to drive it past 200k. Everything listed above is going to keep the car going, so as long as the transmission holds, from here on out it should be relatively cheap to run (I presume) from 135k now to 200k sometime in the future. This engine still blows my mind as to how smoothly it runs. I'm used to the 4 banger and the rough idle that came with it, but if I'm not paying attention and I don't have the A/C on, the TL feels like it isn't running, even while in the drivers seat. The smooth idle along with smooth highway cruising speeds (2500RPM at 90 also blows my mind) compared to the 3kRPM at 80 in that Accord. Great car, I think I'll keep it as long as it wants to run. Plus, with the huge investment that is the sound system, I have no desire to drive anything else.
Old 12-26-2013, 12:17 PM
5th Gear

I got my 99 tl in November of '12 with 110k miles with a fairly good 1 year warranty. I now have 123k mi on it.Here is what has had to be done:
Power steering pump replaced
Tranny rebuilt
Engine mount replaced
Steering rack and pinion replaced
Tires replaced
Brakes rotated
Old 12-26-2013, 06:23 PM
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Recently had my first check engine light in 5 years, currently at 129K miles. Was the fuel Evap system, replaced the charcoal canister & solenoid after confirming the gas cap was good. These items are starting to fail on cars of this age. Can't complain since they lasted over 10 years in this climate.

First car I have owned which the oil level is still at the full mark after driving 5,000 miles. Replaced front & side engine mounts a year ago, was an easy job.

Transmission replaced at 55K miles with Acura updated unit at no charge back in 2010, changed the transmission fluid every 20-30K miles with Honda DW-1 since and no problems - yet. Complete timing belt/accessory belt/WP service done at 80K. Replaced plugs with NGK Iridium IX at 90K miles.

Car runs & looks like new, even in WI!

Last edited by 03TLS4me; 12-26-2013 at 06:35 PM.
Old 12-26-2013, 08:22 PM
Safety Car

Received 505 Likes on 378 Posts
Driving in Wisconsin is even better with a front wheel driving car plus some nice all season or winter tires.
Old 12-26-2013, 10:58 PM
2003 TL

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts
F'in had to sell mine to move 500 miles to Chicago

Old 12-26-2013, 11:36 PM
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts
Was in PA last week right after a blizzard. First time driving the TL in the snow- it did so well, about on par with the 1999 Grand Cherokee 4x4 I used to drive. For what I was driving on anyway, no doubt that the Grand Cherokee would do 100x better in deep snow.

Last edited by Yikes; 12-26-2013 at 11:41 PM.
Old 12-27-2013, 09:08 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 176 Likes on 136 Posts
Car is riding smooth! Just rolled over 207K over the holidays. I have to get a CEL checked as it popped on last night, but all seems well while driving still...
Old 12-29-2013, 06:27 PM
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Got my 2002 TL-S in May with 155,000 miles. Drove it from Toledo, Ohio to Davenport, Iowa so I could start my summer internship with John Deere. Drove it around Iowa all summer and then back to Toledo. I've been driving it across Ohio back and forth to go to school and come home on Holidays. 8 months and 5,000 miles later I have to say I'm in love. The only issue i've had since owning the car was a right front wheel bearing. I just installed a CAI and new fogs in a matte black housing. Couldn't be happier, and to think I almost got a 2005 legacy 2.5I.