smoked lenses?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2002, 10:47 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
smoked lenses?

first... are smoked lenses made for front and back of the TLs? i was told by a friend that were illegal.. but i just saw a commercial for chevy impala... and it has smoked lenses.

and if they aren't made.. is it possible to get them done?
Old 01-15-2002, 11:48 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: smoked lenses?

Originally posted by chrism7855
first... are smoked lenses made for front and back of the TLs? i was told by a friend that were illegal.. but i just saw a commercial for chevy impala... and it has smoked lenses.

and if they aren't made.. is it possible to get them done?
Don't go by what you see on TV. Most car commercials (at least performance-oriented ones) show the cars with waaaaaay darker than legal tint on *all* the windows (including the windshield) to make the car appear more sporty. That's because they want you to concentrate on looking at the outer design (and get brainwashed into product recognition) instead of trying to figure out if it's a guy or some chick driving. When they show the vehicle parked you see this the most.

As for legality of smoked lenses, it varies state to state. In MA, you can run as dark as you want for headlight lenses *only* during the time that the headlights are not needed. So if you only drive during the day, go nuts. Otherwise you'll need something that clips on or is removable because you'll need perfectly clear lenses at night. In MA, taillights can never have smoked lenses. Why? The smoke reduces light output and DOT requirements for lumens and candlepower of tail lamps and (especially) brake lamps are very strict. If you hinder that in any way it is illegal. Even those Dodge Ram trucks running around with the Ram logo set over the tail lens are illegal in MA (although I see them everywhere).