Sluggish Start from Dead Stop (2003 Acura TL)

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2023, 06:36 PM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sluggish Start from Dead Stop (2003 Acura TL)

I have recently noticed the D5 light blinking and I scanned the computer and got codes P0505 and P0763. I am taking my vehicle to the mechanic for a diagnosis this week. Another issue that I have been having and I am wondering if it is related is that the car is very sluggish from a dead stop. It idles fine and once I get it up to speed it drives just fine but it doesn't even roll forward a little bit when I take my foot off the break at a stop light and I have to press the gas pedal down farther than normal just to get it moving. Any ideas on what might be the issue would be greatly appreciated.
Old 05-24-2023, 02:17 AM
Pro

Received 196 Likes on 169 Posts
Idle Air Control Valve (IACV) on the bottom of the throttle body. If that has an issue the initial movement from a dead start will be affected.
Old 05-25-2023, 08:06 AM
5th Gear

Thank you.

Update I took this car to the mechanic and they drained the transmission fluid and it was filthy and burnt and they found lots of metal shards. They will replace the solenoids that are damaged but most likely the entire transmission will need to be replaced. I just bought this car a few days ago and was told explicitly that the transmission and engine were in perfect condition. Will not be buying a used car again for a very long time.
Old 05-25-2023, 09:15 AM
USAF Veteran

Received 70 Likes on 58 Posts
Did you buy it from a private party or a dealership? Did you respond to an ad or did you find it with some other method?

The point being was the condition of the transmission expressed verbally, or is it in writing somewhere (like in the ad/listing)?
Old 05-25-2023, 02:15 PM
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by gstreet
Thank you.

Update I took this car to the mechanic and they drained the transmission fluid and it was filthy and burnt and they found lots of metal shards. They will replace the solenoids that are damaged but most likely the entire transmission will need to be replaced. I just bought this car a few days ago and was told explicitly that the transmission and engine were in perfect condition. Will not be buying a used car again for a very long time.
Just take the next car to your mechanic before you buy. If the seller wont let you, or wont let you bring your mechanic to car, then walk away from sale.

Depending on how you purchased this vehicle, there are lemon laws in some states that could help you out. Good Luck
The following users liked this post:
Jon M (05-26-2023)
Old 05-25-2023, 08:47 PM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by Saudade
Did you buy it from a private party or a dealership? Did you respond to an ad or did you find it with some other method?

The point being was the condition of the transmission expressed verbally, or is it in writing somewhere (like in the ad/listing)?

The condition was expressed verbally (many times). I am not a car expert but I had my mechanic uncle on the phone as I did my own inspection of the car. I previously had the first gen model of this car as well so I had some idea of things to look for. It is not something I think that could have been discovered without having and actual mechanic there or bringing it to a shop. Unfortunately I live in the middle of nowhere and I had to take public transport + rent a car just to view this vehicle.
Old 05-25-2023, 08:52 PM
5th Gear

Update:

After replacing the solenoids the mechanic was able to shift the gears and drive the car properly with no issues. However they mention this can only be done in the manual mode. They have recommended that I take it to the nearest acura dealer and possibly have the computer flashed. This is because the errors codes will not disappear and the computer won't allow the car to shift out of 5th gear in automatic. It sounds like they think the transmission is likely okay. Still some hope here will see what the Acura dealer says.
Old 05-26-2023, 12:11 AM
Pro

Received 196 Likes on 169 Posts
Really agree with Davius. If the car only drives in the manual mode it is not long for continuing to operate. Manual mode increases the internal fluid pressure, operating only in manual would indicate that the tranny and probably the TC are almost gone. You should investigate getting your money back. The car will need a tranny rebuild or a swap. Sorry for you having such a bad experience it happens all too often.
Old 05-26-2023, 03:10 PM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by Jon M
Really agree with Davius. If the car only drives in the manual mode it is not long for continuing to operate. Manual mode increases the internal fluid pressure, operating only in manual would indicate that the tranny and probably the TC are almost gone. You should investigate getting your money back. The car will need a tranny rebuild or a swap. Sorry for you having such a bad experience it happens all too often.
Yeah I am in the process of trying to salvage this as much as possible. I called the dealer the day after I bought the car when I just noticed things were off and they hung up on me and blocked my calls. I have been researching lemon laws in VA where I am located and it doesn't seem like I can do much seeing as I had no witness to their verbal claims and there is no warranty.