Slotted Rotors in Winter?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2005, 10:00 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Slotted Rotors in Winter?

My rotors are currently warped because everytime I brake the whole car shakes. How can I tell which rotors? My plan is to change them all to slotted rotors. Will I need to change my pads as well? EBC Greenstuff is the way to go? Also, is it recommended to have them when this cars endures winter season? Will they rust? What type do you recommend, Rotora?

Thanks for all the feedbacks in advance.

JQ.
Old 05-31-2005, 10:19 PM
boo

Usually the fronts are the ones to warp. The rears hardly hold any braking power so it will be fine. It just looks nicer lol. Dont worry about winter they will be fine.
Old 05-31-2005, 10:24 PM
Sig Rho's Finest

like benzo d, the front usually warp but if your gonna upgrade to slotted you should do all 4 at the same time. if you use th stock pads, the rotors will tear them up in a heartbeat. EBC is a great pad, it is what i have and i have no complaints.

rusting rotors? its gonna happen. make sure the rotors have been coated in zinc before you put them on. thats the only way you can ensure they wont rust
Old 05-31-2005, 10:50 PM
Race Director

Received 277 Likes on 161 Posts
rusted rotors? only if u r planning on driving thur the whole winter where water and salt stick to yer rotos without a carwash...A good brand will not rust, my Rotoras are fine thru the weather of NYC.

By the way, the mystery of Zinc Coated rotors, yes, this is done, to prevent from rusting during storage....not driving... remember, when u install new rotors, u must wash them thoroughly with soap till a little reddish rust appears? then u can install them, so u wash the coating right off.
Old 05-31-2005, 11:22 PM
Dragging knees in

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by TeknoKing
rusted rotors? only if u r planning on driving thur the whole winter where water and salt stick to yer rotos without a carwash...A good brand will not rust, my Rotoras are fine thru the weather of NYC.

By the way, the mystery of Zinc Coated rotors, yes, this is done, to prevent from rusting during storage....not driving... remember, when u install new rotors, u must wash them thoroughly with soap till a little reddish rust appears? then u can install them, so u wash the coating right off.

This is correct. The so-called rust-proof coating is done in order to prevent rusting in storage and transit, to ensure that they will look nice and shiny when delivered to the buyer.

As soon as you start driving, the pads will wear off the coating on the contact patch. It's not done in order to prevent rusting during their life cycle.

My Rotora BBK and rear slotted rotors show rust spots when the car is not driven for a while. But those go away after I start driving. On the hubs, well, you just have to make sure to buy a reputable brand to reduce the chances of the hubs rusting. Mine are fine for now, but I've only had them on for like a month.

FFWD -- if your steering wheel vibrates under braking, then it's your front brakes that are warped. If you are feeling vibrations throughout the car, on your butt through the seat, then it's the rear rotors.

Make sure to change pads AND rotors at the same time.
Old 06-01-2005, 03:31 PM
Racer

hey

i just installed my rotora slotted and cross drilled rotors in the front with ebc greenstuff pads last night. hit me up if u wanna know how they are doing
Old 06-01-2005, 04:18 PM
Sig Rho's Finest

hmmm, that makes sense. i have the rotora slotted rotors and my hubs are rusted. i hate the way it lookd
Old 06-01-2005, 06:18 PM
Dragging knees in

Originally Posted by NYZGREATST
hmmm, that makes sense. i have the rotora slotted rotors and my hubs are rusted. i hate the way it lookd
Repaint them.
Old 06-01-2005, 06:25 PM
Race Director

Received 277 Likes on 161 Posts
speaking of hubs, do they sell painted hubs? (im lazy to paint all of that)
Old 06-01-2005, 09:18 PM
Burning Brakes

Check out IRotors. They are #1 choice over at AcuraInspired Forums. In regards to the GreenStuffs, I have heard that they make alot of brake dust. Generally, staying with OEM pads works well from what I've read.
Old 06-01-2005, 09:26 PM
Dragging knees in

Originally Posted by Mike_McCready
Check out IRotors. They are #1 choice over at AcuraInspired Forums. In regards to the GreenStuffs, I have heard that they make alot of brake dust. Generally, staying with OEM pads works well from what I've read.
iRotors warp. And EBC Greenstuff doesn't make as much brake dust as, say, Axxis Ultimates. One time I washed my car while I was at home, and drove back to school. In all of 2 hours, my front wheels were black again. I fucking hate Axxis Ultimates.
Old 06-01-2005, 09:29 PM
Dragging knees in

Originally Posted by TeknoKing
speaking of hubs, do they sell painted hubs? (im lazy to paint all of that)
What kind of rotors do you have now? Unless they are 2-piece rotors, you won't be able to just get new hubs.
Old 06-01-2005, 10:27 PM
"Here Come The Bulls!"

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I recall an older forum detailing this question in length. Apparently the concencus seemed to be that only a BBK from Rotora would do the job and not warp. BTW nice Avatar Rob.