Single Tip vs Dual Tip Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2000 | 07:15 PM
Pro

Exclamation Single Tip vs Dual Tip Exhaust

Hey since our Dual muffler Exhaust really isnt a true dual system. (it just splits with a Y pipe). What do you fellas think of just a single tailpipe?

If I were to go this route (its all just speculative right now.) I could get away with a bigger tip. Not that bigger is better, but I got behind my car today, and sorta closed one eye and covered up the left exhaust from my viewpoint, and it looked allright, but the exhaust tip was way too small.

Single Tip is more sporty IMO. IS300/Altezza/Integra Type R/Civic Type R.

And Dual Tip/muffler is more luxury: GS400, SC400, S500.

See what I mean? seeing as we're more or less on that border, we'd have a choice which route to pick.

Sometimes I see a much bigger tip than mine on another car, but its only a single, and it looks fine, but put a tip that big on both of our exhausts, and it'd look just silly.

Of course if I ever did this, I'd take the rear bumper skirt to a body shop to have that little nitch for the exhaust filled in. It'd look much cleaner that way, and it would be plain silly if it wasn't.

------------------
Kenny
TL
Old 12-27-2000 | 07:17 PM
OG

Why don't you just make the exhaust come out from the center of the vehicle? You can have the body shop cut a hole in the middle of the rear bumper and have the exhaust tip stick out from there. You will just have one straight pipe, no bends to the sides

------------------
Honda-Acura.net TL Forum Moderator.

1999 Silver with factory body kit, spoiler and burlwood instrument cluster and shift knob. Joshua Tree Wood dash kit. Hella air horns. Tint all around. Razo competition pedals. MOMO Sport 18"X7.5" with 225/40ZR Pirelli P7000SS. Weapon-R intake. Comptech springs, exhaust and headers. Inspire Tailights, homemade ram-air and Polarg M-12 front turn signals. Comptech front and rear sway bar. Axxis Metal Master front and rear pads.

My AcuraTL Homepage

NEW: '01 Acura MDX Silver Premium

Front 35% tinted windows. Running boards. Roof rack. Tailgate deflector. Moonroof visor. Rear mud guards. Razo premium white headlight bulbs. Matriz ion yellow fog light bulbs(courtesy of Snook). More to come later......

Acura-MDX.com Forum Moderator

Old 12-27-2000 | 07:21 PM
Pro

Accord Coupe R look.... Hehehehe, I dunno, it'd be too... Porsche Boxter-ish. Center exhaust is really only for exotics... or A-mod Autocrossers.
Old 12-27-2000 | 08:12 PM
Senior Moderator

How 'bout 3?

------------------
Acura-TL.com - Forum Moderator

'99 TL Satin Silver/Ebony, Non/Nav, Comptech lowered, Comptech Air Filter Element, Inspire Tails, AEM Brake Pads all around, Comptech Axle Back Exhaust, "Guy Smiley" doll on the dash as my Co-driver...

Pics of my TL
Pics of my Miata! Wadya think?
Old 12-27-2000 | 08:23 PM
Pro

people pay top bills to have dual...and you wanna pay to go back to one?????? why...
throw 3" tips on your exhaust...and you'll be done...
but truley... i'd go w/quad... like on the second page of the gallery... I LOVE IT...
Old 12-27-2000 | 10:28 PM
Drifting

Having three tips is outrageous. Double dual tips are kinda cool though.
Old 12-27-2000 | 10:39 PM
Advanced

Thumbs up

Originally posted by F=ma:

Single Tip is more sporty IMO. IS300/Altezza/Integra Type R/Civic Type R.

And Dual Tip/muffler is more luxury: GS400, SC400, S500.

notice how all single tips have lower displacement than the dual tips. i think that dual exhaust looks nice. ITR and CTR can't have dual because with such a low displacement, there will be too much pressure loss. although Y pipe isn't a true dual exhaust like other cat-backs such as GS300, it's still better than nothing. less restrictive exhaust flow even at the split point.
Old 12-27-2000 | 10:39 PM
AC
Drifting

Originally posted by Shoofin'TL:
How 'bout 3?

Man that's PIMP!!! I'm gonna get another Greddy muffler and stick it in the middle. Do you guys think it will fit?

J/K!!!! Man that's GHETTO as hell. It's too f*cked up to be considered Rice, just straight up GHETTO!!!!!

------------------
2000 TL Taffeta White
Factory Body Kit and Spoiler
18' DAZZ MATIZ
Tenzo 700X Fogs
Custom Mesh Grille
Custom Mesh Bumper Center
Comptech Headers
Comptech Springs
Comptech Sway Bars
AEM CAI
Greddy CatBack Exhaust
Inspire Tails
Inspire Steering Wheel
Burlwood Knob
Apexi V-AFC
Old 12-27-2000 | 10:41 PM
AC
Drifting

Oh, just noticed this fool has Virginia tags. I hope I run into him someday so I could let him know how retarded his ride looks. I guess it's kinda like adding TypeR on our cars, you know, that extra mental HP!!

------------------
2000 TL Taffeta White
Factory Body Kit and Spoiler
18' DAZZ MATIZ
Tenzo 700X Fogs
Custom Mesh Grille
Custom Mesh Bumper Center
Comptech Headers
Comptech Springs
Comptech Sway Bars
AEM CAI
Greddy CatBack Exhaust
Inspire Tails
Inspire Steering Wheel
Burlwood Knob
Apexi V-AFC
Old 12-27-2000 | 10:52 PM
Advanced

i've seen 4 tips on each side, DTM style, on both sides. Total 8 tips...

\__OOOO__________OOOO__/
\_| || |__________| || |_/
Old 12-27-2000 | 10:59 PM
Pro

Thumbs up

the sticker should say "your" instead of "my" on that guy's car.
Old 12-28-2000 | 04:04 AM
Burning Brakes

Uhhh, people pay good money to make one into two, I think you're just trying to change your car for the sake of change.

This reminds me of the member who removed the diffusers from his HIDs, thus rendering a nice piece of engineering less effective.

If you're gonna go through with it, it will look better if you re-do the rear apron so you don't have an empty hole where the pipe used to be.

Also, remember that you will be pushing exhaust thru one muffler where there used to be two, which can't be good for much except maybe making the car sound different.

A quote from a senior designer at Acura pegged him as saying he had to pull a lot of strings to get the dual exhaust in the budget, so you'll break this guy's heart if he ever sees your car!

------------------
'01 White Diamond Pearl 3.2TL
-Wing, tint, burlwood shift, Whistler 6-band
'88 White RX-7 Convertible
-Permanent tinitus courtesy of Rockford-Fosgate
Old 12-28-2000 | 07:01 AM

There is a guy here using Single tip on TL about a year ago. It looks alright, but loud. So i would say....
Old 12-28-2000 | 08:19 AM
Pro

Exclamation

Okay guys, about the displacement issue, the IS300 is a 3 liter, and its a single muffler, so that issue is thrown out the window.

Hey Gomez:
If you're gonna go through with it, it will look better if you re-do the rear apron so you don't have an empty hole where the pipe used to be.

If you'll read the original post again, I already said that I would do exactly that.

Hit a bird with a stone before the bird ever started flying.

, I think you're just trying to change your car for the sake of change.

And so tell us, do we all buy spoilers because of their added downforce past 90 mph? or cross drilled rotors because we do so much 110-40 mph stopping repeatedly as if we were in an endurance race? or buy neon lights for our stereo system (because they provide adequate lighting? No... incandescent light is the most efficient form of light for normal lighting situations) or why we put a body kit on our car when we don't even know if it has any positive aerodynamic effect at all.

I say those are all changing the car for the sake of change. As you so love to call it. Am I wrong?

btw Post # 1000, B*tches.

------------------
Kenny
TL
Old 12-28-2000 | 10:37 AM
Advanced

Interesting Kenny....

personally, I've always associated dual tips with performance and single tips with luxury!

Go fig...
Old 12-28-2000 | 01:57 PM
Drifting

what's ugly is when the tips are pointing down.

I saw a 'Vette with SIX tips!
Old 12-28-2000 | 03:23 PM
Burning Brakes

Do what you will, Uncle Ben...

------------------
'01 White Diamond Pearl 3.2TL
-Wing, tint, burlwood shift, Whistler 6-band
'88 White RX-7 Convertible
-Permanent tinitus courtesy of Rockford-Fosgate
Old 12-28-2000 | 06:08 PM
Instructor

I'm not sure about the dual tips idea. I think it'd look a little funky on the car.
Large single tip would look "Rice Burnerish"

The style which our cars come have a refined, classy look to it. Lowering the car will give it the aggresive stance.

The exhausts which are out on the market now are pretty clean...
Old 12-28-2000 | 07:29 PM
Safety Car

Schweeeet!

------------------
Alumapro BP-10, ZX400TI Phoenix Gold, Python 1500 ESP (remote start, all windows up & down, sunroof closes, prox, etc), burlwood dash kit and shift knob, factory spoiler and body kit, Inspire tails, Polarg M-12 front signals, super bright blue alarm LEDs, Mugen grill w/ custom mesh.
------------------
packinthemacinthebackoftheacpackinthemacinthebacko ftheacpackinthemacinthebackoftheaaaaaaaaaaacpackin themacinthebackoftheac.
Old 12-28-2000 | 07:53 PM
Senior Moderator

Shtoooopid!
Ed

------------------

'99 TL Satin Silver/Ebony, Non/Nav, Comptech lowered, Comptech Air Filter Element, Inspire Tails, AEM Brake Pads all around, Comptech Axle Back Exhaust, "Guy Smiley" doll on the dash as my Co-driver...

Pics of my TL
Old 12-28-2000 | 08:16 PM
Drifting

I like it.

I predict this thread will be closed any minute now.
Old 12-28-2000 | 08:35 PM
Pro

Why don't some one photo shop a pic with the single exhaust with what ever diameter tips on it. See how that looks and then decide.
It may look sweet or it may not.

------------------
2000 Fire Pepper Red/ebony TL, non-navi. factory spoiler, std chrome wheels, 35% tint, comptech exhaust, wood trim kit...
Quiets ride

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">[This message has been edited by QUIETSTORMMVN_IN on December 28, 2000 @ ]</font>

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">[This message has been edited by QUIETSTORMMVN_IN on December 28, 2000 @ ]</font>
Old 12-28-2000 | 09:17 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by QUIETSTORMMVN_IN:
Why don't some one photo shop a pic with the single exhaust with what ever diameter tips on it. See how that looks and then decide.
It may look sweet or it may not.

I like his idea. Do that, Photoshop people?

------------------

2001 Acura 3.2TL w/ Navi Black ext. Ebony int., Sunroof Visor,
35% Smoke Metallic Tint, Burlwood Shiftknob and more to come!

Stereo System Coming!
Old 12-28-2000 | 09:26 PM
RWD convert

I love that TL with the Quad exhaust. I might have a quad exhaust put on tommorow.

------------------
2000 Satin Silver/Ebony TL
-AEM Short Ram intake
-Neuspeed sport springs
-Acura Wing
-Acura Moonroof visor(coming)
-Custom Mesh grill
-Custom "Sleepy Eye" Headlight finishers
-3.5" Pilot MS exhaust tips
-20%/35% Llumar Platinum tint
-Ractive Carbon Fiber Shift knob
-Carbon/aluminum pedals
-Passport 7500 Radar system
_ _ _ _ _ ____ _ _ _ _ _
Old 12-28-2000 | 11:37 PM
Senior Moderator

There's a dude in my area driving around with a TL with double tips on his car.. LOOKS STUPID! He has stock exhaust, and the tips are hanging low, and its too big for the cutout on the bumper, so it really looks retarded. JMO..
Ed

------------------

Pics of my TL
Old 12-28-2000 | 11:42 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by Shoofin'TL:
There's a dude in my area driving around with a TL with double tips on his car.. LOOKS STUPID! He has stock exhaust, and the tips are hanging low, and its too big for the cutout on the bumper, so it really looks retarded. JMO..
Ed

Interestingly, I've seen one in Boston too, but I can't remember wheter it's a NY plate.

Old 12-29-2000 | 03:08 PM
Instructor

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I like it.

I predict this thread will be closed any minute now.

_____

I stand corrected. I've never seen that before. That's hella dope!