Significant Oil Leak

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2004, 10:55 AM
Yada, Yada, Yada

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Significant Oil Leak

Update to my earlier post - dropped my car off for tranny recall and other nagging problems----

Dealer tells me today that they found a significant oil leak and they are going to need to keep my car for a couple of days :shit: I'm really concerned because they said they have not really seen this before on a TL?????!!! No news on the tranny, but this doesn't give me the warm and fuzzy
Old 08-04-2004, 12:02 PM
Instructor

Did u notice any oil leak before u dropped off the car with them//Is there any oil on ur driveway. Don't take their word for it because they could have broken something and try to get u to foot the bill. Don't know what type of relationship u have with ur dealership, but never trust them. Some of them will do anything to make a profit.
Old 08-04-2004, 01:10 PM
Yada, Yada, Yada

I did notice some spots on the floor of my garage, but I thought maybe it was the oil filter, that's where it seemed to be coming from.

The update is that they called me back and told me there is actually a leak where the transmission meets the engine. They cleaned it up and put it back together and don't see any more leaking. They wanted to keep it, have the tech drive it home and take another look tomorrow. I said no, I don't want a tech driving my car home. So, they asked me to drive it alot this weekend and bring it back on tuesday. We will see, but I'm not too thrilled. The car only has 18,000 miles!
Old 08-05-2004, 08:10 AM
Yada, Yada, Yada

I have my car back. They replaced the rotors and pads due to warping. They inspected my transmission and put on the oil jet fix. They could not detect the source of my oil leak, only noting that the leak comes from between the tranny and the engine. I have to drive it around and they will look at it again on tuesday.

They didn't have time to look at the gas pedal, any of you guys know what the source of a vibration in the gas pedal under light acceleration might be?

Thanks,
Old 08-10-2004, 02:51 PM
Yada, Yada, Yada

Update

Car went back to dealer today. I no longer think its leaking oil, I think it might be tranny fluid. It has been there all day today and no call from them yet. I'm not feelin' good here.

They did give me a TSX loaner car. Not too bad, but they should have put the Accord V6 in it.
Old 08-11-2004, 07:33 AM
ChairmanMaoSaysRTFM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by SMF-TLS
Car went back to dealer today. I no longer think its leaking oil, I think it might be tranny fluid. It has been there all day today and no call from them yet. I'm not feelin' good here.

They did give me a TSX loaner car. Not too bad, but they should have put the Accord V6 in it.
agreed, it's a little underpowered for my taste. especially considering it's supposed to be a high(er) end car. sorry about the problems you were having though. good luck.

SSTS
Old 08-11-2004, 09:55 AM
Banned

Never heard of any Honda cars having any oil leaks. You only hear Ford or Dodge products having these problems.

Update to my earlier post - dropped my car off for tranny recall and other nagging problems----

Dealer tells me today that they found a significant oil leak and they are going to need to keep my car for a couple of days :shit: I'm really concerned because they said they have not really seen this before on a TL?????!!! No news on the tranny, but this doesn't give me the warm and fuzzy
Old 08-11-2004, 12:17 PM
Yada, Yada, Yada

Originally Posted by MADCAT
Never heard of any Honda cars having any oil leaks. You only hear Ford or Dodge products having these problems.

You're right MADCAT, this is my fifth Honda product and first leak. Also - the dealer basically told me that they never see anything like this. They seem pretty concerned which is what makes me even more worried.
Old 08-11-2004, 01:42 PM
Racer

My car also appears to leak between the engine and tranny, not severely, but enough to attract some dirt and grime to the area. Not sure what it is, but I check the tranny fluid and oil levels regularly just to be safe.
Old 08-11-2004, 02:58 PM
Yada, Yada, Yada

Supposedly Fixed

I just got off the phone with service.

The conclusion is that I had a leaky rear main seal. After replacement and putting 45 miles on it today, the leak did not repeat. It was definitely tranny fluid. They want me to bring it back in a week to take another look at it.

Other fixes on this trip:

- tranny recall done (leak existed before recall done)
- replaced warped rotors and pads
- replaced throttle cable to alleviate some of gas pedal vibration

- they say that the gas pedal vibration is normal for TYPE S cars. Any of you guys with a Type S, if you are driving about 20-45 with light pressure on gas pedal, do you get a vibration from the pedal?

I will keep you posted if any thing else comes out of the leak.

Thanks Guys!

:cheer: So happy to get my car back, after 2 days of the TSX, I'm glad I bought my TL-S, I just hope the problem is done. TSX interior had nice guages, but otherwise looked pretty cheap and no power.
Old 08-11-2004, 05:33 PM
On the way!

I had a rear main seal go out on me while I was driving on a business trip. It was bad enough that I felt I had to get my car towed due to burning oil smell. It turns out that I only lost about 1/2 quart though.

Ever since then I decided to stick with 5w20 oil (was using 5w30) to help lower the oil line pressure a bit. It may not make a bit of difference, but I feel better about it.

BTW - I have a Type S and don't have a pedal vibration as you describe it.
Old 08-11-2004, 10:47 PM
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by fla-tls
I had a rear main seal go out on me while I was driving on a business trip. It was bad enough that I felt I had to get my car towed due to burning oil smell. It turns out that I only lost about 1/2 quart though.

Ever since then I decided to stick with 5w20 oil (was using 5w30) to help lower the oil line pressure a bit. It may not make a bit of difference, but I feel better about it.

BTW - I have a Type S and don't have a pedal vibration as you describe it.
How much did it run you to repair the rear main seal. I hear that is quite expensive.
Old 08-11-2004, 10:58 PM
2Poor 2Furious

Yeah can you describe the vibration. I have a TL-P and I think I feel something funny coming through the pedal too. Any reason why it's a TL-S thing only?
Old 08-12-2004, 07:54 AM
Yada, Yada, Yada

The vibration only happens when driving between 20-45 mph, with very light throttle pressure. You can also feel it sometimes when idling and you first just put your foot on the gas pedal.

They say they drove 2 other TYPE-S (which they have 2 on the lot) and verified it was the same. It is a little better with the new throttle cable. Also - overnight in my garage, no leaks from the tranny.
Old 08-12-2004, 08:15 AM
Just agree and go away...

I have had my Type S for 2 years now and haven't felt any vibrations from the pedal... sorry I can't confirm for you...
Old 08-12-2004, 09:11 AM
On the way!

Originally Posted by ncxvtguy83
How much did it run you to repair the rear main seal. I hear that is quite expensive.
It was under warranty, so I don't know how much it would have cost. I'm sure it would have been quite expensive though.
Old 09-19-2004, 07:41 PM
Yada, Yada, Yada

Update

Well now my leak still continues......

- after all the visits to the dealer they tell me I have a bad engine block - porous or just a bad casting.

- the dealer has ordered a new lower engine block and plans to replace it this Friday.

I'll tell you, when purchasing this car brand new last year, I never thought I would be at the dealer so many times to fix an oil leak???!!!! And by no means did I think that the engine block would be replaced........ I give up

- oh yeah, if I didn't mention, they've also replaced the main seal and oil pan.....
Old 09-20-2004, 07:55 AM
On the way!

OUCH! I wonder if they have to replace the pistons as well since they wear into the cylinders a certain way.

I know when you rebuild an engine you're supposed to mark the pistons so that you know which cylinder they go back into.
Old 10-19-2004, 08:43 PM
Yada, Yada, Yada

Update

Well, after replacing the oil pan and going in for the engine block replacement, Honda has agreed to replace my car with a 2005 TL. I have to pay some usage charges and a betterment fee (because I'm going with a 6 MT NAVI), but after some negotiating I made out very well. I have to thank PeterUbers for posting his experience and giving me some advice during the process.

So within about 60 days I will be giving back my TL-S and driving away in my 05 6MT NAVI - still deciding on the color. Thanks for everything guys, I will see you in the third gen forum, but will be peeking around in the 2nd gen now and again.

Take care.
Old 10-19-2004, 08:59 PM
Kollage is funn!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ok...WTF....is this a common thing to be giving a new car in this situation?.....that's friggin awesome IMO.....we'll miss you though.

i just don't get how that leads to a car switch?
Old 10-19-2004, 09:02 PM
Yada, Yada, Yada

It took 4+ trips to continue fixing the same problem, under Connecticut lemon law, one of the definitions of a lemon is 4 or more times to fix the same significant problem. Note that the engine block was replaced, no small repair. Also - this is not a normal occurence, the dealer was surprised to find this leak.

Note that I didn't go through the lemon law though, I went through the Better Business Bureau.
Old 10-19-2004, 09:03 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
bummer on your problems, but congrats on getting a new car