Side Motor Mount Tips

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2006 | 07:39 PM
Graphic/Web Designer

Side Motor Mount Tips

I ordered a side motor mount offline and plan on installing it this week/weekend. From what I have read in searches, it seems that I have to support the engine from below with a jack, then remove the motor mount and install the new one. It seems a bit easier said than done. Is there anything I should keep in mind when doing it or is there a particular place to support the engine from? I couldn't find a DIY so any help at all would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 09-05-2006 | 08:08 PM
Senior Moderator

If your replacing the passenger side motor mount nothing has to be done)dont have to support engine). All you have to do is unbolt it and replace it. I would recomend unbolting the 1 single bolt that conects the motor to the mount first, then remove the 2 bolts that attach the other piece to the motor. After that then remove the 3 bolts that hold the mount it self and wiggle it out. then replace in reverse order
Old 09-05-2006 | 08:30 PM
NiGhT rIdEr

Originally Posted by RelentlessOne
I ordered a side motor mount offline and plan on installing it this week/weekend. From what I have read in searches, it seems that I have to support the engine from below with a jack, then remove the motor mount and install the new one. It seems a bit easier said than done. Is there anything I should keep in mind when doing it or is there a particular place to support the engine from? I couldn't find a DIY so any help at all would be appreciated. Thanks.
if ur doing it, whip out the camera and make a DIY . I had mine changed not too long ago, but my mechanic did it.
Old 09-05-2006 | 08:52 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by bkzjimmy
if ur doing it, whip out the camera and make a DIY . I had mine changed not too long ago, but my mechanic did it.
for the side ???? You should be able to see how to do that one by looking at it. a few bolts then remove easy as that
Old 09-05-2006 | 09:09 PM
NiGhT rIdEr

Originally Posted by fsttyms1
for the side ???? You should be able to see how to do that one by looking at it. a few bolts then remove easy as that
i know but some people are handycap when it comes to doing things, me...im just lazy, i dont have the right tools either. and plus he said in the first post he was looking for a DIY so i figured he can just make his own
Old 09-05-2006 | 10:19 PM
Graphic/Web Designer

Originally Posted by fsttyms1
If your replacing the passenger side motor mount nothing has to be done)dont have to support engine). All you have to do is unbolt it and replace it. I would recomend unbolting the 1 single bolt that conects the motor to the mount first, then remove the 2 bolts that attach the other piece to the motor. After that then remove the 3 bolts that hold the mount it self and wiggle it out. then replace in reverse order
Thanks for the helpful tips! I'll give it a shot and let you guys know how I make out.

bkzjimmy, If I have time I'll make a quick DIY and post it.
Old 09-06-2006 | 09:10 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by bkzjimmy
i know but some people are handycap when it comes to doing things, me...im just lazy, i dont have the right tools either. and plus he said in the first post he was looking for a DIY so i figured he can just make his own
Before i did any work or diy'ing on a car id get the correct tools. Sears has great tool kits (that will give you all the baisice metric and english tools you would need) on sale all the time that arent much money, plus the tools them selves have a life time warranty!!

Originally Posted by RelentlessOne
Thanks for the helpful tips! I'll give it a shot and let you guys know how I make out.
If you have any questions post them (the thing you will most likely need is a long extension (12" or so)
Old 09-06-2006 | 10:10 AM
Honda+Blue=My garage

Did mine, and it wasn't too bad. You will have to unbolt the ABS from the body and lift it up a bit (Be careful not to bend the lines) to wiggle the side mount out.

Trancemission helped me do the side and front. He can give you some help along with Kris.
Old 09-06-2006 | 10:34 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by pmptx
Did mine, and it wasn't too bad. You will have to unbolt the ABS from the body and lift it up a bit (Be careful not to bend the lines) to wiggle the side mount out.

Trancemission helped me do the side and front. He can give you some help along with Kris.

That's actually the cruise control unit and you should remove the two screws holding it and the bracket in and move it out of the way.
Old 09-06-2006 | 11:27 AM
Senior Moderator

you dont have to unbolt any thing to get the mount out. It comes out with every thing in place.
Old 09-06-2006 | 12:41 PM
Honda+Blue=My garage

Originally Posted by NSXNEXT
That's actually the cruise control unit and you should remove the two screws holding it and the bracket in and move it out of the way.
We pulled the cruise control, but the lines for the ABS module were in the way also, so we unbolted and gently lifted it up while the other person worked the mount out of its space.

I thought it was a PITA to get out with all the items removed, fsttyms is a car/TL god , so we of mortal status found it educational, but tough.
Old 09-06-2006 | 01:32 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by pmptx

I thought it was a PITA to get out with all the items removed, fsttyms is a car/TL god , so we of mortal status found it educational, but tough.
thanks for the God status

as for the mount, ive had mine in and out so many times its a cake walk. if you play with it while trying to get it in and out you will see that there is a specific angle that it will just slide right in and out (not something that is easy to describe, once unbolted you will see it)