Should I replace my tire? Installer f***up

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2002 | 07:27 PM
Senior Moderator

Should I replace my tire? Installer f***up

I bought a set of Dunlop SP5000s (see .sig below) back in June. I ran over an object in August that I coulnd't avoid; this resulted in a flat driver's side rear tire. I ordered a replacement from Tire Rack and had it installed at the closest "recommended installer". Things seemed fine until I had my 15k mile service three weeks ago, during which my tires were rotated. Immediately afterward i noted my steering wheel wobbling at freeway speeds, and not during braking. Therefore was either tire or balancing. It took until today for my schedule and the dealer's to connect. The found that the new tire was mounted the wrong way!!! (These tires are DIRECTIONAL.) There was no obvious damage to the tire and as a precaution, I had all four tires remounted and rebalanced. No wobble now.

And now, the questions: Should I make the tire installer buy a new tire for me? After all, what moron can't read the tire--it says..."MOUNT THIS SIDE OUTSIDE"!

What are the chances that there is tire damage that's not apparent? I've driven about 1300 miles since the servicing 3.5 weeks ago, and about an equivalent number since the tire was mounted in August.

Next time, I'll just have the frickin tires drop-shipped to the dealer rather to some hick country tire shop!

Thanks.
Old 10-11-2002 | 03:12 PM
Racer

try, but they'll probably just laugh at you and not do anything.

no way you can really prove they screwed up. it's been so long that they'll claim you may have screwed it up or one of the other shops you've gone to messed with it.

you're sol
Old 10-11-2002 | 03:17 PM
Banned

This happened to one of my SP5000s when I had a puncture fixed. They remounted correctly and no harm done to the tire.
Old 10-11-2002 | 06:10 PM
Safety Car

Directional tires are pretty obvious, you didn't notice this when they mounted on to your car until 1300 miles later?
Old 10-12-2002 | 12:24 AM
Comptech Freak

its ok...everything will be fine

don't worrie man
Old 10-12-2002 | 02:49 PM
Burning Brakes

that could be part of it......however, maybe when you hit whatever it is you hit it bent the wheel slightly, exasturbating the vibration from the tire being mounted incorrectly.....did you have the wheel on the front, and then switch it to the back to get rid of the vibration, or did they mount them all in the same location? You will feel more vibration when the bent wheel is on the front versus when it is in the rear.
Old 10-12-2002 | 03:43 PM
Senior Moderator

I decided it wasn't worth the effort to complain. Once the tire was remounted correctly, the vibrations disappeared. The tire was inspected and is fine. I will just have to be careful in the future.

For accordv6, I didn't notice the problem at first because the tire was on the rear wheel. Once I had my 15k mile service, during which the tires were rotated, the affected tire came onto one of the drive wheels, making the problem noticeable.

For SilverUA5, I just assumed that the guys who mounted the tire could read the tire, and I simply didn't check like I should have. Stupid, yes, I admit, but I figured the installers did their job. I was just happy not to be driving with the bloody donut tire--I didn't realize how slow speeds on the freeway can potentially kill until I used this for two days!! And again, the tire wasn't on a drive wheel, so I didn't feel the reversed installation.

Thanks for the comments, folks, they're helpful.
Old 10-14-2002 | 08:56 AM
Racer

Tires are directional to improve handling, noice, economy, performance, etc. If mounted wrong - you just do not get what you paid for. You shouldn't have had vibration - I suspect that the moron who installed it did not balance it right.