Should I get Clear Bra?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2001, 09:16 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Should I get Clear Bra?

I drive on the highway alot and I already have a little damage on my front end. Does anybody recommend the 3M clear bra? I fiancee is getting it on her X5, but my color is a little darker(NBP). Wondering if it will look ugly. Does anyone have it on there car?
Old 07-18-2001, 09:23 AM
Intermediate

I have it

On my '01 Maxima. If you have the $ to spend, I would get it. Two Florida trips this summer through more bugs than you could believe has made me reassured of my choice. E-mail me if you want pics.... mpdbusiness@hotmail.com
Old 07-18-2001, 09:57 AM
Three Wheelin'

Got it on my NBP, posted pic's last week. I dropped it off this morning to have the bumper re-done, it had a defect in the adhesive that left a couple of lines. I did bumper, lights, and body kit but did do the strip on the hood, too noticeable on a dark color for me.
Old 07-18-2001, 10:40 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Question

Originally posted by bricot
Got it on my NBP, posted pic's last week. I dropped it off this morning to have the bumper re-done, it had a defect in the adhesive that left a couple of lines. I did bumper, lights, and body kit but did do the strip on the hood, too noticeable on a dark color for me.
Do you have the URL for your pics with that on?
Old 07-18-2001, 10:50 AM
Three Wheelin'

Yep, there are two sets of pictures one at the beginning and one at the end. I'll post some more once I get it back today, got new wheels and tires this weekend so I have to take some new pic's...

Xpel pics
Old 07-18-2001, 11:08 AM

Cool Most definitely recommended if you can afford the $$

if the installer makes a mistake then you can have some imperfections in it, (just like a bad window tinting job)
I had mine professionally installed, and it was pretty expensive (about $700 for the whole job)
I got the following areas covered:
leading edge of hood
front bumper
headlights
leading edges of front and rear fenders
backs of both side-view mirrors
full strip from wheelwell to wheelwell of the rear bumper.
Well worth it, I have no rock chips in any of the areas that are covered, just a couple in the areas that aren't covered. On a dark colored car, clearbra is the only way to go in my book.
Old 07-18-2001, 08:56 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 616 Likes on 294 Posts
Hey Jim who did the install?? and I am that price was including the X-pel itself, was it the precut kit or did he have to custom cut everything? Thanx
Old 07-18-2001, 11:19 PM
Sporty X type

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Hey evolaerok,never heard from my earlier posts to u about being in 'springs! YES! Get the 3M Clear Bra. It's well worth it I got mine done at Arvada radio & tint, but the guy who used to do it there, started his own place, right across from PP Acura. Go to my sig link & look @ close ups of Clear Bra on my 2k TL
Old 07-18-2001, 11:36 PM
Drifting

Originally posted by Lrpba300
Hey evolaerok,never heard from my earlier posts to u about being in 'springs! YES! Get the 3M Clear Bra. It's well worth it I got mine done at Arvada radio & tint, but the guy who used to do it there, started his own place, right across from PP Acura. Go to my sig link & look @ close ups of Clear Bra on my 2k TL
Wow, that looks really slick! $700 is very expensive, though. I can professionally remove many dings and scratches with that money.

I think X-Pel (xpel.com) sells 02 TLS bras for about $300. I'm wondering if I want to do the install myself.
Old 07-19-2001, 12:15 AM
Sporty X type

Originally posted by daverman

Wow, that looks really slick! $700 is very expensive, though. I can professionally remove many dings and scratches with that money........
Mine wasn't that expensive. If u look at the pics in my sig, front of hood, back of mirrors, it was like $280.00. It's guaranteed for life against fade, discoloring, ripping(had the right one fixed from a rock rip, free of charges) dings. I've had several cars done.. It's WORTH IT
Old 07-19-2001, 01:13 AM
Three Wheelin'

Hey, I'm sorry I didn't follow......

Originally posted by Lrpba300
up on that post...... Nice to meet you, I know who you are talking about. It's RM Window tint right? Well I thinking about doing it, but it's hard between the leather or clear......Who was your sales guy? My friends Frank and Travis are usually good people to deal with.
Old 07-19-2001, 10:14 AM

Mr Hyde

I went to Detailing Dynamics (they're now in Port Jefferson) Matt is the guy who runs the shop. They also detail my car (once per year)
I like the way Matt works, and the way he treats the car...
Give him a call, tell him Jim Wilson sent you (he should know who I am for sure) 516-944-4024
That price included the film and the following pieces were in the kit:
hood
mirrors
headlights
front bumper
corners of front fenders
lower leading edges of rear fenders

the other pieces he cut from sheets:
rear bumper (1 full sheet)
fronts of front fenders

This stuff is expensive by the foot, so the rear bumper cost over $150. Also remember that different kits are different prices. My kit is mix-n-match. I liked the hood pice of the X-pel kit (covered more paint than the others) and the bumper pieces of the Armourfend kit. So we mixed and matched the pieces I liked.
Matt's really good about that, so I have no complaints about the $$.
Old 07-19-2001, 11:35 AM

Talking

I had the ClearBra installed on my DEP and I am really happy with it. Paid around $500.00 for the entire front bumper, headlights, foglights, side view mirrors and hood.

Would definitely recommend to anyone.
Old 07-19-2001, 11:49 AM
Three Wheelin'

I paid $440 for bumper kit, headlights inner fenders (small painted areas on body kit), entire length of side body kit pieces (wrapped into the door well), body kit behind rear tires
Old 07-19-2001, 09:11 PM
Senior Moderator

Re: Mr Hyde

Originally posted by JimW
I went to Detailing Dynamics (they're now in Port Jefferson) Matt is the guy who runs the shop. They also detail my car (once per year)
I like the way Matt works, and the way he treats the car...
Give him a call, tell him Jim Wilson sent you (he should know who I am for sure) 516-944-4024
That price included the film and the following pieces were in the kit:
hood
mirrors
headlights
front bumper
corners of front fenders
lower leading edges of rear fenders

the other pieces he cut from sheets:
rear bumper (1 full sheet)
fronts of front fenders

This stuff is expensive by the foot, so the rear bumper cost over $150. Also remember that different kits are different prices. My kit is mix-n-match. I liked the hood pice of the X-pel kit (covered more paint than the others) and the bumper pieces of the Armourfend kit. So we mixed and matched the pieces I liked.
Matt's really good about that, so I have no complaints about the $$.
Thanx for the info. Port Jefferson??? As in Port Jeff Suffolk County??? I just moved from a little further east of there last September. I guess that number should have a 631 area code now instead of the 516. Thanx again
Old 07-19-2001, 11:45 PM
Three Wheelin'

Re: Re: Mr Hyde

Originally posted by Mr Hyde

Thanx for the info. Port Jefferson??? As in Port Jeff Suffolk County??? I just moved from a little further east of there last September. I guess that number should have a 631 area code now instead of the 516. Thanx again
It's not Port Jefferson, he's in Port Washington. I just called him today to get my hood done. Got the car today so the sooner I get it on the car the better.
Old 07-20-2001, 07:24 AM
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Question for those who have had a clear bra applied....

I'm assuming that it is a thin film which remains adhered at all times. How does it affect washing/waxing your car? Do you have to take special precautions? What are the chances of water seeping under the edges and getting trapped? Couldn't this also happen if a cut or tear occured due to a rock?

I'm asking because I might be interested in getting a clear bra (my '93 Integra GSR is full of rock chips on the hood!), but have some concerns about the above.

Thanks!
-djsteve
Old 07-20-2001, 01:22 PM

Whoops, my fault, sorry about that

my brain must've farted or something...
Port Washington it is...
That'w what I said the first time, right??
Old 07-20-2001, 02:00 PM
Three Wheelin'

I've tried peeling back a corner with my fingernail, once dried it stays. I don't think you will have any problems with seepage underneath. I don't do anything special to it, wash it with a mit. I was thinking of waxing in though, anyone done that? Yes it could get cut with rocks etc, but it seems to be pretty resilient. If it gets beat up over time I will replace the piece, they say it comes off pretty easy i believe they do it with a heat gun. I have already had the bumper piece replaced so it must come off without damaging the paint (the first had a defect in glue).
Old 07-20-2001, 02:27 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by bricot
I've tried peeling back a corner with my fingernail, once dried it stays. I don't think you will have any problems with seepage underneath. I don't do anything special to it, wash it with a mit. I was thinking of waxing in though, anyone done that? Yes it could get cut with rocks etc, but it seems to be pretty resilient. If it gets beat up over time I will replace the piece, they say it comes off pretty easy i believe they do it with a heat gun. I have already had the bumper piece replaced so it must come off without damaging the paint (the first had a defect in glue).

When I was talking to Matt from Detail Dynamics, he said he uses the blue 3M brand masking tape a little past the edge of the clear bra when he waxes the car. He does it so you don't get the wax build up on the egde of the clear film. I don't know if it's for preventing the film from peeling. I doub't it. Just use your common sense, don't wax against the film and don't use a power washer!
Old 07-20-2001, 02:30 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by TUFF GONG

When I was talking to Matt from Detail Dynamics, he said he uses the blue 3M brand masking tape a little past the edge of the clear bra when he waxes the car. He does it so you don't get the wax build up on the egde of the clear film. I don't know if it's for preventing the film from peeling. I doub't it. Just use your common sense, don't wax against the film and don't use a power washer!
Excellent suggestion for waxing, a wax buildup would make the edges of the clear bra stand out.

Thanks.
Old 07-20-2001, 05:59 PM
Sporty X type

Originally posted by djsteve
Question for those who have had a clear bra applied....

I'm assuming that it is a thin film which remains adhered at all times. How does it affect washing/waxing your car? Do you have to take special precautions? What are the chances of water seeping under the edges and getting trapped? Couldn't this also happen if a cut or tear occured due to a rock?

I'm asking because I might be interested in getting a clear bra (my '93 Integra GSR is full of rock chips on the hood!), but have some concerns about the above.

Thanks!
-djsteve
No water gets under it, if you don't use HIGH pressure washers for at least a week after it's done. I did have a rock come up on the right q-panel. Took it back in, he replaced it, no charge, and it never even touched the paint or clear coat! Great stuff.
Old 07-20-2001, 06:03 PM
Sporty X type

Re: Hey, I'm sorry I didn't follow......

Originally posted by evolaerok

up on that post...... Nice to meet you, I know who you are talking about. It's RM Window tint right? Well I thinking about doing it, but it's hard between the leather or clear......Who was your sales guy? My friends Frank and Travis are usually good people to deal with.
Sorry 4 not posting sooner. Was not on line yesterday. No, the place I'm talking about is in Motor City, on the corner (where u turn rt..look 2 the left) I'm at work & don't have the paper for the name! The guy who was the expert there left, & went to the place across from PP Acura. I don't remember his name, but I can get it from preludefan. Show your TL-S sometime

looked it up at home. It was Drive In Radio. I still don't know the name of the guy that used to work there & started his own business
Old 07-20-2001, 06:13 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool

I've been toying with the idea of getting this done when I (eventually) get my new car.

Has anyone in the Northern California area (Sacramento) had Xpel professionally applied? If so, where'd you go and what was the approximate cost?

Also, has anyone tried the Stongard stuff?

Thanks,

Vincent
Old 07-20-2001, 07:19 PM
Senior Moderator

Re: Re: Re: Mr Hyde

Originally posted by TUFF GONG

It's not Port Jefferson, he's in Port Washington. I just called him today to get my hood done. Got the car today so the sooner I get it on the car the better.
Nice, so how do you like your new ride???? Just keep that duffle bag away from the Trunk. something tells me that the ounch you'll get when you hit the gas will keep you from power mods............for now hehehehehe.

Any ideas how much the entire kit costs for Hood, fenders, lights, front bumper and sideview mirrors??
Old 07-20-2001, 10:07 PM
Sporty X type

Mr Hyde, u better get some Clear Bra, Xpel or something on that beauty u drive! Otherwise. I'll be pissed, that someone would let a car that great looking get dinged! J/K! I love that car, & u make me s i c k Check out the pics in my sig. there are some close ups of Clear Bra on a medium color car.
Old 07-21-2001, 05:57 PM
Senior Moderator

Hehehehe

I promise I'll do it as soon as I can