Should I 86 the Rear Wing??

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2002, 03:30 AM
Purchased: April 28, 2001

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Bitium

Dude get a life...I don't need evidence...This is a stupid subject.
Hmmm...I'm going to mark this day as the first day I've ever seen a moderator throw the first punch. I've read the entire thread from the beginning and it wasnt until this post did it really start sinking low. By no means am I defending Seotaji...but I was always under the ussumption that moderators hold the highest level of stature and actually do the opposite and prevent mud slinging as much as possible.

But...to stay on the subject, I have the bodykit. I didnt get the wing because I didnt think it was worth it for the price (dealer is asking 700)...but, if i knew this site sold the entire set BEFORE purchasing my car, I would of bought the entire package here with change to spare.

Do I think the kit + wing slow us down? Probably, just because of the weight alone, but at the same time I also think the wing would add additional downforce (regardless how minute) just because the bottom portion of the wing is curved...and yes, I'm talking about triple digit speeds here, none of which the infamous quarter mile will ever see.

BTW...if you guys really want to increase top speed, then by all means fold down the side mirrors first. I'm sure that'll do more good than anything.
Old 04-14-2002, 11:00 AM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Hood handles!

Anyways, I just thought the spoiler would look good on our cars. The TL's without the spoilers.....I always have to close the trunk from the inside (that plastic lower handle on the trunk)

Pros:
You'll have a new exterior trunk handle! LOL :wow:
Great mostly if you have the OEM bodykit, and if possible H&R springs! (PHAT!):wow:

Cons:
Based on your comments, a measly 1-3 mph......I wouldn't be flying 150 mph anyway.

I get the same just with my exhaust and springs. On campus parking lot, I had a ram air firebird (01 i think?)drive by, slammed on his brakes, put that sucker in reverse to pull back up to me and complimented me.
Old 04-14-2002, 01:19 PM
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by edgalang

Hmmm...I'm going to mark this day as the first day I've ever seen a moderator throw the first punch. I've read the entire thread from the beginning and it wasnt until this post did it really start sinking low. By no means am I defending Seotaji...but I was always under the ussumption that moderators hold the highest level of stature and actually do the opposite and prevent mud slinging as much as possible. .
sshh! You should becareful when talking about "moderators"... or you will be banned from this board. :p
Old 04-14-2002, 01:21 PM
Instructor

Hey Randy,
IMO I would get the spoiler but of course it is only a matter of opinion and taste. Do what you think is cool... Try this... just drive around town and look at all the TL's w/ and w/o spoilers. Conduct an informal pole and see what kind of people are driving them. That may help you with your decision. Good luck.

BTW I still have the Helm manual in my truck. I keep it there just in case we eventually meet up given our hectic schedules!! Give me a call.

Dean
Old 04-14-2002, 01:29 PM
Retired MOD

Originally posted by CKacura

sshh! You should becareful when talking about "moderators"... or you will be banned from this board. :p
Not by me. All I said was "dude get a life". I would never close or lock a thread if another member told another "get a life". Ok whatever.

We moderators do know have any restriction on what we could say or express our opinions. Thus we try to set an example, it does not mean we are not allowed to respond in any way we want.

I do have the power to delete/edit/any forum any topic. Even to banned anyone.
Old 04-14-2002, 02:18 PM
Pro

Not by me. All I said was "dude get a life". I would never close or lock a thread if another member told another "get a life". Ok whatever.

We moderators do know have any restriction on what we could say or express our opinions. Thus we try to set an example, it does not mean we are not allowed to respond in any way we want.

I do have the power to delete/edit/any forum any topic. Even to banned anyone.
So, did you banned Seotaji with your "super moderator" power?:p
Old 04-14-2002, 03:17 PM
Retired MOD

Originally posted by CKacura

So, did you banned Seotaji with your "super moderator" power?:p
yeah sure, why would I do that. I could, if I desire
Old 04-14-2002, 05:39 PM
Three Wheelin'

I have not posted in this topic yet but get the spoiler if you like.
I know its not functional but its more for looks. I also like the RED brakelight strip thats in it.
Old 04-14-2002, 06:22 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally posted by 2K-TL
Hey Randy,
IMO I would get the spoiler but of course it is only a matter of opinion and taste. Do what you think is cool... Try this... just drive around town and look at all the TL's w/ and w/o spoilers. Conduct an informal pole and see what kind of people are driving them. That may help you with your decision. Good luck.

BTW I still have the Helm manual in my truck. I keep it there just in case we eventually meet up given our hectic schedules!! Give me a call.

Dean
Wassup Dean!
Hey I got your message the other day, or was it the other week when you were at Sam's having the "big breakfast" meeting j/k! It's been crazy at work but let's try and hook-up this week. I'll give you a call.
It's funny...I've been doing just as you recommended and there really is no pattern. It really does add to the rear lines of the car though. Decisions decisions.... I'll make one soon..otherwise I'll have a spoiler for sale
Old 04-14-2002, 06:51 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 616 Likes on 294 Posts
How did this post get to this??

These wings/bodykits are purely for looks. No one on these boards no matter what the car M5, 911 etc routinely drives speeds where the benefits/sacrifices these pieces make would mean anything. OEM or aftermarket lip spoiler. I notice no increased stability at triple digits on the rare occasions I hit those speeds with my lip spoiler.

Also a faster top speed isnt the only test in determining functionality of a spoiler. It doesnt mean much. Many spoilers were created to give better high speed stability which may sacrifice a little speed. The add ons to the Audi TT after a few high speed crashes on the autobahn are a perfect example. Another simple one is Nascar racing. Depending on the track, spoilers are adjusted for higher top speed vs more downforce and stability which can sacrifice top end speed.

If form truely did follow function so closely we'd all be driving extremely light cars with light weight rims, etc, etc to get the best mpgs, acceleration, etc. But thats not the case at all. I rather like driving with my bodykit and spoiler equipped TL-S with soon to be equipped 19 inch rims with my leather interior, while watching the Navi, and listening to the radio with the AC on. I also incidently have power and suspension mods such as the Headers.

Last I checked most people dont drive stripped out track cars everywhere they go. Every car including the supercar M5's and 911's make performance sacrifices in the name of looks, comfort, and convenience, so theres no need for anyone to look down on someone who may do somthing to his car which may hinder performance a bit.

Bottom line I think the car looks great either way, but I lreally liked the WW lip spoiler so I decided to get it. If my only choice was the OEM spoiler I probably would have gone wingless.
Old 04-14-2002, 10:59 PM
Pro

yeah sure, why would I do that. I could, if I desire
So being a "super moderator" is like a King, i meant Queen? Cuz after all, Tim is the KING on this board.:p
Old 04-15-2002, 12:05 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally posted by Mr Hyde
How did this post get to this??

All I did was ask a question....honest.
Old 04-15-2002, 04:49 PM
Drifting

So I think it is a good idea to get back on topic here. Thanks guys.
Old 04-15-2002, 10:47 PM
Banned

Lets get back to the subject of the rear wing