Seat heater not working ??

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2003, 02:46 PM
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Question Seat heater not working ??

Since the weather's getting colder around here i've been using the seat warmers recently. But i've noticed the drivers side seat back gets really warm, fast. The seat bottom dosnt get nearly as warm, even on HIGH..

Is that how its supposed to work? The seatback warmer then the bottom? Or is the bottom one broken..

My car has 55k miles so its out of warranty.. Bought the car this summer so never really got a chance to test them out...

How hard is it to replace one of those.. Do u have to take the seat apart or something??
Old 10-24-2003, 08:10 AM
The axeman Cometh

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is actaully a common problem with our cars. My heaters have not worked for 2 years now. basically, the pads are worn out. It does require the seats to be de-assembled and the pads replaced. The quote I just got from my dealer yesterday was 350.00 parts and labor. As much as I love the warmth on those cold mornings (it was 28F this morning), I cant justify spending 350.00 for a car with 100k miles for a "non-mechanical" i.e. luxury purchase.

At 55k though, 350 is not bad for all of the work needed.

Later,

Axe
Old 10-24-2003, 09:24 AM
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
$350 isn't bad, but the bottom still gets a lil warm. Just not as much as the back part.. Can it be doen by yourself if you buy the part?

thanks..
Old 10-27-2003, 09:54 AM
Instructor

My car had the same problem and I just fixed it myself. Total cost - zero.

If you want to know how it's done, reply and I'll tell you.
Old 10-27-2003, 01:18 PM
The axeman Cometh

ABSOLUTELY!. Please let me know what you did to fix them. Personally, i dont believe my dealer that the pads are worn. My rationale is this...both the driver and passenger provide ZERO heat when turned on. I find it difficult if not impossible to believe that both would have worn out simultaneously considering the passenger seat was hardly used. I checked the fuses and they are all in tact.

I am really looking forward to your response.

Thanks a bunch...

AXE
Old 10-27-2003, 01:47 PM
BlingBling INSPIRE 32V

Originally posted by markhorowitz
My car had the same problem and I just fixed it myself. Total cost - zero.

If you want to know how it's done, reply and I'll tell you.
WTF?? Is this some kind of secret repair?

Anyways, I had same problem on my 00 TL. Driver seat back worms up fine, but not the bottom seat. The dealer replaced the heating element (#18) inside the seat under warranty.

Old 10-27-2003, 02:15 PM
Instructor

OK, I just did this yesterday so I'll give you all the gory details.

The problem with these stupid heaters is in the seat design. There is a crease on the seat and back of the TL that is held in place by a metal rod, and that rod rests on the heater element causing in to burn out.

1. Remove the seat - simply done, four screws.
2. Remove two electrical harnesses on seat bottom.
3. Remove headrest - just makes it easier to work with the seat.
4. Remove seat from car or simply flip it over to reveal underside.
5. Remove the front (4 screws) and right side (side that does not have the seat controls) plastic mouldings.
6. The seat cover is held in place by 7 O-rings which need to be bend open. Make sure to remove them after opening them and place them in a secure place, otherwise they will fall into the seat and then good luck if that happens. You can probably get away with only removing the front and right side rings (I did) for this should allow you to expose enough seat. There is definately no need to remove the clamps in the back.
7. Remove plastic clamp that holds right side back portion of seat cover.
8. Remove one large bolt from right front side of seat (you will know which one I mean, it will not allow you to peel the seat cover off while it is on.)
8. Carefully peel leather seat cover off of foam to expose heater element.
9. Turn seat back upright.
10. You will now be able to see the heater element and the problem area will be noticable by the burn in the cloth and it probably going to be where the seat crease begins.

If the problem is towards the front of the cushion you may be able to get away with skipping step 11., but I doubt it.

11. Inside the seat crease there is a bar being held in place by three O-rings just like the ones you just took off on the outside, they must be removed in order to reveal the entire element.

12. You now have the entire element exposed and as I said the short is where the cloth is burnt. Mine was burnt on two sides.

13. Cut the element wire just before the beginning of the burn and just after it ends.

14. Pull some wire out on each side by undoing a curve or two until the two ends meet.

15. Strip the wires, connect and solder.

16. Cover with good electrical tape.

17. You are now ready to close up, but before you do, put some tape and maybe some cloth between the heater pad and the crease rod so this doesn't happen again.

18. Turn seat over and reattach wire harnesses and test to make sure you fixed the problem. What a joy it was when that baby heated up like a stove.

Return crease rod and pull cover back into place.

Close up shop.

Sounds much scarier than it is. I was working without direction and the whole thing took me 2 1/2 hours. With my detailed instructions this should take you two or less.

Good luck.