seafoam spray = seafoam liquid

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2012, 07:03 PM
deal with it

Received 378 Likes on 316 Posts
Thumbs up seafoam spray = seafoam liquid

Ok so about every 2-3 months i seafoam spray my work truck straight through the throttle body, frist i open the butterfly valve and spray for a good 20 seconds, then turn on the truck and spray through the TB at idle.

Roughly i use about half a can, works great, the truck an 06 F150 runs beautifully after, my drive about 80 miles a day, and on my days off someone else uses the truck.

Now yesterday i had used the spray on the truck, tons of smoke, everything was perfect.

Today i decided to use some of the liquid form seafoam, i have an oil change coming up and figured why not, so i poured some into the oil, some into the pcv, turned on the truck and sucked some up through a vac line, not one once of smoke.

Now from this i learned one thing as far as seafoam is concerned spray and liquid give the same result when used through the throttle body or vac line, and the spray is alot easier as far as into the oil and gas tank of course the liquid is to be used
Old 06-29-2012, 07:28 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I love seafoam. I ran some through the gas and the vac line. Now im getting 2nd gear scratches (stock with intake res removed). However I have heard some bad things about putting it in the oil. 4 different people had sticky valves so poured some in hoping to fix the problem. Instead caused a whole new problem. They all 4 ended up with spun main bearings. All different makes and models so I think im gonna use marvels mistery oil with my next change istead of seafoam.
Old 06-29-2012, 07:55 PM
Pro

Received 173 Likes on 125 Posts
The spray stuff is yellowish, whereas the liquid form is clear. Doesn't look to be the same.
I tried to use the seafoam spray to clean the carbonized gunk in the IACV valve and throttle body. It didn't work! I had to scrub and scrub and it still would not dissolve it fully. Carb cleaner on the other hand dissolves it instantly.....I mean instantly! This is very disappointing considering how hyped up this product is.
I don't know how the seafoam liquid would perform on this stuff, but I bet that seafoam, like most products out there, is overrated.
Old 06-29-2012, 08:04 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 205 Likes on 180 Posts
Seafoam Deep Creep spray isn't mainly for cleaning. It's also a lubricant. It leaves behind an oily film. As far as seafoam in the oil, you need to change the oil after 30 miles of driving with it in there.
Old 06-29-2012, 08:26 PM
deal with it

Ok maybe i'm confused...i used the seafoam spray which is seafoam aerosol, not deep creep lube, as for cleaning the idle contol, carb cleaner all day,

Also "my" work truck is the companies truck not really mine, so it my official test dummy when it comes to products, I've used many things to try them out.

I've used water wetter....it does work...but also i'm in Miami, FL and i keep my coolant around 80% water, 20% antifreeze.

As far as using a product, must people blame a product after something happens, the majority of people using said product don't get any issues, so they either used the product incorrectly or the product did its job too well and gave light to an existing problem
Old 06-29-2012, 08:42 PM
Three Wheelin'

Oh ok the seafoam sort of carb cleaner. Forgot about that. I used it to clean my intake manifold. Works great.
Old 06-29-2012, 08:52 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
you should know by now that seafoam loves heat in the engine and exhaust to work its best
thats why carb cleaner beats it for basic `cold` jobs

for TB air plate you use it to leave behind a much needed lube on the pivot points of the air plate,,use carb cleaner to scrub- DC to protect

No smoke on vac or TB application= no heat
pcv? why? thats not going anywhere!!
dont use brake booster lines either- many are not feeding off all cylinders- including the TL
try warming the truck up 15 minutes freeway, then do TB method,,
shut engine off
wait 15 minutes--no more--and start engine...let stabilize as you hold slightly above idle

throw a can in the gas when its 2oz per gal fuel/ 8 gallons in tank
preferably when driving an hour or more = giving it time to work inside hot engine
cleaning injectors etc

the new seafoam spray- is for cars with electric wire sensor in TB- which doesnt like seafoams oils on it,,,its minus parts of the recipe
deep creep has 1001 uses and counting

seafoam regular liquid and deep creep are the same
Old 06-29-2012, 09:00 PM
Team Owner

note: ignore the directions on the small can and consult official website www.seafoamsales.com
that 1/3 can per area is total bunk written in 1950

modern method
oil: 1.5 ounces per Quart of oil = 1/2 can in the TL
30 minute drive suggested for max results
some ziners add and let it run in the driveway 15 minutes
I take mine for a long run, use vtec to get cleaner to the sliders
so they dont sludge up (dont get used much these days)
this time I was way over normal change time- so new filter and half can,,a few weeks/250 miles and its ready to change

MASTER vac port or thru TB- 1/2 can

gas: cleaning dose= 2 oz per gal fuel
maitenance dose= at 5000/7500 miles/at oil change- 1 oz per gal (TL tank holds 17.3gal)
Old 06-29-2012, 10:47 PM
deal with it

The truck was hot than hot my shift starts at 7am, in the roughly 10 hrs after working i did the seafoam, by this point i had already driven 60 miles at least, i was pretty busy this morning and afternoon so of those 10 hrs the truck was off maybe for 3 hrs, 2 of those were early morning when it was quiet. Its a 14 hr shift, on call, our trucks get abused

I did use a vac on the TB, i poured into the oil fill, and pulled out the pcv, i had more smoke coming from my cigarette than the exhaust.

The same thing happens with the spray if i use a good amount and get all the crap out i dont get any smoke or very, very little smoke if do it again the same day, or next day, i've been doing this for about 6 months with the spray, 1-2 a month depending on miles, and how the truck feels.

Basically what i found out today from a little test i did is that regular seafoam spray, is the same as using regular seafoam liquid when using it through the TB or vac
Old 06-29-2012, 10:53 PM
Three Wheelin'

I did seafoam in vac port after 20 mins of driving. Huge satisfying clouds.
Old 06-30-2012, 03:12 AM
Team Owner

if you really want smoke- hold rpm at 2000 while adding seafoam as fast as it will take it

PCV- where do you think that goes or helps? positive crankcase ventilation
Ok, it may clean the actual ball inside that valve,,but pouring liquid in?--
stick with spray can, and remove pcv so you can see and inspect after cleaning
= ball moves freely

you can use the `new seafoam spray` on any vehicle
Old 06-30-2012, 03:19 AM
Team Owner

`Basically what i found out today from a little test i did is that regular seafoam spray, is the same as using regular seafoam liquid when using it through the TB or vac`

NO its not! seafoam liquid or deep creep spray (same product) leave behind a special lubricating oil
new seafoam spray does NOT leave behind this oil,
which was causing probs on cars with heated sensor wire inside TB throat
they needed a product of their own

Can we use it- yes,,BUT if thru tb throat you dont get the lube on air plate hinge pin
That plate moves with every move of the throttle = clean and lubed is good~
Old 06-30-2012, 03:21 AM
Team Owner

in the work trucks- try it in the gas at 2 oz foam per gal fuel
see how much better it runs,,mpg should show improvment quickly
Old 06-30-2012, 06:30 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts
if you are going to use seafoam in your OIL you need to use the AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION version of the stuff. DO NOT use the engine version....... and you put it in right before you drive off to have your oil changed.

Personally I use the ATF stuff in th gas and in cleaning the intake and valves. Never had a problem
Old 06-30-2012, 09:50 AM
Team Owner

whats your logic there on the engine oil and transtune?

fsttyms1 our mega moderator with 450kmiles on an 00, has been using 1 can for 15 minutes at idle in driveway since car was new
often running 15kmiles between changes -on synthetic-- with new filter installed at 7500 to keep the oil clean

tore the 00 engine down for inspection when swapped in a cl-s/6 speed trans at 200
pics on here show it was in like new condition
still had honing marks in the cyclinders!
No probs with normal seafoam liquid in our oil

I have done the longer 200-300 miles/few weeks with new filter (on that now)
no probs showing
Its suggested for use by the maker in engine oil

Seafoam at its heart- is 3 different oils- each with a specific job
loosening, cleaning, and lubrication left behind

have you tried trans tune in the trans yet?
should clean selenoids and other areas we need
with weak oiling being a problem, cleaning the passages seems wise- to maintain correct fluid pressure and flow rates
of course this is all just my and several others opinion and experience
Old 06-30-2012, 10:45 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts
^ Seafoam ATF detergent is awesome at cleaning stuff out and it works well and I am not going to change it out for the other one. Trans tune did not help the original transmission last as it crapped out at 71K and that was with oil changes every 15K miles and pretty much all highwy driving......

use the same stuff in the scooter, lawn mower and snow thrower.......

I am going to do my 3x here shortly on the new AT and this is will be the 4th time in 40K miles that I have changed fluid.......
Old 06-30-2012, 04:12 PM
deal with it

ok so according to seafoam, there is no difference between the products, go to their website, if there was a difference i'm pretty sure they would say use the throttle body spray, and then use deep creep to lube, as do all companies when it comes to any product, seafoam does not state this anywhere.

i used the spray and it does leave a residue i have gotten the spray on my hands, tools, and various parts of the bay while doing this and they unless i clean them it stays with the residue for the same amount time as if i was to spray with any other lube
Old 06-30-2012, 08:57 PM
Team Owner

go read it again
new stuff is designed for cars with heated wire sensor in the TB

I have no idea what they changed in the formula but it is different- for that reason-
call tech line and talk to Jim D, the head guy

The point is NO OIL in those systems - no oil lubing allowed--electrical parts exposed!! (maybe they use plastic bushing for pin)

Yes. the other oils in seafoam will stay on your hand/car,,thats normal--its made of at least 3 specific types of oil
the new formula is for certain cars,,we are not among them
read directions for its use on their site, see pics and how we differ

have no idea whats in the atf cleaner,,
old school would use actual atf to clean engine!