Scratch in rear window tint - what to do?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2004, 04:28 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Scratch in rear window tint - what to do?

While removing my stock sub I put a scratch in my rear window tint, its not too big, maybe an inch long, and not that wide, but I'm worried it might cause the tint to start peeling (I hate peeling tint on cars, nothing looks more ghetto). Anyway, the tint shop had said before that removing the rear window tint can mess up the rear defroster so I'm not sure if I should remove the tint and get it redone, or else just let the scratch stay there. I was debating just getting some black (magic marker?) pen and filling it in, but that could end up being really ghetto. The scratch isn't that noticable at all, you have to look for it, but its still going to bug me since I know it's there...
Old 04-28-2004, 06:13 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
i scratched mine about a year and a half ago and its just fine so far, i would say leave it unless it starts to peel. you could also take a little superglue to the area to keep it from peeling. i was told by the tint installer that it is hard to take the tint off the rear window with out damaging the rear defroster. just my .02
Old 04-28-2004, 09:23 PM
10th Gear

How did u take the back apart I want to change the speaker but I dont know how to get it out???
Old 04-28-2004, 10:06 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
take the back of what apart?
Old 04-29-2004, 01:22 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by ROBTL
How did u take the back apart I want to change the speaker but I dont know how to get it out???
Here's what I did to remove the stock sub (based off of what people told me in the audio forum, you can read that thread for a picture of the sub).

First, the center of the sub cover (right above the middle rear seat) has some kind of lid / door (for lack of a better term) that you can pop off, just pop that off. I think there should be a bolt now that you'll see and need to undo, but my car didn't have one there.

Open your trunk and look up at the sub - you'll see your brake lights that are right behind the sub, with each bulb having a connector going into it (kind of like a phone jack). Just slide this out (its easy) to disconnect the brake lights.

Now (from the inside of the car) you can just slide the sub cover towards you, it seems like the rear seat is going to get in the way but just mess with it enough and it'll come out. Unscrew the 4 bolts and the sub comes right out (don't scratch your rear window like I did). I just cut the wires going to the sub then covered up the exposed wires with electrical tape, there might be a better way but after scratching my window once I decided I didn't care what happened to the stock sub.

Now reverse the directions to get the cover back on and the rear brake lights working again.

note: you'll see light shining through the hole in the rear middle seat (if you leave it open all the time) now from the 2 brake light bulbs whenever you brake, if this is going to bug you find some way to block it out.
Old 04-29-2004, 07:51 AM
All Hail the Chief

i was told by the tint installer that it is hard to take the tint off the rear window with out damaging the rear defroster
I've had my car tinted twice. Never any problems getting the first tint off. Rear defroster still works. But come on, who really uses the rear defroster anyways? I'd rather have a non-functional rear defroster than bubbly tint anyday.
Old 04-29-2004, 01:37 PM
Racer

My girlfriend says I should use nailpolish to cover up the scratch, anyone know if that's bad for the tint?
Old 04-29-2004, 02:39 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I dunno about that - you'll be able to see the polish on the window when it dries and it probably won't last long in the sun/heat. Also, if the stuff starts to get ugly or deteriorate, you’re going to be back there messing with it trying to get the polish off and could cause more damage in the long run. My advice: Leave it be, chances are that so long as something doesn't catch on the scratch and rip your tint, you'll be fine. Just be careful and keep it clean.
Old 04-29-2004, 02:57 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by JPritch
But come on, who really uses the rear defroster anyways? I'd rather have a non-functional rear defroster than bubbly tint anyday.

Where do you live?? Cuz us North East guys, rely on the rear defroster every winter, or esle, we're screwed. And also, a reputable tint shop will have no problem in taking the tint off flawlessly off the back glass, Sure its a pain in the ass, but it can be done. That what I would do if I were you and get it re-tinted. Cuz a scratch or tear like that would bug me. Expect to pay of course, cuz the labor involved in taking the reat tint off, is very tedious as so much caution has to be emphasized.
Old 04-30-2004, 01:08 PM
All Hail the Chief

Where do you live?? Cuz us North East guys, rely on the rear defroster every winter, or esle, we're screwed
Yah, I guess you have a point. I've just never had to use it myself.

But I agree that the guy should just get his window re-tinted. It CAN be done.

If you don't want it retinted, ever think about that tint spray stuff they sell? Could use it to patch up the scratch???