Sabering the TL....?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2010, 11:07 AM
-TL Love-

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sabering the TL....?

I've seen this post:
https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-tl-photograph-gallery-99/saber-up-793672/

and it really made me rethink the whole Saber concept. But, in order for me to badge a TL into a Saber i need some info on the car and so far what I know is that the Saber was for the first gen TL and then it became the Inspire I believe (?)
Is there a way to turn a 2000 TL into the Saber? would it be something along the lines of having the Honda badge and the Saber Grille and just Saber badge on it?
Old 10-09-2010, 01:28 PM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
OVER RATED!!! Whats up with everyone trying to turn it into a "saber" or "inspire"? Its the same freakin car! Why the hell do people always want it to be "oh so JDM as F*ck"?

"ACURA 3.2 TL" badge > "HONDA INSPIRE" badge all day
Old 10-09-2010, 02:00 PM
bringin lead

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
^didn't get any last night (angry)
Old 10-09-2010, 02:24 PM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
^^^ true that, and i just hate "JDM as F*ck" hype shit. Its gay, thats what it is.
Old 10-09-2010, 04:51 PM
philly flickin'

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
It gives the car a different look, better in my eyes

I didnt buy the saber grille so I could be "JDM as fuck"
Old 10-09-2010, 04:51 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by bl3ujay07
OVER RATED!!! Whats up with everyone trying to turn it into a "saber" or "inspire"? Its the same freakin car! Why the hell do people always want it to be "oh so JDM as F*ck"?

congrats on being a douche...... To each his own what he/she wants to do to their own car. This forum is to help people, not judge people or waste their time by posting a worthless message like you did.

To answer the OP's question, for the 2nd gen TL's (1999-2003) the Honda equivalent had 2 models in japan. The inspire and the saber. Both came in Type-S variants. The saber base came with a smaller 2.5 engine while the inspire base came with the 3.2. The saber base also had cloth interior etc. There are many things you can do to convert your tl, it just depends how much detail you want to go into. Obviously you won't be converting it to right hand drive, but you can do things like rear emblems, front grill, rear spoiler, door sills, shift knob, airbag, pillar emblems, side marker lights on the front fender. For the 99-01 you can get the jdm bumper with comes with factory fog lamps, but you will need the jdm bumper bar as well since its smaller. Also for 99-01 if u did the bumper conversion you will need a jdm front under spoiler for it as well if you wanted to do the factory body kit.

If you search the forum you will find people who have done both conversions for all years and you can see how some people have gone for almost all the details.
Old 10-09-2010, 05:27 PM
-TL Love-

I just like the Saber badge cause my grandfather used to work on the F-86 Saber's back in the Korean War and I am a fan of flying and especially the F-86s so the Saber badge appealed to me.
So thanks for being an asshole and assuming I am a "JDM as f*ck Ricer" because in actuality I am a MOPAR guy. Those are the Dodge/Plymouth/Chrysler muscle cars of the true muscle car era for anybody who may not know.

...I still cant fnd anywhere saying i want to be JDM as f*ck or any text that may even suggest that mindset...

Last edited by TL3.2000; 10-09-2010 at 05:30 PM.
Old 10-09-2010, 09:30 PM
Meridian

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by c0v3rr1d3
congrats on being a douche...... To each his own what he/she wants to do to their own car. This forum is to help people, not judge people or waste their time by posting a worthless message like you did.

To answer the OP's question, for the 2nd gen TL's (1999-2003) the Honda equivalent had 2 models in japan. The inspire and the saber. Both came in Type-S variants. The saber base came with a smaller 2.5 engine while the inspire base came with the 3.2. The saber base also had cloth interior etc. There are many things you can do to convert your tl, it just depends how much detail you want to go into. Obviously you won't be converting it to right hand drive, but you can do things like rear emblems, front grill, rear spoiler, door sills, shift knob, airbag, pillar emblems, side marker lights on the front fender. For the 99-01 you can get the jdm bumper with comes with factory fog lamps, but you will need the jdm bumper bar as well since its smaller. Also for 99-01 if u did the bumper conversion you will need a jdm front under spoiler for it as well if you wanted to do the factory body kit.

If you search the forum you will find people who have done both conversions for all years and you can see how some people have gone for almost all the details.
oh I learned something new today. thanks c0v3rr1d3.
Old 10-09-2010, 10:07 PM
slow tl..

^^^ true that, and i just hate "JDM as F*ck" hype shit. Its gay, thats what it is.
Your face is gay.
Old 10-10-2010, 10:30 AM
Instructor

The Saber grill on the 02-03 is sexy.
Old 10-10-2010, 11:24 AM
Rice Patrol

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by gfrg88
Your face is gay.
wow reall mature we are here aren't we
Old 10-10-2010, 02:41 PM
(ಠДಠ)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
lol what's so wrong about jdm conversion? they're oem parts

... and it's a matter of opinion; i personally like how the saber grilles look on both pre/post face lift 2g tl's. if you don't like it, so what? it's not your car, and at least it's not rice. i'm sure there are some people in japan saying, "USDM as F*ck" is overrated.
Old 10-10-2010, 02:49 PM
(ಠДಠ)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Actually both Inspire and Saber had an option for the J25 engine. They are just cosmetically different. Inspires were sold at Clio dealerships, and the Sabers at Primo and Verno. (don't hurt me lol)
Old 10-10-2010, 04:34 PM
Racer

Lol, u guys bombed on bluejay!! Even though I do agree with him on the fact that it's overrated. Most people just follow a trend and are willing to spend a lot of time and money on that. Some do it to Inspire others (watch out for the pun lol) and at times it makes me sick. On the flip side the 02-03 Saber grill looks wicked, much better then the Acura 1 IMO.
Old 10-11-2010, 03:06 PM
slow tl..

Originally Posted by V_Langs_3.2TL
wow reall mature we are here aren't we

Old 10-11-2010, 03:14 PM
Avant Garde Wheels

Received 348 Likes on 291 Posts
i rocked both.

loved both

ended with one

then swam across the ocean/sea watever
Old 10-11-2010, 03:29 PM
Bonki Ehrite!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I personally love the Sabre/Inspire look. The JDM front grill looks really good on the newer versions of the second gens(02-03) especially
Old 10-11-2010, 03:31 PM
uʍop ǝpısdn ǝdʎʇ uɐɔ ı

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
My neighbor flew the saber...
He's the two time captain of the Canadian Snow Birds (equ of Blue Angels).
He also flew with the Blue Angels.
Still does radar testing flights.
For Canada's 100 years of flight he flew across Canada in a Saber, he was with an astronaut too - i forget what plane he was flying...
Old 10-11-2010, 03:58 PM
Instructor

saber ftmfw. bluejay, keep that hatin' to yourself.
Old 10-11-2010, 05:09 PM
slow tl..

saber grille ftw
Old 10-12-2010, 09:30 AM
The Dumb One

Received 373 Likes on 249 Posts
"everyone" isnt doing this as there are only a hand full of people on here with the conversions. and im also sure every one of them doesnt care what the great "bl3ujay07" thinks about it.

your argument is invalid.
Old 10-12-2010, 09:54 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Old 10-20-2010, 12:29 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a 2000 TL and went with the JDM front bumper just for the foglights. I kept all the Acura badges and I have to say, it looks great. Just having the foglights changes the look and is very functional.
Old 10-20-2010, 02:04 PM
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

In the US, we're doing Honda conversions. In Japan, they're doing Acura conversions. I guess the grass is greener on the other side.

Last edited by eleventure; 10-20-2010 at 02:09 PM.
Old 10-20-2010, 11:22 PM
Drifting

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

I vote this man for NEXT PRESIDENT!

BlueJays just one of "those" people.......
Old 10-21-2010, 12:56 AM
Rice Patrol

^lolol

I am pretty torn between the two...while I love being different and putting the saber badges on is something that would appeal to me, I also really like the way the A badge and ACURA lettering look on the back. I've played with both, I mean after all it doesn't really matter what I keep (I took off the 3.2TL permanently) and it's just a matter of what you're into. If you like the JDM craze then by all means go for it! (Hell I'll probably be able to sell you the H badges, Grill, Grill Mesh and Saber lettering just send me a PM) Or if you like to keep it original than keep it original. The one thing I can guarantee you is that so long as you tastefully mod your TL no one will really give a damn about what you chose. the decision is solely your preference.

That being said, I've become a HUGE fan of NBP Lettering. If a thin coat is applied and then clearcoat over it, it gives a ridiculously nice Black Chrome Look. Done it to my grill and back and It's my personal favorite. And to that, No one will care that i've done it. It's not in bad taste and it's clean.

Good Luck with your modding!
Old 11-16-2010, 11:06 AM
Intermediate

This, in no way, is meant to bash or criticise anyone and I especially do not intend to make anyone feel bad about their opinion and or expressing themselves.

With that being said...

When I see a car, an '02 TL for instance, with $1,000's of 'upgrades' in wheels, lights and other after market appointments, I just have to wonder...

Don't get me wrong, I can certainly appreciate a nice set of wheels and even some modest, tasteful, 'car bling.' Since my teen days with my '67 Mustang fastback and my '69 Camaro, to my pre-dependent 20's with my '04 S4, I too spent a bunch of cash on 'appointments' but now that I'm in my 30's, I've owned and sold enough cars to have developed a pretty strong preference for investing my money as apposed to squandering it.

So, when I see pimped out cars, I know ask myself, why on earth would someone take a 12K car and slap 4K of bling on it and greatly reduce the market in which to sell it which might actually cause me to LOSE money rather than MAKE money on the investment?

A more concise question would be: Why did that person not just pool the 12K with the 4K and buy a newer, higher line model for 16K that they might appreciate just as much? The 4K would could be financed, protected by insurance and would claim a higher resale value.

For instance, a friend of mine bought an '02 TL and spent nearly 3K in upgrading the wheels, engine cover, badges, shift knob and a few other things, just to make it look like a Type S. Shouldn't he just have bought the S in the first place?

Or, a kid down the street bought a lightly used Civic Si for ~20k. Within months, he had spent over 6K on wheels, lights, body kits, and get this, Acura badging! Though it looks great (nice my taste at all but does look professional,) he could have bought a late model TL which I know he would have preferred!

Again, I don't mean to push anyone down with this, I just hope to share my opinion in a way that might inspire some to think a little differently if they so desire.

I know it's fun to tinker and add bit of character but I think that we can all get carried away sometimes and all too often, we don't realize just how much time and money we pour into rides when we could have just upgraded to better for less!

Cheers & Peace !!
Old 11-16-2010, 11:23 AM
Avant Garde Wheels

Received 348 Likes on 291 Posts
each person has their own reasons
Old 11-16-2010, 12:09 PM
Rice Patrol

^its not so much about squandering money so much as it is enjoying what you have to the fullest, and more importantly a sense of accomplishment.

I have a 2000 TL that was handed down to me and I have a 2007 X5 which I purchased when I got my job. I'll be honest in saying that I greatly enjoy my TL more than the X5.

Its not that the x5 is in anyway a bad truck, it's a very nice one with all the bells and whistles, but I don't plan on modding it in any way (its bone stock). I got the suv partly because it was a good deal and also because I need to be able to transfer boxes of stuff on a regular basis, but when it comes to driving enjoyment I would choose my TL.

Now to answer your question, i can't speak for everyone, but I know that whenever I work on my TL (however minor it may be) I feel very accomplished if the outcome is what I intended. I recently did a bit of work on it (lowered, painted the grill, cleared the headlights) and whenever I look at the car I smile because I feel good about the work I put into it.

it's not always about resale value man. I know that my TL is worth virtually nothing and for me to sell it would just be a waste. but the enjoyment I get out of it is worth so much more to me.