Rough shift

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2001, 03:12 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rough shift

Greetngs all!! I have a 01 TL with 10k miles on it. Sometimes my car shifts rough. It doesn't do it all the time though but it is not consistent enough for me to say when it normally does it or not.
Most times it seems as if it happens when doing mainly city driving or after driving on the highway for awhile then take exit ramp. Any1 else had this problem
Old 07-03-2001, 12:37 PM
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Were you in D5 or SS? The computer might not choose the best gear at the right time, or bababa... anyways, the computer can be really stupid. Now, if you were using SS mode, then you have to consider your throttle and engine rpm before and after you shift. I mean you don't have to heal and toe with this car, but you still have to play with the throttle and match the rev a bit sometimes...
Old 07-03-2001, 01:12 PM
Burning Brakes

Thumbs down

Yep, the shift quality on my TL with 19,000 miles has also degraded. It's like the computer gets confused as to my driving style or something and the torque converter has to think a second before doing its thing.

SS?!? Man, whoever suggested that SS will correct the problem must not think too much of the money he/she spent on the car. I expect that the full auto should behave correctly, and see no reason to have to use SS for a smooth shift.

As some of you on the board will recall, I have grown more and more disenchanted with my TL over the months. This transmission is one of many issues I have with the car. I test drove a Lexus SC400 1998 yesterday and am amazed how nice a luxury car really can be. The car had 48,000 miles and was light years ahead of the TL in terms of quality and refinement. I will not be buying a made-in-America Acura again, and probably not an Acura at all unless for some reason I ante up for an NSX.

After 9 months of ownership, I can really see where they cut corners on the TL to keep the price down. I wish I'd have bought a Bimmer or Lexus...
Old 07-03-2001, 02:07 PM
Drifting

Originally posted by Gomez
Yep, the shift quality on my TL with 19,000 miles has also degraded. It's like the computer gets confused as to my driving style or something and the torque converter has to think a second before doing its thing.

SS?!? Man, whoever suggested that SS will correct the problem must not think too much of the money he/she spent on the car. I expect that the full auto should behave correctly, and see no reason to have to use SS for a smooth shift.

As some of you on the board will recall, I have grown more and more disenchanted with my TL over the months. This transmission is one of many issues I have with the car. I test drove a Lexus SC400 1998 yesterday and am amazed how nice a luxury car really can be. The car had 48,000 miles and was light years ahead of the TL in terms of quality and refinement. I will not be buying a made-in-America Acura again, and probably not an Acura at all unless for some reason I ante up for an NSX.

After 9 months of ownership, I can really see where they cut corners on the TL to keep the price down. I wish I'd have bought a Bimmer or Lexus...

Man, I know exactly how you feel. I have many problem with my TL, and I wish I brough the Bimmer/Lexus, too. I could afford it, but thought the TL is a better value. Value my ass!!! You get what you paid for. They cut corners for sure. So, I will never by another car that is made in USA, or another Acura for sure!! Because of the quality and their attitude at the dealers.

Now, I didn't say that the SS mode should fix the problem or you should use the SS mode. What I am saying is that if you downshift from 4 to 2 with out give gas, then of course you the shift will get kinda rough. If it's in D5, then that's because of the sutpid computer or should I say poor written software!!! And even with SS mode I have troubles, mostly with the 2-3 shift.

I am glad that there are people agree with me on the quality issue with the Acura...
Old 07-03-2001, 07:24 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I too am experiencing this and have set up a meeting with the Southeastern Acura Representative.
Old 07-03-2001, 09:35 PM
Instructor

What other issues are you guys having?? I love my car, I just hate when the transmission gets in one of its moods. I also have problems with my knees aching after being in the seat for a while, just can't seem to find and keep a good driving position. I'm not sure if I have bad knees or is it the car. I haven't had a car that fits me just right since I had my 82 Nissan Stanza back when I was in college, and I'm only 5'8'' 180 lbs.
Old 07-03-2001, 09:36 PM
Instructor

Oh, b4 I forget I hardly ever drive in ss. I love automation!!
Old 07-04-2001, 02:39 AM
Instructor

having same problems...i say we petition honda/acura, and get brand new cars (that have been fixed)...hehehe...if possible, let's get this done...the car wasn't THAT cheap to begin with...I can relate to the people who are regretting buying the TL over the bimmer...my dealer (at the time) sold both Acura and BMW cars...BUT i chose the TL for the "value"
Old 07-04-2001, 03:13 AM

Question The TL Type S

Im new to this forum and to cars in general. I currently drive a 1988 acura integra and have had no problems with this car at all. I have run it into the ground, and it still gets up every morning. I have test drove several new cars and am looking for a new car. The Tl type s was really at the top of my list. I love acura, but now I am rethinking my future purchase. Do you know it Acura has fixed any of the previously mentioned problems with the tranny in the 2001 models. I am also looking for some other suggestions of cars from anyone out there, hopefully with some killer web sites. Please let me know.
Old 07-04-2001, 06:43 AM
jr
Instructor

Unhappy

i have the same deal it seems like the converter does not know what to do like it gets jerky sometimes but not changing gears, i guess what i want to say is at 40 mph you take your foot of the gas in auto or man and the car will seem to chug lightly but it can also make your head move bake and fourth. only got 2800 miles on it and the dealer said, well never mind that crack smokers is what they are.all dealers suck!!!! sorry for the long post!
Old 07-04-2001, 09:06 AM
Drifting

Okay, here are the problem that I am having with my car

1. The "Engine Check Light" came on 8 times, and it's not fixed after they changed the ECU, and the only thing they can do in the mean time is to reset it. Commom bug on 2000 TLs, I am just one of the worse cases. Now, this alone is enough for me to sell the car and get something else...

2. The tranny issue, and mine have problem upshift from 2-3. I am sure that the speed and rpm are okay for the car to shift, and the tranny didn't just shift from 1-2. So, there shouldn't be any other reason why the computer won't allow me to do so.

3. annoying noise from driver's seat and rear seats

4. I realized after I got my car for a while that I don't get enough knee room!!! I am 5 10, perhaps my legs are kinda long, or perahps my arm is too short, whatever it is. I can't find position where I can reach the steering wheel at easy and have enough knee room. Sure telescoping steering wheel will help. But if I also noticed that they have less space under the steering colume compared to the Bimmer & Lexus.

5. the dealers suck............

Now, on top of all that, I would love to pay more for full leather seat, and perhaps something else other than the fact wood trim...
Old 07-04-2001, 10:10 AM
Drifting

If you've taken a car in for servicing many times for similar problems, you may be able to take advantage of the lemon laws in your state. You may be eligible for a refund or a replacement vehicle.
Old 07-04-2001, 02:59 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by SL1200MK4
Okay, here are the problem that I am having with my car

1. The "Engine Check Light" came on 8 times, and it's not fixed after they changed the ECU, and the only thing they can do in the mean time is to reset it. Commom bug on 2000 TLs, I am just one of the worse cases. Now, this alone is enough for me to sell the car and get something else...
Does the dealer ever check to see what code the ECU is storing? Something is causing the Check Engine light to come on... if they don't fix that they can replace the computer every week and it will NEVER go away. Who said this was a "common problem" for 2000 TLs?

2. The tranny issue, and mine have problem upshift from 2-3. I am sure that the speed and rpm are okay for the car to shift, and the tranny didn't just shift from 1-2. So, there shouldn't be any other reason why the computer won't allow me to do so.
Unfortunately, it seems that several people have experienced transmission-related problems. Have you brought this to the attention of your dealer?

3. annoying noise from driver's seat and rear seats
What kinda of noises? My driver's side front seat was making a creaking noise for which my dealer ordered a new seat frame which they determined to be bent. I take it in this Friday for the install...

4. I realized after I got my car for a while that I don't get enough knee room!!! I am 5 10, perhaps my legs are kinda long, or perahps my arm is too short, whatever it is. I can't find position where I can reach the steering wheel at easy and have enough knee room. Sure telescoping steering wheel will help. But if I also noticed that they have less space under the steering colume compared to the Bimmer & Lexus.
This isn't a design problem of the car, really. I'm 6'7" and besides fitting into the TL pretty comfortably, I make sure I test drive any cars I'm going to potentially purchase thoroughly enough so that issues like this will appear before I plop down my money.

5. the dealers suck............
This, of course, varies from place to place. It seems as though you've had unpleasant experiences with your dealer... have you tried taking the car to another dealer? I'm lucky enough to be dealing with a first rate dealer, but there are a few others near me that I could go to if I was unhappy with the original one. I have nothing but praise for Rick Case Acura thus far...

Now, on top of all that, I would love to pay more for full leather seat, and perhaps something else other than the fact wood trim...
The wood is obviously fake, but it's not too bad. There's not really anything at this price point that has real wood in it. As for the seats, the vast majority IS covered in real leather. The only vinyl on the seating surfaces are the "trim" pieces which make up only a small fraction of the total surface area -- and I find that even that is of high quality.